Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Seems like I missed an interesting weekend of games.

The first game seems to show how good the team can be.
    The second game seems to show that talent won't be enough. While I don't think "crushing souls" will be done, I'm sure that Coach will try something to make sure that does not happen again.

UConn will be a good test - they have improved since their AHC days.

On the plus side conference wise, the league is off to a good start in OOC. Hopefully, the Tigers can add to that stat in a good way.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Surprised to see that as of today there are still tickets available for Blue Cross. UCONN is a pretty big and famous school, plus is relatively close. Surprised they seem to be selling tickets slower, especially after back to back AHC championships and a larger than ever student body.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Surprised to see that as of today there are still tickets available for Blue Cross. UCONN is a pretty big and famous school, plus is relatively close. Surprised they seem to be selling tickets slower, especially after back to back AHC championships and a larger than ever student body.
        Last year it didn't sell out until the night of (likely with intervention from the athletic department).
        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
          Last year it didn't sell out until the night of (likely with intervention from the athletic department).
          For a few years, they seemed to be selling out faster and faster. A few days before the game, a week before, I think Michigan was like 3 weeks before? And now it seems to be getting closer to the game again. People don't want to come see the Tigers lose. I'm not advocating for "easier" opponents, but they need to have a balance between having a sellout and the quality of opponents they schedule.
          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
          Men's Frozen Four 2010
          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

UCONN is a pretty big and famous school, ...
            In Basketball
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              I get the distinct impression that Coach doesn't think it's his job to instill discipline or attitude; he consistently blames the captains and upperclassmen when there's a breakdown.
              Powers &8^]
              I was thinking the same thing the instant I heard him call out the upperclass leadership (again) on the radio that night. I can't even count the number of times we've heard Coach call out his players, captains, upperclassmen, and leadership on the air after a discipline breakdown. I remember early in his very first season at RIT how much he groused game after game about the number of penalties the team was taking. Well that hasn't really consistently improved all these years later. Is that the captains' fault? I agree that on-ice leadership is important, but game after game, season after season, he calls them out and rarely, if ever, admits any of it falls on himself or his coaches. Of course that's not to say that he isn't doing that behind closed doors, but the public impression is that he thinks it's all the players' faults.
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                I was thinking the same thing the instant I heard him call out the upperclass leadership (again) on the radio that night. I can't even count the number of times we've heard Coach call out his players, captains, upperclassmen, and leadership on the air after a discipline breakdown. I remember early in his very first season at RIT how much he groused game after game about the number of penalties the team was taking. Well that hasn't really consistently improved all these years later. Is that the captains' fault? I agree that on-ice leadership is important, but game after game, season after season, he calls them out and rarely, if ever, admits any of it falls on himself or his coaches. Of course that's not to say that he isn't doing that behind closed doors, but the public impression is that he thinks it's all the players' faults.
                Ha...the only way period 2's meltdown was Wilson's fault is if he told them to go take bad penalties or allowed them to watch Taylor McReynolds penalty highlight videos during the first intermission!
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

In Basketball
                  Name recognition is name recognition. So much of why many of us want to leave AHC for ECAC is because of the name recognition of the schools we'd be playing, and I've seen it opined many times that that would improve attendance. Cornell and Yale and Harvard aren't famous for hockey, they are just famous. Same with UCONN - everyone knows the name.

But I agree with mar, it's pretty clear that after years of getting beat down at homecoming it's hard to be excited about it as a fan. I know plenty of season ticket holders who forgo the hike downtown "just to see them lose". I think UCONN is beatable..but years worth of not beatable teams have created a reputation. I've been going to homecoming for like 6-7 years and we've only won 1 game - and it took a last second tying goal even then..
                  RIT

Comment

In Basketball
                    Exactly. BC and Michigan are big time hockey schools. Bowling Green is not. Niether is UConn.

Comment

But I agree with mar, it's pretty clear that after years of getting beat down at homecoming it's hard to be excited about it as a fan. I know plenty of season ticket holders who forgo the hike downtown "just to see them lose". I think UCONN is beatable..but years worth of not beatable teams have created a reputation. I've been going to homecoming for like 6-7 years and we've only won 1 game - and it took a last second tying goal even then..

So you're saying that they should stop having these homecoming games at the BCA? When I was in the area, it was a great event...even with the losses and the beat-downs. I think it's an opportunity to for the school and team to showcase its major athletic program and introduce a lot of freshman students to the program and convert them from occasional attendees to more die-hard fans. The corner crew and the team need to have a pipeline or the fan base might take a serious beating.

It was said earlier 'People move on' when talking about this forum but for the threads to be vibrant, new people need to join to keep the conversation going. The same goes for the hockey program and bringing in the big names or teams they normally don't play for homecoming gets a larger audience than you'd get with an RMU or AFA. It's like any other marketing program, you create a big event, in this case, homecoming games with a larger number of seats at the BCA and hope that X amount of those fans keep coming back to the rink on campus for more.

I was at that lone win and it was probably one of the most exciting games to be at and the sell-out crowd made it even better.
                      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Name recognition is name recognition. So much of why many of us want to leave AHC for ECAC is because of the name recognition of the schools we'd be playing, and I've seen it opined many times that that would improve attendance. Cornell and Yale and Harvard aren't famous for hockey, they are just famous. Same with UCONN - everyone knows the name.
                        Actually, in college hockey circles, Cornell, Harvard, and Yale are relatively well thought of programs. Their name recognition to the rest of the world has nothing to do with any sports (except maybe the Harvard Yale football game), let alone hockey.
                        ECAC has the Ivy League schools with name recognition (again, not for sports), but that's it. St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, and Union are all D-III schools, regionally well known in general but not nationally, nor for sports outside of hockey. Colgate is only known for getting beat by SU in hoops once per year. Quinnipiac is known nationally, but just for polls. At least AHC has Army and Air Force. From an athletic standpoint, they may have more recognition than any of the Ivies. Also Canisius, Niagara, Robert Morris, Holy Cross, and Sacred Heart are at least as well known nationally for sports as Colgate, Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth are.

Comment

Wow look what I started, I think I should appoint myself Wayne Wilson's Shrink. I'll work on him getting him to admit what he has to work on...

A good coach will always push for more on the leadership front, that is not throwing anyone under. Just a reminder that it takes team work and a team to push itself to be better always. If Wayne stops doing that then it will be time for him to go...
                          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule
                          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

As much as some of the AHC schools have national name recognition I think the majority of RIT fans would be thrilled to have the Tigers in the ECAC. Having the Ivies regularly come into GPC and traveling to their barns would do more for RITs program than staying in the AHC despite the trips to the NCAA's. As far as the non -Ivies in the ECAC it does not hurt that RIT would be rubbing elbows with engineering powerhouses like RPI and Clarkson. Just my opinion, FWIW I have family that went both to RIT and RPI and have always felt that more collaboration between the schools could only benefit RIT and not hurt them, the schools often compete for the same students.

With regards to Coach Wilsons coaching style the only thing I questioned from the RoMo game was the decision not to call a timeout but based on those who saw the game 'live' the 5-1 lead evaporated so fast that there was little to be done.. We all like to say that the two goal lead is the most dangerous, so when the game went to 5-3 why not call a timeout and re-calibrate the team? Slow things down a bit.

As far as The Brick City Homecoming game, like many have said some of the games were duds but it does give RIT a chance to promote itself to many non hockey fans. And if some of those folks become fans I think the game in its present format should continue. I saw plenty of non hockey fans jumping out of their seats when RIT came back to tie Michigan 4-4 before eventually falling. I was high fiving and hugging all kinds of folks when Mike Colevecchia scored that highlight reel goal after going through the Michigan defense. That was good for RIT and its hockey program.
                            Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-13-2016, 02:59 PM.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I don't think anyone is calling for RIT to ditch homecoming at Blue Cross all together. But I do see the argument that the trend of scheduling "unbeatable" teams for it has dampened the enthusiasm somewhat.

Although I know coach has said playing such tough competition early in the season is good for the team, it would be nice to see a few wins here. I'd be in favor of sticking to ECAC or lower-tier Hockey East opponents for these games. It would provide the name recognition needed to draw non-hockey people in while still giving the team a chance to win and create a more positive experience.
                              RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
                                I don't think anyone is calling for RIT to ditch homecoming at Blue Cross all together. But I do see the argument that the trend of scheduling "unbeatable" teams for it has dampened the enthusiasm somewhat.

Although I know coach has said playing such tough competition early in the season is good for the team, it would be nice to see a few wins here. I'd be in favor of sticking to ECAC or lower-tier Hockey East opponents for these games. It would provide the name recognition needed to draw non-hockey people in while still giving the team a chance to win and create a more positive experience.
                                Note that we got Michigan and BC right after our Frozen Four season. The top teams will rarely play a road game against a team like RIT unless they see it will help them in pairwise in the SOS department.

Comment

Working...
                                X