Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 755

Thread: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

  1. #141
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Unless I'm mistaken, probation is basically a warning saying "don't do something like this again," but carries no real weight. I'd be reluctantly agreeable to this.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #142
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,055

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, probation is basically a warning saying "don't do something like this again," but carries no real weight. I'd be reluctantly agreeable to this.
    I meant suspension, which I believe is what he got, according to the allegation and the records. He couldn't be on campus, or enroll for classes for 3 semesters. It doesn't change my opinion that it was overkill.

    You are correct though. Mea culpa.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  3. #143
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I meant suspension, which I believe is what he got, according to the allegation and the records. He couldn't be on campus, or enroll for classes for 3 semesters. It doesn't change my opinion that it was overkill.

    You are correct though. Mea culpa.
    And my bad for not realizing the mistake. Yes, a suspension is way too much. Probation (at worst) is appropriate. IF all the people in power had sat him down and communicated, and worked out the misunderstanding, a written notice of some kind just to have on record would have sufficed for my tastes. At best, no notice of any kind, just a verbal "don't do that again." At worst, some sort of probation.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #144
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shouting it from the Chugach Mountains
    Posts
    17,307

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I think you're understating Public "Safety"'s culpability, and I'd be curious as to how 18 months of probation is fair from your point of view, but time will tell.
    Conduct probation itself doesn't really mean anything aside from "if you fark up again during this period we fry your ***" (though it can prevent you from enrolling in some student orgs or running for officer positions.) I got 6 months for coming back to the dorms tipsy once and getting caught by a ballbuster RA. I did really like the focus on reflection/counseling during the probation, though. Fine, 12 months.

    If he does it again, drop the banhammer, absolutely.

    ETA: It was a full suspension with campus ban, but was dropped to probation and the ban lifted after the Student Affairs board met.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

  5. #145
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Conduct probation itself doesn't really mean anything aside from "if you fark up again during this period we fry your ***" (though it can prevent you from enrolling in some student orgs or running for officer positions.) I got 6 months for coming back to the dorms tipsy once and getting caught by a ballbuster RA. I did really like the focus on reflection/counseling during the probation, though. Fine, 12 months.

    If he does it again, drop the banhammer, absolutely.

    ETA: It was a full suspension with campus ban, but was dropped to probation and the ban lifted after the Student Affairs board met.
    At tUMD, for drinking, it was a warning, then community service/counseling, then banhammer from the dorms. Once off the dorms, I think the third offense was suspension/expulsion, depending on circumstances, in addition to any legal repercussions (drunk in public, etc)
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #146
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,055

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Conduct probation itself doesn't really mean anything aside from "if you fark up again during this period we fry your ***" (though it can prevent you from enrolling in some student orgs or running for officer positions.) I got 6 months for coming back to the dorms tipsy once and getting caught by a ballbuster RA. I did really like the focus on reflection/counseling during the probation, though. Fine, 12 months.

    If he does it again, drop the banhammer, absolutely.

    ETA: It was a full suspension with campus ban, but was dropped to probation and the ban lifted after the Student Affairs board met.
    The questions are...

    ...What was the intent of Schultz's post?

    ...what was Ryan Grainger's history with MTU?

    ...why did Dean Gorman pursue Schultz, in lieu of Grainger, after it became clear Grainger edited the orginal post?

    ...what was Dean Gorman's authority as far as expulsions, after a decision had already been rendered by a panel?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  7. #147
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The questions are...

    ...What was the intent of Schultz's post?

    ...what was Ryan Grainger's history with MTU?

    ...why did Dean Gorman pursue Schultz, in lieu of Grainger, after it became clear Grainger edited the orginal post?

    ...what was Dean Gorman's authority as far as expulsions, after a decision had already been rendered by a panel?
    Enquiring minds want to know!
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5XvBYfxU_dM/St...png?imgmax=800
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #148
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,055

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Ha. Stop.

    I want serious answers.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  9. #149
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Ha. Stop.

    I want serious answers.
    I do, too, but your post required an obligatory response, based on the presentation of your questions.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #150
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,055

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I do, too, but your post required an obligatory response, based on the presentation of your questions.
    "The answer to these questions, and many more, on the next episode of the WCHA"

    I missed that part.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  11. #151
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    "The answer to these questions, and many more, on the next episode of the WCHA"

    I missed that part.
    Nice call on the snark!

    I think they over-reached, and wanted to prove themselves to save face. Or something like that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #152
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,815

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    What he posted was moronic. He obviously intended to get a reaction with the way that he wrote it and that's exactly what he got. Even had he just wrote, "I'm going to shoot all black people tomorrow a smile" and left out the .... it would have received far less scrutiny albeit I guarantee it would still garner attention. He put himself at risk. He doesn't deserve the level of punishment he's received to this date at all, but people need to be careful.

  13. #153
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    What he posted was moronic. He obviously intended to get a reaction with the way that he wrote it and that's exactly what he got. Even had he just wrote, "I'm going to shoot all black people tomorrow a smile" and left out the .... it would have received far less scrutiny albeit I guarantee it would still garner attention. He put himself at risk. He doesn't deserve the level of punishment he's received to this date at all, but people need to be careful.
    .
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #154

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,102

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  15. #155
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,280

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If the story turns out to be true then I cant blame the cop...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    If the story turns out to be true then I cant blame the cop...
    Problem is you can never take the cops' side at face value. I mean I guess if the kid had a death wish and pulled it out of his waistband right as the cops showed up then that version would make sense but that seems unlikely.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.

  17. #157
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,938

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    It's just as unlikely they killed him in cold blood.

  18. #158
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,280

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Problem is you can never take the cops' side at face value. I mean I guess if the kid had a death wish and pulled it out of his waistband right as the cops showed up then that version would make sense but that seems unlikely.
    No offense but that is a helluva lot more believable than they saw random black kid and decided to shoot him cause...reasons! I know it is not a popular thought but cops are innocent until proven guilty as well.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  19. #159
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,826

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    No offense but that is a helluva lot more believable than they saw random black kid and decided to shoot him cause...reasons! I know it is not a popular thought but cops are innocent until proven guilty as well.
    This. Saw a pic of the gun.....um....that's just dam scary right there. It looks like a "real" gun (forgive the quotes, you know what I mean)
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #160
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,055

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    What parent allows their 13 year-old kid to handle or possess any kind of gun unsupervised? Especially in a densely populated area. Christ. My dad would've grounded me for weeks if I had taken the pellet gun out for a tour of the subdivision. In our house guns were for the range, or the field/woods - not dicking around town with.

    I'm all for holding cops accountable when they screw up, but culpability is a two-way street. I'd like to see some accountability from the parents in these cases.

    It's also time to ask why manufacturers make pellet guns that are stylized replicas of military/police-issue handguns.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •