Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'm not superstitious, but when I typed that I thought, "Man it would suck if the roles get reversed the next game." Sure as the sun rises and gophers go into holes, I get to eat my words. I take my medicine when it's handed out.

My son and his friends enjoyed the atmosphere Saturday. He said the rodent fans were nice and there was just some fun bantering back and forth a few times. His but is dragging.....Whitewater to Platteville, to New Ulm, to Minneapolis, to New Ulm, to Platteville, to Whitewater. Not to mentioning doing things college kids to in between the travel and the game.
    Thats a good attitude because the wheel is always turning. a few years back M couldn't steal a game from W then it was the other way around.

New Ulm is not exactly a quick jaunt from Mpls, that is a heck of a road trip

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Earle, with an 'e' on the end.
      If the "e" is silent, I'll just throw that away. By that point, you'd know who I mean. I'm already spending extra strokes for the "Mr."

(And I was a computer engineer for 25 years; "stickler" isn't an insult, it's a compliment.)
      I did that for almost that long as well -- software. There were always people who were brilliant in their area, but we never trusted to talk to the customers.

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      I thought this was the chippiest games I have seen these two play, part of that I am sure is the lax officiating.
      I didn't see the play being as chippy or the officiating as bad as you did. It's more just competitive. A lot of these kids play in the US vs Canada games, and that is how many of those games are played as well.
      Last edited by ARM; 02-19-2017, 09:29 PM.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Senior night, pre-game recognition ceremony.

In full pads and uniform, on the ice, even if only for that ceremony, skating across the rink to embrace her parents: Dani Cameranesi.

My favorite moment of the day.
        Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 02-19-2017, 10:11 PM.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

In full pads and uniform, on the ice, even if only for that ceremony, skating across the rink to embrace her parents: Dani Cameranesi.

Mine too. Not the same thing, but I did have a momentary flashback to Amanda Kessel when she returned to the ice last year.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

A very nice moment for sure, hockey in perspective. I have to believe that if Dani played than it's not 0-0

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I see the rivalry is alive and well, both on and off the ice! <>

I agree with the others who said the Badgers' depth really started to show in most of the last two periods today. Gophers had a very difficult time clearing the zone for long stretches. And after the first period they also had difficulty maintaining control and keeping the puck in the offensive zone most of the time. On the plus side the Gophers played good defense in their own zone, and for the most part did an excellent job of keeping the puck on the perimeter and not giving Wisconsin many uncontested opportunities from in close.

Also as stated Peters looked VERY solid in goal. If she's ever played better over a weekend against a quality foe, even going back to last year, I don't recall when and against whom. To me her fundamentals look really good, and she's certainly done her part to give her team every chance to win.

Lastly, I thought it was very nice for the coaches to go with all seniors in the shootout, especially Paige Haley who I don't believe saw any other action today. If Stecklein hadn't scored on the Gophers' third attempt I bet we would have seen Schipper and Wolfe next in line.
              The most pleasantly surprising thing of the weekend, to me, was Peters. She did what I doubted she could do and that's gain confidence. As we talked about before and you mention here, fundamentally very good but just looked more relaxed and instinctive in her movements. The Gopher's lineup without Cameranesi and Woken really got pushed to the limit by Wisconsin's depth.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                A very nice moment for sure, hockey in perspective. I have to believe that if Dani played than it's not 0-0
                Very possibly, but one thing I am 99% certain of is that if Dani had played all year they would have three of the top five scorers in the NCAA as they did in 04/05 with Darwitz, Wendell and Stephens (still the greatest line in the history of women's hockey IMHO or if TTT is reading this IMAO.)
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-20-2017, 12:27 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Great weekend of Hockey.

I completely agree with the praise for Peters. She was fantastic this weekend. Even in her shutout in Madison, I didn't think she looked that sharp and was frequently bailed out by the defense. This weekend, it was quite the opposite, where she was up for every challenge, even when the D in front of her was gassed and couldn't get the puck out of the zone. If she can keep that up, the Gophers will be very dangerous in March.

I was also very surprised to see Cameranesi come out on skates for the Senior Festivities. Obviously, there is a big difference between being able to skate out for a ceremony and being able to compete, but has there ever been any official word on what her status is? The reports were she had season-ending surgery, but has it actually been confirmed that she is done?

Comment

Grant,

There a movie from 'way back when' called "Broadcast News"; newsman Albert Brooks says sarcastically to his producer Holly Hunter "It must be really great to always be the smartest person in the room". And she looks at him completely seriously and replies "Oh no. It's awful."
                    I love this movie, but it wasn't Albert Brooks' character that says this. It was the character Paul Moore played by actor Peter Hackes.

https://youtu.be/qeWduNomDqY

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                      I love this movie, but it wasn't Albert Brooks' character that says this. It was the character Paul Moore played by actor Peter Hackes.

https://youtu.be/qeWduNomDqY
                      Maybe after this past weekend there are a few Badger fans starting to feel a little like the Brooks' character broadcasting the news.

Comment

Roque is starting to make Kolstad look like a angel. Third in the WCHA in penalties? just a freshman? Yesterday she had one penalty behind the net that looked like a mix between a leg whip and a pitch fork. The other one by the players box was a mugging but Robinson took the bait. Marky Mark better calm her down during this run. Even with the great one in net there is only so much you can do shorthanded.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                          Roque is starting to make Kolstad look like a angel.
                          Ouch! At least she didn't concuss someone with an elbow to the head and knock her out of the next 4 games.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                            Roque is starting to make Kolstad look like a angel. Third in the WCHA in penalties? just a freshman? Yesterday she had one penalty behind the net that looked like a mix between a leg whip and a pitch fork. The other one by the players box was a mugging but Robinson took the bait. Marky Mark better calm her down during this run. Even with the great one in net there is only so much you can do shorthanded.
                            Since you guys are so concerned, I looked it up.

Four cross-checks, three regular checks, three slashes, one hold, one hook, one interference, three roughings, one high stick. All three roughs were coincident (Duluth, North Dakota, and yesterday), as was the high stick (North Dakota). Three games with a second penalty (North Dakota, Mankato, and yesterday).

One goal resulting (Mankato, from a cross-check)

-------------

(As for "Broadcast News", I was going on long-ago memory. Sorry for the mistake.)

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              . . . The Gopher's lineup without Cameranesi and Woken really got pushed to the limit by Wisconsin's depth.
                              THATS UNPOSSIBLE! We all know that Frost stashes players just to prevent other teams from getting the very best players and then never allows them ice time. So there couldn't be a let down of talent.
                              Last edited by ne7minder; 02-20-2017, 03:44 PM. Reason: speelin

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Ouch! At least she didn't concuss someone with an elbow to the head and knock her out of the next 4 games.
                                It looked like she was trying her hardest, with the elbow she threw that lead to scrum and the matching minors with Robinson.

Comment

Working...
                                X