Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1001

Thread: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

  1. #61
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    12,240

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    From people I know in Milwaukee this shooting, while causing similar unrest as other well-known recent police killings of black men, is different in a number of important ways. One, the cop who shot him is also black, so the racial aspects have to be looked at very carefully. Racism is probably not a factor as we might normally think. Two, the dead suspect clearly was armed with a loaded semi-auto handgun that was stolen (along with hundreds of rounds of ammo). Three, he was charged within the last year in a shooting and separately charged with trying to intimidate a witness in that shooting. I believe that the cops involved in this (at least some of them) knew who this guy was and knew of his gun crimes.

    Anybody who has read my blather in this or similar threads knows I don't hold law enforcement in the highest regard in 2016, but this shooting looks to me (albeit with the limited knowledge I and all of you have) like it was probably unavoidable given the circumstances and due almost entirely to the behavior of the victim. While still tragic, it looks like this one is not criminal.
    Correction: The criminal behavior was not wearing the badge. (The guy had a stolen gun.)
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    From people I know in Milwaukee this shooting, while causing similar unrest as other well-known recent police killings of black men, is different in a number of important ways. One, the cop who shot him is also black, so the racial aspects have to be looked at very carefully. Racism is probably not a factor as we might normally think. Two, the dead suspect clearly was armed with a loaded semi-auto handgun that was stolen (along with hundreds of rounds of ammo). Three, he was charged within the last year in a shooting and separately charged with trying to intimidate a witness in that shooting. I believe that the cops involved in this (at least some of them) knew who this guy was and knew of his gun crimes.

    Anybody who has read my blather in this or similar threads knows I don't hold law enforcement in the highest regard in 2016, but this shooting looks to me (albeit with the limited knowledge I and all of you have) like it was probably unavoidable given the circumstances and due almost entirely to the behavior of the victim. While still tragic, it looks like this one is not criminal.
    Based on what we know, it does appear that this is a situation where lethal force seems (at the very least) possibly warranted, and I agree with almost everything in your post.

    But, I do have to raise issue with the bolded part. Time and again it has been empirically shown that the race (and I use that word recognizing the biological inaccuracy of it) of law enforcement officers does not affect the way in which black Americans are subjected to different treatment by law enforcement officers, or similarly by prosecutors or officers of the court. This is what is meant by institutional racism.
    It is a faulty way of thinking to look at the instance in Falcon Heights, MN or Baltimore or any of the countless other examples we have and simply say "well that cop hated black people" (or to try to argue against that point in an attempt to vindicate the officer). That's a misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of the core issue.

    EDIT: not that I am saying you misunderstand the issue, as you do seem to allude to the idea by saying this is not a case of race "as we might normally think." I just think this is an important point to emphasize.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 08-15-2016 at 01:47 PM.

  3. #63
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    EDIT: not that I am saying you misunderstand the issue, as you do seem to allude to the idea by saying this is not a case of race "as we might normally think." I just think this is an important point to emphasize.
    You are correct on both points in your edit. I did mean allude to what you've noted, and it is definitely an important point to emphasize.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    From people I know in Milwaukee this shooting, while causing similar unrest as other well-known recent police killings of black men, is different in a number of important ways. One, the cop who shot him is also black, so the racial aspects have to be looked at very carefully. Racism is probably not a factor as we might normally think. Two, the dead suspect clearly was armed with a loaded semi-auto handgun that was stolen (along with hundreds of rounds of ammo). Three, he was charged within the last year in a shooting and separately charged with trying to intimidate a witness in that shooting. I believe that the cops involved in this (at least some of them) knew who this guy was and knew of his gun crimes.

    Anybody who has read my blather in this or similar threads knows I don't hold law enforcement in the highest regard in 2016, but this shooting looks to me (albeit with the limited knowledge I and all of you have) like it was probably unavoidable given the circumstances and due almost entirely to the behavior of the victim. While still tragic, it looks like this one is not criminal.
    I can't say I disagree with any of this but the reason for rioting goes well beyond this particular shooting.

  5. #65
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I can't say I disagree with any of this but the reason for rioting goes well beyond this particular shooting.
    Of course it does. If not, there would be riots nightly in this country. Police shootings are often the flashpoint occurrence in a tinderbox that's waiting to explode.

  6. #66
    southpaw
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Where is this in the Black Lives Matters mission statement?

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    995

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Where is this in the Black Lives Matters mission statement?
    Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Guy is more coherent than GWB
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 08-16-2016 at 07:26 PM.

  9. #69
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,755

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!
    To be fair, rounding up a group of people and stealing all the money they earned has undeniably worked out very well for white people.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  10. #70
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    27,397

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    So the sister said to stop burning stuff down in the neighborhood and to take it to the suburbs.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  11. #71
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    So the sister said to stop burning stuff down in the neighborhood and to take it to the suburbs.
    I saw that video clip the other day, too. It's remarkable how the news orgs spun her statement as a blanket call for peace.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    995

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    To be fair, rounding up a group of people and stealing all the money they earned has undeniably worked out very well for white people.
    You're on quite the roll lately. Although all your posts do is lead me to believe that in high school you were unanimously voted "Talks the most, says the least" in your graduating class. You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.

  13. #73
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,755

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
    Your only contribution was a shockingly tone-deaf(at best) flip comment that I assume was intended to be mocked. I was only doing you a favor by doing so.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,790
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!
    A move straight out of Jessie Jackson Sr. and Al Sharpton's playbook!

    I had no idea the Rainbow Coalition was driving the BLM movement!

  15. #75
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,033
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    You're on quite the roll lately. Although all your posts do is lead me to believe that in high school you were unanimously voted "Talks the most, says the least" in your graduating class. You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
    IIRC, he's a Mankato grad who cheers for Meeeechigan and writes a blog - what do you expect?

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    I like how he doesn't respond to the actual comment and still has a high school mentality

  17. #77
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,719

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    You're on quite the roll lately. Although all your posts do is lead me to believe that in high school you were unanimously voted "Talks the most, says the least" in your graduating class. You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
    Actually, that's probably Ralph B, or me. But for % of posts that actually say something, Maize is probably a low man on the totem pole.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,990

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Actually, that's probably Ralph B, or me. But for % of posts that actually say something, Maize is probably a low man on the totem pole.....
    Did you know that 1 out of every 7 posts on USCHO is by you or Ralph? Considering that the two of you constitute 0.00008793914 of the membership here, I'm not even sure what that says.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  19. #79
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Did you know that 1 out of every 7 posts on USCHO is by you or Ralph? Considering that the two of you constitute 0.00008793914 of the membership here, I'm not even sure what that says.
    That's misleading because the board went through a major data purge of threads with an initial post prior to a specified date. Users' posting counts were not impacted by that purge, only the total forum post count displayed in the forum's stats page.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  20. #80
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,078

    Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
    He's not even close. That's my record and it will NEVER be broken.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •