Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1001

Thread: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

  1. #981
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    83

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Congratulations to the 9 Minnesota commits who were selected to the 2017 USA Development Camp. Going through the names it appears that all Gopher recruits who were eligible (2000-02 birth years) were selected:
    Not to pick, but the Nicholson girl is a 2002 birth year.

  2. #982
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    338
    This is a bit of a surprise!


    http://www.theicegarden.com/2017/5/15/15643842/toronto-furies-all-star-forward-kelly-terry-announces-retirement-cwhl-minnesota-golden-gophers

  3. #983
    Making America Great Again
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada
    Posts
    1,730

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Why would the Canada program select her for the centralization and then cut her loose in September? To help U Minnesota? Really? No way. They will carry her as a minimum as a hedge against injuries until December and she should be thrilled to be there. And she would be a fool to burn a year of eligibility by starting mid-season with Minnesota. The event you fear (December cut) is exactly what happened to Annie Pankowski in the last Olympic cycle and she played somewhere (Whitecaps maybe?) for the Jan-Mar timeframe and it appears to have worked out for her....what with her being on the team for real this time around.
    because they have more sense than you and Team USA in 2014?
    wouldn't keeping her as a hedge against injury be using her in the worst way?
    "hey, you aren't good enough unless someone gets hurt. What you do if nobody gets hurt is your problem"
    I never suggested she, or anyone in that situation join their college team half way through the year.

    did it work out well for her?
    didn't make the 2014 team
    didn't play for the 2017 IHF team either
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

  4. #984
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,236

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    I can't stand it any longer, forgive me while I depart from hockey for a second:

    Gopher softball not being seeded for the NCAA tourney (and going to Alabama with probably Florida in the next round no less) is not a run of the mill screw up by the NCAA.
    It is a screw up and a hosing for the ages. A bracket blunder up with the biggest bracket blunders ever.

    This podcast from a couple softball guys in California spend the first 40 minutes of the 60 minute podcast taking down the NCAA committee.
    Check out a couple minutes:
    https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/i...15_24_46-07_00

  5. #985
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I can't stand it any longer, forgive me while I depart from hockey for a second:

    Gopher softball not being seeded for the NCAA tourney (and going to Alabama with probably Florida in the next round no less) is not a run of the mill screw up by the NCAA.
    It is a screw up and a hosing for the ages. A bracket blunder up with the biggest bracket blunders ever.

    This podcast from a couple softball guys in California spend the first 40 minutes of the 60 minute podcast taking down the NCAA committee.
    Check out a couple minutes:
    https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/i...15_24_46-07_00
    Has the Gopher women's softball team ever gotten this much publicity? Nope...So maybe, it ain't that big a travesty, especially if they mount that big old chip on their shoulder and just win, baby.
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

  6. #986
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    253

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.

  7. #987
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    87

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.
    Obviously, the schedule is undergoing tweeks with the demise of UND, which opened two weekends; and (obvious statement coming) trying to fill them is going to be difficult. I can't say what the schedule is yet, but they have filled one of the two schedule gaps with a non-conference opponent and have moved some conference games around perhaps to make another non-conference/exhibition series possible. So it's a work in progress which I'm sure will be ready sooner than later.
    Needless to say, this will be a very different year. No Pannek and neither of the Pottys. SEVERAL individuals will have to step up and carry this team next season, but I'm looking forward to it.

  8. #988
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Has the Gopher women's softball team ever gotten this much publicity? Nope...So maybe, it ain't that big a travesty, especially if they mount that big old chip on their shoulder and just win, baby.
    The problem is that in order to get out of just the regional they have to beat #1 FSU. They might do that though I wouldn't bet that way. If they do, than it is FSU that got the shaft. What I don't understand is how the NC$$ can claim they adhere to the RPI and then move MN from #11 to unseeded. The road would have been tough enough from the 11 spot but they had a shot at the super regional which would get more attention from prospective recruits than the Martian's decision to publicly disrespect them. Either abide by the RPI or admit the whole thing is fake & they do what they want.

  9. #989
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    The problem is that in order to get out of just the regional they have to beat #1 FSU.
    Wrong. To get out of the regional, they have to beat #16 Alabama. If they do that, to get out of the super regional, they likely would have to beat #1 Florida, not FSU.

    What I don't understand is how the NC$$ can claim they adhere to the RPI and then move MN from #11 to unseeded.
    The selection committee has never claimed that they adhere to RPI. Quite the contrary, they explicitly say that there is a list of things they look at besides RPI. Now, as I laid out in a different thread, they aren't transparent about exactly what metrics they use to measure the other things that they look at, and to the extent that it is apparent what they use, a lot of it is deeply stupid.

  10. #990
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    46

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.
    I predict Gophers 10 Korea 0. Even with 3 big Gopher guns centralized

  11. #991
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by AAA Dad View Post
    I predict Gophers 10 Korea 0. Even with 3 big Gopher guns centralized
    Probably. The upside is that the game against Team Japan four years ago brought out a couple of Japanese graduate students to the game who have become among the most dedicated GWH fans we have.

  12. #992
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    8,968

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    The Gopher Womens Hockey front page shows the Korean National team in town Sep 24 and then Merrimack in town the following weekend. I didn't find the complete schedule yet, but Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa (aka Yoon Jung Park) is on the Korean team.
    Having these imported players on the team is so disingenuous to what the Olympics is all about.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  13. #993
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Having these imported players on the team is so disingenuous to what the Olympics is all about.
    For what it's worth, Marissa Brandt has held South Korean citizenship since birth.

  14. #994
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    8,968

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    For what it's worth, Marissa Brandt has held South Korean citizenship since birth.
    Come on seriously?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  15. #995
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Come on seriously?
    Yes, seriously. The Brandts went to Korea to adopt her when she was an infant. The Korean name she uses as a part of their national team is her birth name.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 05-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.

  16. #996
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    8,968

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Yes, seriously. The Brandts went to Korea to adopt her when she was an infant. The Korean name she uses as a part of their national team is her birth name.
    Wow. I'm staying out of this thread. Have a great summer.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  17. #997
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Wow. I'm staying out of this thread. Have a great summer.
    Likewise...And for your liver's sake try to ease up on the thinner.
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

  18. #998
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Wow. I'm staying out of this thread. Have a great summer.
    Good news on one front anyway.

  19. #999
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    253

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Quote Originally Posted by play-by-play guy View Post
    Obviously, the schedule is undergoing tweeks with the demise of UND, which opened two weekends; and (obvious statement coming) trying to fill them is going to be difficult. I can't say what the schedule is yet, but they have filled one of the two schedule gaps with a non-conference opponent and have moved some conference games around perhaps to make another non-conference/exhibition series possible. So it's a work in progress which I'm sure will be ready sooner than later.
    Needless to say, this will be a very different year. No Pannek and neither of the Pottys. SEVERAL individuals will have to step up and carry this team next season, but I'm looking forward to it.
    I think Dan was trying to warn us not to jump to conclusions yet. The partial schedule that was there is now gone. So maybe GWH will not be playing Korea after all, and maybe Wisco will actually be coming to town the (traditional) last weekend of the regular season instead of early on. We may just have seen a test schedule used to verify that the load process works and which accidentally was left for us to see.

  20. #1000
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,737

    Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

    Ranking GWH No. 9 out of 10 in Gopher team sports, the StarTribune's Patrick Reusse proves he knows next to nothing about hockey.

    http://www.startribune.com/ranking-g...rst/424209563/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •