Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The fans especially. They don't cheer unless the team scores. Spoiled, I guess.
    Hey, I'm trying. It's hard to do much sitting at one end of the ice. But I even had to start cheers to get the band going tonight during the action, and they have the youth that I'm starting to lose.

I did get several odd looks when I "asked" Rick (the PA announcer) how much time was left at the end of the 2nd period, because I wasn't in my normal seating area. Rather, I was near center ice at that point, because I was on my way to the booster club table to get it set up before the intermission.
    Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-14-2016, 10:42 PM.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Speaking of the band, it was clear that they were breaking in some new members tonight. They got better as the game went along, but it was definitely a learning experience for the newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        Hey, the Gophers won the game.
        Sometimes as fans we forget that this is the overriding objective and we fail to give credit when credit is due. I was really impressed by both teams who really battled throughout and gave 100%, in what was a very entertaining game for the near 2,000 in attendance. UMD looks to be much improved over the past few years, as their series win over BC - and their smart play in this game - duly proved. But in the end the Gophers found a way to get the win, and these kind of hotly contested WCHA games that pushes the team to the limit should lead to further improvement.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Sometimes as fans we forget that this is the overriding objective and we fail to give credit when credit is due. I was really impressed by both teams who really battled throughout and gave 100%, in what was a very entertaining game for the near 2,000 in attendance. UMD looks to be much improved over the past few years, as their series win over BC - and their smart play in this game - duly proved. But in the end the Gophers found a way to get the win, and these kind of hotly contested WCHA games that pushes the team to the limit should lead to further improvement.
          As stressful as it was that was a GREAT game to watch. I am actually happy that UMD appears to again be a real challenge (particularly without the Wicked Witch of the West behind the bench). It is too early to worry about things fans think need to be fixed, I'll leave that to the guy making the big bucks to figure out. I'll just be happy that the women fought back against a very good team & found a way to win.

Comment

Times are now announced for both Wisconsin games in Madison.

12/03/16....Saturday..3:30 p.m...CT

12/04/16....Sunday....2:00 p.m...CT

Comment

I thought Minnesota played really, really well today. One bad breakdown produced a UMD goal, but overall, there was a lot to like. The power play looked so much better this weekend than it has the last few weeks, and it was nice to see Potomak get the game winner, because I thought she was tremendous. More interesting was that, contrary to something Brad Frost said before the game, he seemed to have no problem having the third line out against Brykaliuk/Stalder/McGovern.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                I thought Minnesota played really, really well today. One bad breakdown produced a UMD goal, but overall, there was a lot to like. The power play looked so much better this weekend than it has the last few weeks, and it was nice to see Potomak get the game winner, because I thought she was tremendous. More interesting was that, contrary to something Brad Frost said before the game, he seemed to have no problem having the third line out against Brykaliuk/Stalder/McGovern.
                Kudos also go to Kelly Pannek, who did so many things right today at both ends of the ice...the way she set up Potomak for the game winner was ridiculously good.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Kudos also go to Kelly Pannek, who did so many things right today at both ends of the ice...the way she set up Potomak for the game winner was ridiculously good.
                  Pannek recorded career points #100 (on her game-tying goal) and #101 (assisting on Potomak's game-winner).

Comment

Just saw highlights on Kare 11 of today's game vs UMD.

Is this normal/standard procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Just saw highlights on Kare 11 of today's game vs UMD.

Is this normal/standard procedure?
                      Yes, pretty normal for home games. They were also on KMSP (Fox 9)

Comment

Somewhere earlier along in this thread I may have suggested that Sarah Potomak as a second year center was an improvement over her first year play as a wing.

I wish to withdraw whatever I said previously. Sarah Potomak on the wing with Pannek and Cameranesi?

Game winning goal on Friday, game winning goal in OT on Saturday. Pretty good wing play I am totally willing to concede. And kudos to both of her linemates but particularly her center, pretty good play from them as well.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          There were too many times .. were then flat-footed
                          I can't ever remember a Gopher team standing around so much as this Gopher team this weekend during the early going. The good news is when they have to play defense, like when they were down 2-1 and if the Bulldogs got another one that might have been the game, they shut the door on them. Now if they'd only play like they were down a goal all the time ....

Pannek centering Potomak & Cameranesi ... well of course, that had to be option B all along, Plug and play Pannek in place of Brandt.
                          I though Potomak looked good at center but where were her wings? Geeze, how hard can it be? if you want to stand around, a good time and place to do it would be at the opponents goal when Potomak has the puck.
                          Potomak might be quick, but I gotta believe the rest of the forwards can skate faster in a straight line than she can skate weaving thru traffic.

Comment

I gather that Potomak-Pannek-Cameranesi became the top line by the end of the weekend--what were the other lines like? We were out of town and missed this weekend's games.

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
                              I gather that Potomak-Pannek-Cameranesi became the top line by the end of the weekend--what were the other lines like? We were out of town and missed this weekend's games.
                              They had Woken and Agnew on the wings alternating two shifts Taylor Williamson at center with two shifts Nicole Schammel at center.
                              Then they had Piazza centering Kate Schipper and Caitlyn Reilly. They usually had this line going against the Brykaliuk-Stalder line, although the Pannek line also lined up against them sometimes.

Stalder was ridiculously good this weekend. Stalder and Brykaliuk are fearsome and they can clearly score at any time!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                                Stalder was ridiculously good this weekend. Stalder and Brykaliuk are fearsome and they can clearly score at any time!
                                I also thought #14 Sydney Brodt did some great things, especially for a freshman. And needless to say with 74 saves on the weekend Rooney played extremely well in goal for them also.

Comment

Working...
                                X