Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    He's not even close. That's my record and it will NEVER be broken.
    You don't count cuz you're doing it on purpose. It's like Reverse Woofing: the gods factor in intent.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!
    Who didn't see that one coming a mile away...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Alien With an Attitude

Who says we cops don't have a sense of humor?

https://youtu.be/D9BlJ6gfGNA

As reported in Thursday’s Winnipeg Sun, the theft occurred Aug. 15 in Russell, Man., when two men broke into and robbed a beer store. The surveillance video shows a man wearing mitts or gloves, a large coat, and ball cap running across a parking lot and shattering the store’s door, then crawling inside and stealing a couple cases of beer before bolting.

Here’s the uber-Canadian part of the story: the second suspect, trailing behind his cohort, was dressed in goaltender gear, complete with a goalie stick.

However, he may have been a defenceman or forward in disguise as he was wearing jersey #17 — a non-traditional number for goalies,” RCMP said in a release, clearly enjoying the comedic outfit used by the suspect. “He is described as having a medium build, wearing a blocker, trapper, and carrying a goalie stick.”

RCMP ask that with anyone with information about the theft or who has played a goalie matching this description to call them.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

https://youtu.be/D9BlJ6gfGNA
    Nice

Saw that story and instantly thought of Lee Worley, the goalie in the old Nike commercials; there was one where he tried to rob a bank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMb1M5OycA
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Alien With an Attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Saw that story and instantly thought of Lee Worley, the goalie in the old Nike commercials; there was one where he tried to rob a bank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMb1M5OycA
    My favorite goalie commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMb1M5OycA[/QUOTE]

That;s the same commercial.

Alien With an Attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    That;s the same commercial.
    Stupid tablet wouldn't copy the right one.

Here it is.

https://youtu.be/Wqk3b7a1VWA
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Stupid tablet wouldn't copy the right one.

Here it is.

https://youtu.be/Wqk3b7a1VWA
    That was a good one.

Lucia Apologist

My favorite is the "Basketball would be better be if it were hockey" with the goalie sitting on the basketball hoop.

Oh, we already know about it. Shoot someone, clear yourselves of wrongdoing, and then laugh about it at the bar.

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Oh, we already know about it. Shoot someone, clear yourselves of wrongdoing, and then laugh about it at the bar.
    Spare us your cheap righteousness, flag. When is comes to living off made-up facts, you are the master.

Spare us your cheap righteousness, flag. When is comes to living off made-up facts, you are the master.
    http://www.copblock.org wishes to refute your attacks.

I've seen Copblock. It's basically Freerepublic, except it's for gorillas who like to vent their spleen at all things police/military. Otherwise, it's the same subhuman level of IQ and blind hate in the comments.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Breaking news: A Nikon is a weapon. http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...recording-man/

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Breaking news: A Nikon is a weapon. http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...recording-man/
    Somewhere/somehow/somewhen the police training has changed that cops are now in a live fire combat zone rather than a community.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Somewhere/somehow/somewhen the police training has changed that cops are now in a live fire combat zone rather than a community.
    It may be due to the fact that many police forces will hire war veterans over non-military applicants. I don't know if that's still the case, but it was for a while, 5-10 years ago. While our vets need good jobs once they come home, it might not be the best idea to put them into a role that may cause them to feel the perceived pressure of combat.

I'm not saying that all of these shootings are by police officers with combat experience, only that it became a practice for hiring a while ago. Perhaps this could be indicative of the 100,000 police office grant bill that President Clinton was able to get passed back in '94. We may have exceeded the threshold of quality officers in the streets as a result of that, one of those things that may be a net benefit, but now we're focusing on the downside of it as crime rates have continued to drop since then.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It may be due to the fact that many police forces will hire war veterans over non-military applicants. I don't know if that's still the case, but it was for a while, 5-10 years ago. While our vets need good jobs once they come home, it might not be the best idea to put them into a role that may cause them to feel the perceived pressure of combat.

I'm not saying that all of these shootings are by police officers with combat experience, only that it became a practice for hiring a while ago. Perhaps this could be indicative of the 100,000 police office grant bill that President Clinton was able to get passed back in '94. We may have exceeded the threshold of quality officers in the streets as a result of that, one of those things that may be a net benefit, but now we're focusing on the downside of it as crime rates have continued to drop since then.
    This is a valid point, and I also submit the advancement of weapons/aggressiveness of criminals. No such thing as a normal traffic stop anymore. Sad state of affairs all around.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

No such thing as a normal traffic stop anymore.
    This is up there with "the world is more dangerous today than ever" in things that are oft repeated but, in fact, not true.

The fact remains that the vast, vast majority of cops will never need to draw their firearm on duty over their entire careers, let alone fire it.

"According to FBI Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted reports, 62 officers were killed during traffic stops from 2003 to 2012. That does not include 34 others who died during and after vehicle pursuits. In 2012, 4,450 officers were wounded or assaulted in various manners during traffic stops." http://www.forcescience.org/nosuchthing.html

That may sound like a lot, but keep in mind there are roughly 24,000,000 traffic stops each year. So wounded or assaulted officers happen about .02% of the time, and a killing happens about .00004% of the time.

So yes, a certain number of traffic stops result in the death of the cop. But on the scale from "in person voter fraud" to "paying taxes" in terms of likelihood, it's only marginally higher than in person voter fraud. There are definitely routine traffic stops.
    Last edited by unofan; 09-04-2016 at 11:31 PM.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

This is a valid point, and I also submit the advancement of weapons/aggressiveness of criminals. No such thing as a normal traffic stop anymore. Sad state of affairs all around.
    Brent the comment "no such thing as a normal traffic stop anymore" is not backed up by the facts if what you mean (and I suspect you mean this exactly but my apologies if I am mistaken) is that officers are more likely now to be assaulted or killed intentionally during a traffic stop. Fewer and fewer police officers are killed during traffic stops now than in the past. This is a fact. And those that do are usually the victims of traffic accidents. I've posted in earlier incarnations of this thread links to articles/statistics that show that for that at least the last 4 decades, the decade by decade trend (and in most instances the year by year trend) is that fewer police officers are being killed or assaulted in the line of duty. Most officers who die during duty time are killed as the result of traffic accidents, and most of those are not accidents while pursuing suspected criminals. And for those that are killed in pursuit, the risk/reward statistics often do not back up most pursuit incidents. This belief about the total danger and by where that danger lays by far too many people prevents real change because we can't -- or won't -- see what's really happening.

Law enforcement personnel have always been taught to be extra wary during traffic stops, even before we militarized our law enforcement to a point beyond ridiculousness. I remember a friend who was first a city cop in Indiana and later an Indiana State Police officer showing me a list he got in the academy. It said something or other like "The ten mistakes every dead cop made during a traffic stop." This was more than 3 decades ago, when it WAS more dangerous. As the job has gotten safer the cops have responded with more force, more numbers, more and bigger guns, and a whole lot less patience and skill. One of my best friends was a public safety officer in Michigan and his entire goal was "deescalate deescalate deescalate" in every domestic dispute, every traffic stop, every encounter. This is NOT a skill that is emphasized at all in most law enforcement training in the last 15 years, nor is it the first arrow out of the quiver in most cases. Any resistance is met with overwhelming force, even if that resistance is often only verbalized. This is what they are taught. No wonder things are the way they are.

I've heard other people, including a current co-worker who was a corrections officer in two states for almost 20 years as well as a Marine Corps veteran, who said perhaps the hiring of too many military vets is an issue. I don't know. Law enforcement has always attracted a fair number of veterans and I doubt that alone is the issue. The issue is hiring people with the right emotional makeup, and training them properly. Neither of which is happening.

Thread Information