Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

That alumni band guy

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Speaking of the band, it was clear that they were breaking in some new members tonight. They got better as the game went along, but it was definitely a learning experience for the newcomers.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Hey, the Gophers won the game.
    Sometimes as fans we forget that this is the overriding objective and we fail to give credit when credit is due. I was really impressed by both teams who really battled throughout and gave 100%, in what was a very entertaining game for the near 2,000 in attendance. UMD looks to be much improved over the past few years, as their series win over BC - and their smart play in this game - duly proved. But in the end the Gophers found a way to get the win, and these kind of hotly contested WCHA games that pushes the team to the limit should lead to further improvement.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Sometimes as fans we forget that this is the overriding objective and we fail to give credit when credit is due. I was really impressed by both teams who really battled throughout and gave 100%, in what was a very entertaining game for the near 2,000 in attendance. UMD looks to be much improved over the past few years, as their series win over BC - and their smart play in this game - duly proved. But in the end the Gophers found a way to get the win, and these kind of hotly contested WCHA games that pushes the team to the limit should lead to further improvement.
    As stressful as it was that was a GREAT game to watch. I am actually happy that UMD appears to again be a real challenge (particularly without the Wicked Witch of the West behind the bench). It is too early to worry about things fans think need to be fixed, I'll leave that to the guy making the big bucks to figure out. I'll just be happy that the women fought back against a very good team & found a way to win.

Times are now announced for both Wisconsin games in Madison.

12/03/16....Saturday..3:30 p.m...CT

12/04/16....Sunday....2:00 p.m...CT

I thought Minnesota played really, really well today. One bad breakdown produced a UMD goal, but overall, there was a lot to like. The power play looked so much better this weekend than it has the last few weeks, and it was nice to see Potomak get the game winner, because I thought she was tremendous. More interesting was that, contrary to something Brad Frost said before the game, he seemed to have no problem having the third line out against Brykaliuk/Stalder/McGovern.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I thought Minnesota played really, really well today. One bad breakdown produced a UMD goal, but overall, there was a lot to like. The power play looked so much better this weekend than it has the last few weeks, and it was nice to see Potomak get the game winner, because I thought she was tremendous. More interesting was that, contrary to something Brad Frost said before the game, he seemed to have no problem having the third line out against Brykaliuk/Stalder/McGovern.
    Kudos also go to Kelly Pannek, who did so many things right today at both ends of the ice...the way she set up Potomak for the game winner was ridiculously good.

That alumni band guy
    Kudos also go to Kelly Pannek, who did so many things right today at both ends of the ice...the way she set up Potomak for the game winner was ridiculously good.
    Pannek recorded career points #100 (on her game-tying goal) and #101 (assisting on Potomak's game-winner).

Just saw highlights on Kare 11 of today's game vs UMD.

Is this normal/standard procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Just saw highlights on Kare 11 of today's game vs UMD.

Is this normal/standard procedure?
    Yes, pretty normal for home games. They were also on KMSP (Fox 9)

Great and powerful wizard

Somewhere earlier along in this thread I may have suggested that Sarah Potomak as a second year center was an improvement over her first year play as a wing.

I wish to withdraw whatever I said previously. Sarah Potomak on the wing with Pannek and Cameranesi?

Game winning goal on Friday, game winning goal in OT on Saturday. Pretty good wing play I am totally willing to concede. And kudos to both of her linemates but particularly her center, pretty good play from them as well.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    There were too many times .. were then flat-footed
    I can't ever remember a Gopher team standing around so much as this Gopher team this weekend during the early going. The good news is when they have to play defense, like when they were down 2-1 and if the Bulldogs got another one that might have been the game, they shut the door on them. Now if they'd only play like they were down a goal all the time ....

Pannek centering Potomak & Cameranesi ... well of course, that had to be option B all along, Plug and play Pannek in place of Brandt.
    I though Potomak looked good at center but where were her wings? Geeze, how hard can it be? if you want to stand around, a good time and place to do it would be at the opponents goal when Potomak has the puck.
    Potomak might be quick, but I gotta believe the rest of the forwards can skate faster in a straight line than she can skate weaving thru traffic.

I gather that Potomak-Pannek-Cameranesi became the top line by the end of the weekend--what were the other lines like? We were out of town and missed this weekend's games.

Quote Originally Posted by IDK View Post
    I gather that Potomak-Pannek-Cameranesi became the top line by the end of the weekend--what were the other lines like? We were out of town and missed this weekend's games.
    They had Woken and Agnew on the wings alternating two shifts Taylor Williamson at center with two shifts Nicole Schammel at center.
    Then they had Piazza centering Kate Schipper and Caitlyn Reilly. They usually had this line going against the Brykaliuk-Stalder line, although the Pannek line also lined up against them sometimes.

Stalder was ridiculously good this weekend. Stalder and Brykaliuk are fearsome and they can clearly score at any time!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Stalder was ridiculously good this weekend. Stalder and Brykaliuk are fearsome and they can clearly score at any time!
    I also thought #14 Sydney Brodt did some great things, especially for a freshman. And needless to say with 74 saves on the weekend Rooney played extremely well in goal for them also.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by IDK View Post
    take last years lines, move Pannek up to take Brandt's spot, move Piazza to C to take Pannek's, move Reilley up , insert freshmen on 3rd line

in 2012/13 it was systematic for a longer period of time, after the first two games at Colgate, for which Terry & Davis were not available, he'd keep the same lines for 4 games, then swapped a pair of Wings (Bona & Lorence) for 4 games, then swapped Terry for Kortum at C for 4 games (which may have been the plan all along except that Kortum played so well at C against Colgate and subsequent games), then flipped all the wings from one side to the other while at the same time playing Frischman/Lorence/Downey/Garzone at right wing with Terry for 2 games each (I believe because Menefee wasn't playing and thus used Lorence on the top line) each, and then swapped Davis & Terry while keeping the wings the same (ultimately Terry centering Bona & Kortum and Davis centering Lorence & Brausen). The interesting thing was all wings ended up playing the opposite side they started and with a different center. It's almost like he knew what he wanted in the end but wanted to try out other combinations to see if there was something better. I guess when you have a first line that scores like that, you have more time to experiment.

I also thought #14 Sydney Brodt did some great things, especially for a freshman. And needless to say with 74 saves on the weekend Rooney played extremely well in goal for them also.
    Gophers had their hands full trying to stop her
    Last edited by pokechecker; 10-17-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Democrats are making a big deal out of the Russian involvement in our elections to deflect attention away from all the Messicans and other non citizens who vote in our elections.

I remember being really impressed with Rooney when UMD played at Ridder last year--the Gophers ended up scoring a few goals, but she made some phenomenal saves.

Chicago Mission U16 forward Abbey Murphy will be a Gopher. A 2002 birth year, she will be at Ridder starting in the 2020 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceburg View Post
    Chicago Mission U16 forward Abbey Murphy will be a Gopher. A 2002 birth year, she will be at Ridder starting in the 2020 season.
    As far as I know she is the first announced commit for 2020-21.

As far as I know she is the first announced commit for 2020-21.
    3rd that I see

Makenna Webster Forward from Shattuck St Mary's U16 commit to Wisconsin listed on Hockey Tech 8/20/16

Sara Boucher Forward from Oakville Hornets Bantam AA commit to Cornell on 9/29/16

Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    3rd that I see

Makenna Webster Forward from Shattuck St Mary's U16 commit to Wisconsin listed on Hockey Tech 8/20/16

Sara Boucher Forward from Oakville Hornets Bantam AA commit to Cornell on 9/29/16
    Sorry, I meant the first 2020-21 to Minnesota.

Thread Information