This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

For a few dollars more, we'll continue our previous discussion.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Sub
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      For a few dollars more, we'll continue our previous discussion.
      Another fistful of hollers that the cops are just misunderstood heroes.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Another fistful of hollers that the cops are just misunderstood heroes.
        Make My Day
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Whoever said the federal laws, like the speed limit or whatever, that is where I was going with DUIs/over-serving.

bbdl: yes, we have laws in place. I'd like to see tougher laws for DUIs (and over-serving if found guilty), and make them uniform in all 50 states. I think until recently, a first offense in WI was quite literally a slap on the wrist, the cop telling the driver to not do that again, and that was it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Make My Day
            If you play Misty for me.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Whoever said the federal laws, like the speed limit or whatever, that is where I was going with DUIs/over-serving.

bbdl: yes, we have laws in place. I'd like to see tougher laws for DUIs (and over-serving if found guilty), and make them uniform in all 50 states. I think until recently, a first offense in WI was quite literally a slap on the wrist, the cop telling the driver to not do that again, and that was it.
              Cops don't make those decisions, legislatures do. DAs charge (or not).

As for Wisconsin offenders, most of those were not drinkers; they were painters and woodworkers.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Cops don't make those decisions, legislatures do. DAs charge (or not).

As for Wisconsin offenders, most of those were not drinkers; they were painters and woodworkers.
                I know. Please read what I wrote. The WI cop in that situation had little choice in the matter. If there were a national standard, the cop could have done more.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I know. Please read what I wrote. The WI cop in that situation had little choice in the matter. If there were a national standard, the cop could have done more.
                  Not true where I live. Cops arrest here and have for many years. The DAs prosecute too. To some extent, that makes your point, Brent: they need sentencing guidelines that make enforcement easier.

It's true that Wisconsin has a ridiculous cultural history of too much drinking. Stiff sentencing won't cure it overnight, but it is certainly necessary. In the ten years I had kids in high school, I saw kids that age being very serious about not drinking and driving. They are afraid of the penalties, but they also are pretty tuned in to the dangers. Just like they are far more careful about what they eat.
                  Last edited by burd; 07-27-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    If you play Misty for me.
                    If you let me Paint Your Wagon?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If you let me Paint Your Wagon?
                      Get e another beer Dragon Lady!
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Get e another beer Dragon Lady!
                        The Dragon Lady still works at Suomi's in Houghton. Still hasn't aged since at least 2007 when I first went there.

No, I cannot remember why she is called that.

Comment

The Gauntlet continues.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I'm shocked that no one has gone with
                            Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.
                            It seems so appropriate for this thread
                            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                            Groucho Marx
                            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                            Ron White
                            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                            Milo Bloom

Comment

Body cam video was released today of a police shooting this past March, in which no charges were filed: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ting/87625554/
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X