Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    Meh, I don't think they played as badly as you do. Then they owned the second period and played well enough into the third that it was didn't matter they gave up a couple PPGs.
    I agree. They didn't seem to have much energy at the start of the game and ND came out with a lot of energy. I was a little worried there for awhile at least until Taylor scored that big goal! Then I think they played one of their best periods of the year in the 2nd. The whole team seemed to be on fire. With a 5 goal lead I guess it was not too surprising that they would slow down some in the 3rd and they did. Some pretty sloppy stretches there. On the whole they played a good game though and 5 goals from the 2nd line was really nice to see.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

The game that I was at saw Robinson taking a couple of shifts at forward. Haley took several shifts at defense. Piazza centering a fourth line which meant someone had to take her spot on the second, usually Keller. Lots of Gunderson. Skarzynski taking shifts on defense.

And it is going to be really hard for me to not like FIVE goals from the second line.

The Gophers played well and deserved the victory.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        I agree. They didn't seem to have much energy at the start of the game and ND came out with a lot of energy. I was a little worried there for awhile at least until Taylor scored that big goal! Then I think they played one of their best periods of the year in the 2nd. The whole team seemed to be on fire. With a 5 goal lead I guess it was not too surprising that they would slow down some in the 3rd and they did. Some pretty sloppy stretches there. On the whole they played a good game though and 5 goals from the 2nd line was really nice to see.
        I'm not convinced MN was flat as ND came out flying and just overwhelmed the Gophers at the start. The Mrs was really concerned about it and I kept telling her all that they had to do was weather the initial attack and things would calm down. They did that very well, playing solidly under intense pressure and when Williamson scored the Sparrows dialed it back. I thought her second goal, early in the 2nd broke NDs back and the pep was gone from their step. As they did on Friday the Sparrows tried storming back in the 3rd and again it looked to me like the Gophers did not step up as they has in the 1st period.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          I'm not convinced MN was flat as ND came out flying and just overwhelmed the Gophers at the start. The Mrs was really concerned about it and I kept telling her all that they had to do was weather the initial attack and things would calm down. They did that very well, playing solidly under intense pressure and when Williamson scored the Sparrows dialed it back. I thought her second goal, early in the 2nd broke NDs back and the pep was gone from their step. As they did on Friday the Sparrows tried storming back in the 3rd and again it looked to me like the Gophers did not step up as they has in the 1st period.
          This is how I saw it as well.

For me, I felt this weekend I was watching the Minnesota Gophers that I had was accustomed to watching before the ups and downs and challenges of this season. I figure UND felt if they shut down the top line of the Gophers they would have a very good chance of winning. Best laid plans often go awry!

Comment

I thought the first period was more continually flat than others do. North Dakota was as aggressive on the forecheck as they were on Friday, and the Gophers still didn't seem to know how to respond. As I said above, I thought they were very fortunate to come out of the period with a two goal lead.

They were tremendous in the second, though some of that was UND going flat after the third goal. It was the best period they've played since the first one in Boston.

I'm not usually concerned with how they play after building a huge lead, but given the magnitude of the game and where they've been recently, I really wanted them to come out and play one of the smothering third periods they have mustered so often in recent years, and that didn't happen. I don't know if it means anything, but it was less than I was hoping for, though the lineup shuffles may have contributed.

Still, any weekend in which you sweep the Whioux is, by definition, a good weekend. A split next week against Wisconsin should leave them in good shape in the Pairwise.

Edit: Also, Lee Stecklein is starting to look like Lee Stecklein, and that's 100% good news.
            Last edited by Eeyore; 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              I don't know if it means anything, but it was less than I was hoping for, though the lineup shuffles may have contributed.
              You think? It's always been the case that in seasons where the fourth line doesn't play regularly, once they start rolling all 12 forwards for regular shifts, the team as a whole relaxes and some of the intensity disappears. We've seen it on a regular basis in recent weeks. Part of that is either the fourth line comes out as a unit and it doesn't have the speed of the other lines, or its members are parceled out and the cohesion up to that point is gone. Plus, people get in a rhythm of coming out every third shift, and now it is every fourth.

But in the big picture, I think it is more important to save a little extra life in the legs of the top of the rotation. Also, if this program really believes all of the values it preaches, then it is more important that the kids who work hard every day in practice are rewarded with some game time when the opportunity is there. Could the Gophers have played a better third period? Yes. Would they have done so had it really mattered? They did on Friday. I was happy with what I saw from everyone in the third period. Gunderson blew a tire when she tried a quick turn and lost an edge, but Pannek did roughly the same thing a few minutes earlier. Other than that, Gunderson handled the puck well, put some passes on her wings' tape, and caught passes thrown her way. If her role in the seasons to come is to be a reliable option off the bench, she looks like she has the potential to do what she is asked in spot duty at least. As for the regulars, they answered immediately when UND got within three, and at no time did it look like they were in panic mode.

I also had no problem with Saturday's first period. In just about any series matching teams from the top half of the WCHA, the team that loses the first game comes out flying to start the second. You will get outplayed at times; it's all about the response.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                Edit:[/B] Also, Lee Stecklein is starting to look like Lee Stecklein, and that's 100% good news.
                I've been wondering for awhile if Lee hasn't been thinking she has to do it all; 1. Provide more leadership as a captain, 2. create more offence than she has in the past and yet still be that 3. rock solid player on defense that she has always been. The first two are fine and needed, but being that third thing is something that no other Gopher has ever done any better and she did that this weekend.

Comment

Badgers trounce a depleted UMD squad today 8-0 and clinch the regular season title. Obviously next weekend's Gophers/Badgers series still has huge implications for NCAA seeding purposes. The Gophers will need to be at their very best in all phases of the game to get points and gain ground on (or possibly move ahead of) Duluth in the PairWise.

Also, should UMD sweep St. Cloud and pick up 6 points in their final series, which is by no means assured but fairly likely, coupled with a possible Badgers sweep over the Gophers, Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota would finish in a tie for 2nd with 66 points.

Question: If that were to happen, which one would win the tie-breaker and get the 2nd seed in the league playoffs?
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Question: If that were to happen, which one would win the tie-breaker and get the 2nd seed in the league playoffs?
                    UMD. Both teams would have 19 conference wins, so it would come down to fewest league losses. Minnesota would have 6, the Bulldogs would have 5.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      UMD. Both teams would have 19 conference wins, so it would come down to fewest league losses. Minnesota would have 6, the Bulldogs would have 5.
                      IOW, earning points by a shootout win take a back seat to earning them the old fashioned way

Comment

Apparently we are lucky we aren't playing the Badgers in a best of 7, cuz after winning the opening game we would lose in 5, and lose game 5 by infinity

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          Apparently we are lucky we aren't playing the Badgers in a best of 7, cuz after winning the opening game we would lose in 5, and lose game 5 by infinity
                          I'm Timothy A and I approve this message.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            This is how I saw it as well.

For me, I felt this weekend I was watching the Minnesota Gophers that I had was accustomed to watching before the ups and downs and challenges of this season. I figure UND felt if they shut down the top line of the Gophers they would have a very good chance of winning. Best laid plans often go awry!
                            I don't see UND being a threat down the stretch, when the going gets tough the seem to think talking trash and saying things that would make a sailer blush is more important than focusing on the task at hand of winning a game. If you stay after the game and they can get one good chop in and win the insult battle, you will find several of them skipping all the way to the bus even after getting swept.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyThumper View Post
                              I don't see UND being a threat down the stretch, when the going gets tough the seem to think talking trash and saying things that would make a sailer blush is more important than focusing on the task at hand of winning a game. If you stay after the game and they can get one good chop in and win the insult battle, you will find several of them skipping all the way to the bus even after getting swept.
                              So what you're saying is none of them are in the running for the Patty Kazmaier award this year? Maybe the Chicken Hawks should have a Sam LaShomb award given to the biggest goon of the year. Guess I still haven't quite let it go.

Comment

Great career, Anne, and best of luck in all of your future endeavors!

U.S. Olympic women's hockey player Anne Schleper retires
                                http://www.startribune.com/us-olympi...res/413895103/
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X