X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    North Charleston is a municipality, jury pools are generally drawn from counties. I'm not sure which county this trial is in but Charleston itself is pretty white. I'm sure it's not near 10-1 but I wouldn't be surprised if those counties are 70% Caucasian.
    Maybe, but the county isn't representative of the city in that case and therefore isn't a jury of peers.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      It's mainly toothless. Good principle, almost impossible to enforce.
      what about the thought of getting rid of peremptory challenges?
      Is that better than what we have now?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        what about the thought of getting rid of peremptory challenges?
        Is that better than what we have now?
        Only if judges start striking more for cause. Which is doubtful.

Honestly, the biggest thing that needs to happen is that more minorities need to register to vote and get driver's licenses, since those are the pools that most juries are drawn from.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Maybe, but the county isn't representative of the city in that case and therefore isn't a jury of peers.
          The Constitution doesn't grant a right to a "jury of peers" to the defendant but rather states an "impartial jury".

Further the trial is to be held within the state, and it's been held that generally the pool of potential jurors should be made up from a cross section of the population of the surrounding area. Trials are of course moved around states from time to time because of publicity.

As a similar example, Near North Milwaukee neighborhoods are 90% black, but blacks make up only about 25% of Milwaukee County. Would it be your position that crimes committed in Near North Milwaukee neighborhoods should only be tried in front of 90% black juries in Milwaukee circuit courts?
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Veterans Head to Standing Rock to Protect the Protestors from the local authorities.

This is awesome...the North Dakota County Sheriff's department has acted deplorably in this situation (especially when compared to what happened with The Dildo Revolution ) and it is awesome that Vets are using their cache to help protect the protesters.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What is the Standing Rock's standing in the protest? As I understand it, the pipeline passes near, but not on, their reservation.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                What is the Standing Rock's standing in the protest? As I understand it, the pipeline passes near, but not on, their reservation.
                They're not a monolithic bloc. From what I've seen thus far, they have differing views from person to person, though most don't really care about it one way or the other.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The pipeline goes under the lake and near some burial sites. If there is a spill (and we all know the record of oil companies just ask The Gulf) it could contaminate the water of millions. Plus they are claiming rights under a treaty from 1851.

What claim did the Dildo Revolutionaries have over the land they occupied? Why werent they sprayed with water cannons and shot with rubber bullets and such? They had weapons and were calling for open rebellion, the Sioux are not.

Once again the problem is optics...and it will look 10 times worse if any Vets get hurt protecting the Standing Rock protesters. If North Dakota calls in the National Guard this could get real bad. I am sure though plenty around here will blame the protesters for not "doing it peacefully" when that is what they have done for the majority of this despite the crap the Sheriffs have pulled.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Army corps of engineers just stopped construction. How can they do that after they allowed it to begin?

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/nation/arm...oute/362537414
                    Last edited by walrus; 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      The pipeline goes under the lake and near some burial sites. If there is a spill (and we all know the record of oil companies just ask The Gulf) it could contaminate the water of millions. Plus they are claiming rights under a treaty from 1851.

What claim did the Dildo Revolutionaries have over the land they occupied? Why werent they sprayed with water cannons and shot with rubber bullets and such? They had weapons and were calling for open rebellion, the Sioux are not.

Once again the problem is optics...and it will look 10 times worse if any Vets get hurt protecting the Standing Rock protesters. If North Dakota calls in the National Guard this could get real bad. I am sure though plenty around here will blame the protesters for not "doing it peacefully" when that is what they have done for the majority of this despite the crap the Sheriffs have pulled.
                      The data is a few years old, ending in 2009, but pipelines look to have pretty good numbers though not perfect. The link also includes a map of all the existing pipelines in the US.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        They're not a monolithic bloc. From what I've seen thus far, they have differing views from person to person, though most don't really care about it one way or the other.
                        From what source to you conclude that most don't care one way or another? Not saying that's not true--just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          From what source to you conclude that most don't care one way or another? Not saying that's not true--just wondering.
                          I've not seen statistical breakdowns, only when you look at the numbers of the protesters, their general makeup, and then you look at the tribal population, a very small portion of them look to be from the local tribe. Add to that, a couple people I know from out that way have made those very assertions. The protesters are not from ND.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            As a similar example, Near North Milwaukee neighborhoods are 90% black, but blacks make up only about 25% of Milwaukee County. Would it be your position that crimes committed in Near North Milwaukee neighborhoods should only be tried in front of 90% black juries in Milwaukee circuit courts?
                            I'm from near there so I know how Milwaukee is extremely segregated. I can't say I agree with the idea that a police officer who gets charged for a crime in a neighborhood that's 99% black should get an 11-1 white jury, that's bull****. Not to mention it's more like 40% black in the city proper and I never said anything about 90%..
                            Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-04-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              I'm from near there so I know how Milwaukee is extremely segregated. I can't say I agree with the idea that a police officer who gets charged for a crime in a neighborhood that's 99% black should get an 11-1 white jury, that's bull****. Not to mention it's more like 40% black in the city proper and I never said anything about 90%..
                              How are the jury lists compiled?

Voter registrations?
                              Drivers License registrations?
                              Property records?

If you don't vote, don't have a driver's license, and rent, there's a good chance you won't be picked for a jury pool.

Guess where you'll find people who meet that criteria?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Owning property isn't on many states' criteria list anymore. If it were, I wouldn't have been called in for jury duty twice before I ever purchased my house.

Comment

Working...
                                X