Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 735

Thread: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

  1. #1
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,346

    >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Getting a new thread started because I found this odd post today on Facebook:

    https://www.facebook.com/ritproducti...94209874205572

    Anyone have any clue why they'd move the SportsZone broadcast down to a corner of the concourse? They'll have no good view of the on-ice action, people standing and walking directly behind them while they're on-camera, and it takes up precious concession space. The third-floor space was custom-built for broadcasting; what could possibly be wrong with it after two years?


    Powers &8^]

  2. #2
    Too many tools is an oxymoron
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Thanks for starting up the season thread. It has been strange and somewhat embarrassing for there to be less activity on the Tigers than either the Bentley or AIC threads.

    Can't see moving the TV crew to the concourse level. Way too many distractions.But, Maybe the WITR guys wanted a more space for the massage tables, hot tub, and buffet. ;-)

    On the hockey side of things, the incoming class looks good and certainly adds a lot of offensive depth. Will be interesting to see how the new guys on D fit in, and if they can cover the loss of Kuqali and Amlong.

    Also, any news on the presidential search. That may hove more of an impact on the future of Tiger Hockey than anything.
    John Nabors

    RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

  3. #3
    RIT Alum '07
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medina, NY
    Posts
    85

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    The new set is for the SportsZone LIVE Pregame show:

    https://twitter.com/RIT_SportsZone/s...14449064529921
    TIGERS HOCKEY
    Rochester Institute of Technology

  4. #4
    Wilson's Self-Appointed Shrink...
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,814

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Boy this thread is off to an insightful start...
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

    Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03


    "Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

    "If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    Boy this thread is off to an insightful start...
    The Cheetah is the fastest land animal reaching speeds up to 96 mph. Hope this was helpful too!

    The schedules out, the recruits have been identified, the stadium is a couple of years old...not much else to talk about except the weather at this point.

    Have a happy August!
    RIT Tigers

    Spring has come early as has the end of the hockey season, sigh!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer777 View Post
    The Cheetah is the fastest land animal reaching speeds up to 96 mph. Hope this was helpful too!

    The schedules out, the recruits have been identified, the stadium is a couple of years old...not much else to talk about except the weather at this point.

    Have a happy August!
    Falcons may be faster than Cheetahs, but putting the puck in the net is key. Looking forward to Tigers visit at the JAR the last weekend of October.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Falcons may be faster than Cheetahs, but putting the puck in the net is key. Looking forward to Tigers visit at the JAR the last weekend of October.
    Yep, I'll be there, eating bad concession food and watching the home crowd go home with sad faces!

    Oh, you do realize that a Falcon is not a land animal, right? I sometimes wonder about you UNH grads!

    1.5 months to go until the ponds are frozen again!
    RIT Tigers

    Spring has come early as has the end of the hockey season, sigh!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    43

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer777 View Post
    Yep, I'll be there, eating bad concession food...
    You're not kidding. That "food" is some of the worst I have ever had. I ordered a slice of pizza, thinking that was a safe bet. The guy serving it gave me 2 slices for the price of 1 since I was from out of town, and he said it was my lucky day because it was really good that day... It was disgusting. If that's the really good pizza, I never want to try the normal pizza. The other people around me ordered pretzels, and they were equally terrible. They had the texture of chalk and had absolutely no flavor.

  9. #9
    Should've bought bing.com
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    433

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Getting a new thread started because I found this odd post today on Facebook:

    https://www.facebook.com/ritproducti...94209874205572

    Anyone have any clue why they'd move the SportsZone broadcast down to a corner of the concourse? They'll have no good view of the on-ice action, people standing and walking directly behind them while they're on-camera, and it takes up precious concession space. The third-floor space was custom-built for broadcasting; what could possibly be wrong with it after two years?


    Powers &8^]
    Maybe it's just for the pre-game show? That could be a cool location with people milling around in the background for the pre-game show, at least. I would hope that the Corner Crew would stand behind them and cheer, hold up signs, etc.
    RIT Tigers!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

    2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    30

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    It is for a 1/2 hour pre-game show to replace the old weekly RIT Sportszone show.
    Warning: I'm Loud and Obnoxious at Hockey Games!

    "With the lights out in the arena moments before players skated onto the
    ice, Cornell supporters began a 'Let's Go Red' chant that was tersely
    drowned out by RIT fans in the boisterous crowd of 5,142." The Ithaca Journal.

  11. #11
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,346

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Wait, no more weekly RIT SportsZone? Hasn't it been winning awards?


    Powers &8^]

  12. #12
    Wilson's Self-Appointed Shrink...
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,814

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Wait, no more weekly RIT SportsZone? Hasn't it been winning awards?


    Powers &8^]
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

    Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03


    "Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

    "If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,715

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer777 View Post
    Yep, I'll be there, eating bad concession food and watching the home crowd go home with sad faces!

    Oh, you do realize that a Falcon is not a land animal, right? I sometimes wonder about you UNH grads!

    1.5 months to go until the ponds are frozen again!

    Oops, I missed the words 'land animal." But, you will be the one going home with a sad face if you eat any of the concession food.

    Also, I guess that ponds must freeze a lot earlier in western New York than in eastern Massachusetts.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Oops, I missed the words 'land animal." But, you will be the one going home with a sad face if you eat any of the concession food.

    Also, I guess that ponds must freeze a lot earlier in western New York than in eastern Massachusetts.
    Well, with plumbing, they most certainly do.

    I'm about 70 miles southeast of Thornton but it gets plenty cold here too!
    RIT Tigers

    Spring has come early as has the end of the hockey season, sigh!

  15. #15
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,346

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    What? I'm serious; they won a College Emmy Award in 2012 for Best Newscast.

    In other news, RIT hockey games won't be broadcast to on-campus residents this year; RIT is moving away from TWC to a streaming service for cable television.


    Powers &8^]

  16. #16
    Too many tools is an oxymoron
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    In other news, RIT hockey games won't be broadcast to on-campus residents this year; RIT is moving away from TWC to a streaming service for cable television.
    Powers &8^]
    Can you expand on this?
    John Nabors

    RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

  17. #17
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,346

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by XCTiger View Post
    Can you expand on this?
    I heard about it on Reddit. Rather than try to repeat it and get something wrong, I'll just point you to the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/rit/comment...ef_source=link


    Powers &8^]

  18. #18
    Too many tools is an oxymoron
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I heard about it on Reddit. Rather than try to repeat it and get something wrong, I'll just point you to the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/rit/comment...ef_source=link
    Powers &8^]
    Thanks for the link. From what’s on Reddit, sounds like RIT is changing it's on-campus cable provider. Sounds good to me, I'd drop TWC too if I had a viable alternative. I guess my question now is are they pulling home hockey broadcasts from TWC sports as well? Honestly, the only positive about TWC for me here in Utica is the availability of the Tiger hockey broadcasts.
    John Nabors

    RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

  19. #19
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,346

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by XCTiger View Post
    I guess my question now is are they pulling home hockey broadcasts from TWC sports as well?
    My understanding is no. I can't imagine why they would; while it sucks that students on campus won't be able to watch the broadcast, it would suck more to have it unavailable to the larger community.

    My apologies if I wasn't clear about what aspect of RIT was dropping what aspect of TWC. I see now my post was ambiguous.


    Powers &8^]

  20. #20
    Too many tools is an oxymoron
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I see now my post was ambiguous.
    Powers &8^]
    Yes, but not as ambiguous as my question.

    I re-read the Reddit thread, and saw one comment that indicated that the home games would be staying on TWC Sports. Of course now with the migration of TWC to Charter, who knows if TWC Sports will even exist in the future.
    John Nabors

    RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •