X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Except it doesnt say "AND" it says "A". You have to misread it to get that context because the two statements dont parallel. That explanation really doesnt hold much water and will not work in defense of the school.
    "A smile tomorrow" COULD mean both ways. Again, I admittedly misread it. It COULD mean "(I will have) a smile tomorrow." It COULD mean, "I'm going to shoot black people (with) a smile tomorrow." And the latter could even be misinterpreted (I'm going to shoot black people while I'm smiling). In this day and age, unfortunately, you cannot allow for any misunderstanding whatsoever.

Whatever the intent was, however different people interpreted it, he didn't make the best choice in phrasing. And MTU and the police completely botched the case.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I dont think he misphrased it at all. Just because you (and they) inferred something that wasnt there doesnt put him at fault. (and certanly doesnt rise to the level of domestic terrorism) It is pretty obvious what he was saying and only a misread of it changes the context in any way. That isnt on him that is on you and them.

There is a reason why the original yik yak was ignored when Grainger sent it to the school, because the intent was obvious. Grainger took out the the last part because it showed there was no malicious intent behind any of it.

Sorry but this guy did and said nothing wrong. (if the details we read in the complaint are true mind you)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I dont think he misphrased it at all. Just because you (and they) inferred something that wasnt there doesnt put him at fault. (and certanly doesnt rise to the level of domestic terrorism) It is pretty obvious what he was saying and only a misread of it changes the context in any way. That isnt on him that is on you and them.

There is a reason why the original yik yak was ignored when Grainger sent it to the school, because the intent was obvious. Grainger took out the the last part because it showed there was no malicious intent behind any of it.

Sorry but this guy did and said nothing wrong. (if the details we read in the complaint are true mind you)
        The stressed part of your post is exactly my point. This is why you (again, unfortunately) have to clarify everything to a T in this day and age, with all the social media, texting, etc. Sometimes it's difficult to determine tone, inflection, etc.

I really don't want to condemn the kid, I really don't. On reading the whole story (as you said, if it's all true), I feel bad I misinterpreted it. However, one must take caution, as sad as it is.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I just disagree...that sounds too much like victim blaming to me. I would agree with you if he had said what you thought he said (or made it seem like he did which he definitely didnt) because then it can be argued he was saying things the wrong way and it is more open to interpretation. In this case what he said was very straightforward and on point so any misinterpretation is the fault of the reader.

I remember when a rumor circulated back in the day that the band 311 was racist because the 11th letter in the alphabet is K. (3Ks = KKK) Totally stupid obviously false. According to what you are saying they should change their name cause they should have known that could be an interpretation of their name even though they know that isnt what it is about.

Or what about Ozzy Osbourne. According to that line of thinking the people who sued him and attacked him over Suicide Solution are correct because even though the song is not advocating suicide (it is about Bonn Scott drinking himself to death) and he has explained it publicly many times, he should have known kids would listen to the song, misinterpret it and kill themselves.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think at best the guy is guilty of poor taste, and maybe poor judgment. If he posts something like, "Gonna shoot all the black people.........a smile tomorrow." It's pretty clear what his intent was. He wants people to react something like, "what, he's going to shoot black people?!?!, oh, haha, I get it."

I mean, that's the whole point of the way he typed it, using the periods, isn't it?

Assuming I've read his intent correctly, personally I don't think it's a particularly good idea to make a joke like that, but that's just me. You are going to draw a reaction from someone.

But in the end, he is guilty of extremely poor taste. The person who doctored the photo, on the other hand, should be in for some problems.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I think at best the guy is guilty of poor taste, and maybe poor judgment. If he posts something like, "Gonna shoot all the black people.........a smile tomorrow." It's pretty clear what his intent was. He wants people to react something like, "what, he's going to shoot black people?!?!, oh, haha, I get it."

I mean, that's the whole point of the way he typed it, using the periods, isn't it?

Assuming I've read his intent correctly, personally I don't think it's a particularly good idea to make a joke like that, but that's just me. You are going to draw a reaction from someone.

But in the end, he is guilty of extremely poor taste. The person who doctored the photo, on the other hand, should be in for some problems.
              THIS. ALL THIS.

It's not victim blaming. It was a joke that went bad, and maybe he should re-think how he phrases things in the future.

Not difficult to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                THIS. ALL THIS.

It's not victim blaming. It was a joke that went bad, and maybe he should re-think how he phrases things in the future.

Not difficult to understand.
                And that's the thing.

30 years ago a stunt like this got you a sit-down with the Dean, who explained just what you did, turned it into a learning experience, you made a public apology, and you got probation or service with a black student org or something. (I actually thought the actual PROBATION part of the punishment was pretty appropriate.) Now? Witch hunt, expulsion, face all over the news, your name is mud, good luck doing anything with the rest of your life.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

If that is the case, then all of us should be at risk for the same thing. All of us, yes even you, have posted stuff way worse and in poorer taste than that on open boards.

Sorry I dont even think it was in poor taste.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    And that's the thing.30 years ago a stunt like this got you a sit-down with the Dean, who explained just what you did, turned it into a learning experience, you made a public apology, and you got probation or service with a black student org or something. (I actually thought the actual PROBATION part of the punishment was pretty appropriate.) Now? Witch hunt, expulsion, face all over the news, your name is mud, good luck doing anything with the rest of your life.
                    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...hool/89996710/

Shoot them a smile? I don't think you can assume intent and action based on an emoji. Yes in todays age every threat as benign as it is needs to be investigated because if you are wrong JUST ONCE the consequence can be horrendous. Now is he vilified as some terrorist and never enter higher learning again? Hardly the case. Did they not investigate it fully and cover their ***, yeah maybe, for sure could have, SHOULD have, been handled differently.

Comment

Except they didnt investigate when it had the emoji...they only investigated after it was doctored. Either they flat out missed it the first time Grainger sent it or they didnt see it as a potential threat.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If that is the case, then all of us should be at risk for the same thing. All of us, yes even you, have posted stuff way worse and in poorer taste than that on open boards.

Sorry I dont even think it was in poor taste.
                        Sure, we've all posted politically insensitive or tasteless comments. I'm not sure I'd agree that I've posted something worse than that. But there are certain lines I don't think you should cross, and jokes about shooting black people probably fall across that line.

Let me ask you. What if there was a food critic named Joshua Bernstein who opened up his restaurant review with this comment, "Talk about giving gas to a Jew, I tried the new Burrito Grande at......"

I think he'd catch a ton of criticism for something as tasteless as that, and he should. Same with this guy.

That said, I agree he's not some sort of terrorist or a threat to society. He's basically someone who wrote something in extremely poor taste and should be exposed for it, nothing else.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Now is he vilified as some terrorist and never enter higher learning again? Hardly the case. Did they not investigate it fully and cover their ***, yeah maybe, for sure could have, SHOULD have, been handled differently.
                          You don't get it. He's been expelled from the school - that's basically an automatic black mark on transferring to any engineering school of comparable repute where he could finish his degree. According to Tech's story, he threatened his fellow students - there's no way any other school of consequence is going to dispute that in this day and age, unless he is exonerated in court. He won't get any kind of admissions/transfer appeal from anyone otherwise.

And fck no, they didn't investigate properly. That much is obvious from the mismatched police reports, and inconsistent media interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            You don't get it. He's been expelled from the school - that's basically an automatic black mark on transferring to any engineering school of comparable repute where he could finish his degree. According to Tech's story, he threatened his fellow students - there's no way any other school of consequence is going to dispute that in this day and age, unless he is exonerated in court. He won't get any kind of admissions/transfer appeal from anyone otherwise.

And fck no, they didn't investigate properly. That much is obvious from the mismatched police reports, and inconsistent media interviews.
                            I get it but if no school accepts him then you have to admit what he did was wrong in todays climate. Emoji or not, if Public Safety sees that comment I think anyone would pick him up. Its some of the after things that may be questionable.

Comment

You want a compromise here? Fine. Let's say he earned one semester off to think about the consequences of what he posted, and then they let him return in good standing, with or without some sort of mark on his permanent record. He can explain the rest to potential employers.

18 months was ridiculous given the circumstances - that's all but telling him to transfer (which again, no school of repute would let a suspended student do, let alone an expelled one). In my mind, and again assuming this is proven to be true in court, the ultimate outrage is that the Dean obviously resented his challenge of the suspension (which would've kept this in the news, giving the school more negative press), and decided then and there to expel him in a deliberate, unilateral act of retaliation, in hopes he would go away and they could finally sweep this mess under the rug. It remains to be seen if that was within her authority, after a panel's decision that allowed him to file the appeal had already been rendered.

Comment

Except they didnt investigate when it had the emoji...they only investigated after it was doctored. Either they flat out missed it the first time Grainger sent it or they didnt see it as a potential threat.
                                What SHOULD have happened is bring him in, clear up the misunderstanding, no harm no foul. Unfortunately all authorities completely screwed the pooch on this, and now the kid's paying for it. It's terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X