Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

BU has added Mary Parker from Harvard to this year's roster to go along with the addition of Nina Rodgers. Should add a little extra life to the series in December. Too bad it's not at Ridder.

Comment

Whitecaps first line: Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux.

Second line: Potter, Anderson, Thunstrom.

The Whitecaps had some serious offensive fire power.

What they didn't have was game level conditioning. The Whitecaps were better in the first period but as they gradually ran out of gas in the second and third the Gophers became the better of the two teams.

It was fun to see some hockey on a rainy September evening.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Yeah, the first line for the Whitecaps...fun to watch their speed and creativity.

I was impressed with the freshmen d. Both Robinson and Marshall held their own against some very high powered forwards.

Caitlin Riley was absolutely flying out there. To me, she looked like the most improved player from last year.

Dani Cameranesi's goal at the end of the second period...Whoa!
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I thought the Gopher freshman all played well. Also, Sidney Peters played very well. She appeared a lot more mobile in goal than she did at times in her first two years and she was very good at controlling the puck. 5 to 4 win over a very talented Whitecaps team. Sounds familiar.

We finally got to see Coyne play again. They had quite the first line.

Loudest cheer in the arena may have been when Hannah was introduced.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Yeah, the first line for the Whitecaps...fun to watch their speed and creativity.

I was impressed with the freshmen d. Both Robinson and Marshall held their own against some very high powered forwards.

Caitlin Riley was absolutely flying out there. To me, she looked like the most improved player from last year.

Dani Cameranesi's goal at the end of the second period...Whoa!
            Dani's goal was a highlight reel one for sure but there were no cheap goals, lots of beautiful plays I was concerned early as the defense looked confused but then it occurred to me that a) it was the first game of the season, 2) they were swapping mates and iii) they will never ever face anything approaching a Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux line again this season so there is no cause for concern. But then they started to handle those guys OK too. It was a fun night.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              Whitecaps first line: Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux.

Second line: Potter, Anderson, Thunstrom.

The Whitecaps had some serious offensive fire power.

What they didn't have was game level conditioning. The Whitecaps were better in the first period but as they gradually ran out of gas in the second and third the Gophers became the better of the two teams.

It was fun to see some hockey on a rainy September evening.
              Great fun, one of the fastest games we have seen!
              They may have run out of gas but the 5 minute stretch from MNs 5th goal to the end of the game the Whitecaps were on fire. That the Gophers weathered that without panic & limiting them to one 6-on-5 goal over the last 2 minutes was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                Dani's goal was a highlight reel one for sure but there were no cheap goals ...
                The PP goal to tie it in the third that went off traffic wasn't exactly a thing of beauty, but at least just prior to that they'd had the best puck movement that they'd had with the advantage all night. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think line combinations will be important. I hope there wasn't anything seriously wrong with #19. More so than in recent years, I expect that this team will look far different in March than it does in October.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  The PP goal to tie it in the third that went off traffic wasn't exactly a thing of beauty, but at least just prior to that they'd had the best puck movement that they'd had with the advantage all night. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think line combinations will be important. I hope there wasn't anything seriously wrong with #19. More so than in recent years, I expect that this team will look far different in March than it does in October.
                  I was thinking the same thing. More of a work-in-progress than recent teams as you say but, should be an enjoyable year to watch their growth over the course of the year.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    They had to work for it and there were some great passes made. From my seat it looked like it went in off the goalies skate or maybe leg but they worked hard to get it there, it was not cheap. We noticed #19 sat and are hoping it was just to give the frosh more ice time. It will be interesting to watch them grow this year and I wonder, given the number of skaters they have, if someone or two get a redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      They had to work for it and there were some great passes made. From my seat it looked like it went in off the goalies skate or maybe leg but they worked hard to get it there, it was not cheap. We noticed #19 sat and are hoping it was just to give the frosh more ice time. It will be interesting to watch them grow this year and I wonder, given the number of skaters they have, if someone or two get a redshirt.
                      Pannek didn't come out of the dressing room for the second period. Sierra Smith served the rest of her penalty, which carried over from the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        Sierra Smith served the rest of her penalty, which carried over from the first.
                        I didn't notice that!

Comment

Yeah, impressive play by Caitlin Reilly, I don’t recall her being as physical last year as she was Friday, she created lots of havoc for the Whitecaps, as did Cara Piazza. Although I believe Piazza would appear more often on the score sheet as a wing, what a monster at the center position! Good effort by both of those players.
                          The defensive play of the game had to have been on Coyne coming in with speed in the final minutes of the game and was thwarted by Megan Wolfe.
                          Kippin Keller as advertised by Frost: “Kippin is smooth-skating forward. She has the vision to set people up as well as the ability to score.” Yes, yes, and yes.
                          Woken: “Alex has tremendous speed and is able to generate chances for herself … She has a quick release and has a knack for finding the back of the net.”
                          I had never seen them play before, obviously Frost is familiar with them.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            BU has added Mary Parker from Harvard to this year's roster to go along with the addition of Nina Rodgers. Should add a little extra life to the series in December. Too bad it's not at Ridder.
                            Well, I'm glad the games are at Walter Brown. However, for those of you that won't be coming to Boston BU has announced that all regular season home hockey games for men and women will be streamed free in HD. So you should be able to watch the games, barring streaming issues.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The people that want to transform MN from a white male dominated fossil burning (sic) culture to ... whatever the hell it is they want this country to turn into have an event planned for this Friday to thwart your attempt to attend the GWH game Friday night.

Fear not GWH fans, there is always a way to circumvent the well intentions, but failed outcomes, of the Utopians.

Ride the choo choo train!
                              for free!
                              http://lynx.wnba.com/minnesota-lynx-and-metro-transit/
                              use the above link, semifinals game 2 link, no, you do not have to have a Lynx ticket, just download the pass and print it out and take it with you
                              good from 5pm to about 9 or 10
                              do not use the free pass for the Open streets event, it is only good until 6pm
                              but here it is if you want to use that one to frolic with the Utopians
                              http://www.openstreetsmpls.org/u_of_mn

you now have no excuse not to be there to watch GWH begin their defense of the Natty

Comment

They hung another banner at Ridder tonight. I wonder if it ever gets old. Nope, not yet

http://i.imgur.com/CysMBrl.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X