Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Sad news for sure. We've had some great radio announcers here, Al Shaver with the North Stars, Ray, Herb and Halsey with the Twins, but none better than Ray Christensen. I can still hear that distinctive voice of his calling Gopher football and basketball games for so many years.
    Ray was great, he will always be the voice of the Gophers to me. Though my favorite moment of all time was one year when OSU was pounding the tar out of the Gophers (probably Archie Griffin is the RB in this story) The middle of the 2nd quarter & OSU is up by 20 or 30 already. Anyway here is Rays call:
    "Griffin takes the hand off tackle . . . Hes at the 30 . . . 35, 40, 45 He crosses mid-field, he is at the 45, WHY IS HE STILL IN THIS GAME!"

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      6) Minnesota - What I want to know is... WTH has become of this team? Seriously who are they?.
      6) Minnesota - This team has the top ranked penalty kill, the top ranked power play, and the nation's leading scorer. Crazy stats for a team that can look as vulnerable as they do.

SOG margin per game is tops UW 22.68, then UM 18.86
      then drops to BC 13.32, Quinni 12.63, Clarkson 11.47

We still have six players that are negative on +/-. A few weeks ago I swear it was ten. As FiveHole says, that's "crazy Stats". Maybe they really just aren't that good, but also it really seems like there is something strange about them.

I keep hoping that Cara Piazza starts making a bigger impact (other than penalties).

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        SOG margin per game is tops UW 22.68, then UM 18.86
        then drops to BC 13.32, Quinni 12.63, Clarkson 11.47

We still have six players that are negative on +/-. A few weeks ago I swear it was ten. As FiveHole says, that's "crazy Stats". Maybe they really just aren't that good, but also it really seems like there is something strange about them.

I keep hoping that Cara Piazza starts making a bigger impact (other than penalties).
        Very interesting on the shots on goal margin which matches up to the visual puck-possession that you see on the ice and the maddening habit they have shown to squander scoring chances, especially from anyone not on the first line.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The stat I find most interesting, given the team's struggles, is the penalty kill. It's been very good, yet from a team that's prone to bad turnovers and total defensive zone breakdowns when at even strength. They seem much more focused when a player down, capable of playing great defense when they understand that that's the top priority. Some of it has been a phenomenal shorthanded forecheck, but even in the defensive zone they've been a lot less error prone.

This team can play great defense. It's just that, for whatever reason, a lot of times they don't. As I've said before, I think it was a reaction to the lack of scoring and worrying too much about it and thus not paying enough attention on defense. The hope I'm holding on to is that, as the goals have started to come from players other than Pannek and Potomak, they can regain the defensive focus. I have no idea whether that hope is realistic, but it's what needs to happen for the team to become a playoff threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            I have no idea whether that hope is realistic, but it's what needs to happen for the team to become a playoff threat.
            My analysis of the team is very close to yours but not exact.

But..........I still have hope the Gophers can become a playoff threat, and I have no idea whether that hope is realistic

Also, I wanted to say, typical luck for the way this season has gone, we beat Wisconsin 2-0 and can't even watch the game because the stream was all messed up. I checked the archive and I think it only has 10 or 15 minutes of the game on it.
            Last edited by KTDC; 02-06-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Also, I wanted to say, typical luck for the way this season has gone, we beat Wisconsin 2-0 and can't even watch the game because the stream was all messed up. I checked the archive and I think it only has 10 or 15 minutes of the game on it.
              I assume that both Gopher goals are missing? I don't have irrefutable proof, but indications point to Timothy A being behind it.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Cool, you guys get the distinct pleasure of playing Ms. Meanstreak Kolstad and the literally fighting ladies of sue....please pound the crap out of the sue. They are the top goonsquad and in the league since Miller isn't at UMD anymore.

No way! Bush league hockey team from Grand Forks? You've got to be kidding us.

Comment

When she and Pannek came out there were quite a few that considered them comparable talents...and indeed they started out somewhat similarly. But you just had to figure that in the long run Pannek would start to show some separation - multi sports superstar, soccer state champion two straight years, MN state soccer player of the year (not even her main sport) and national honor society. Kelly's an impressive young lady that will not be denied.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Gopher recruit Taylor Heise honored in today's Star Tribune:

Prep athletes of the week: Red Wing girls' hockey star on scoring tear since gold-medal win
                    http://www.startribune.com/prep-athl...win/412927763/

(also Minnesota-Duluth recruit and Eden Prairie forward Naomi Rogge is also mentioned in the same article toward the bottom)
                    Last edited by D2D; 02-07-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Looks like this recruit has Schammel like numbers when she was at Red Wing a few years back. Not sure how much you can read into this. Goals do not come easy playing with the big Girls unless you are Kelly Pannek or Amanda Kessell.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                        Looks like this recruit has Schammel like numbers when she was at Red Wing a few years back. Not sure how much you can read into this. Goals do not come easy playing with the big Girls unless you are Kelly Pannek or Amanda Kessell.
                        Yes, according to KRACH there are 71 high school girls teams that have a tougher strength of schedule than Red Wing. On the other hand Heise does not have much of a supporting cast as some of the other top players that came out of her school...the team isn't as good as it used to be so she's having to do it more on her own. And the fact that she's been selected twice by USA Hockey to be on the U18 team is laudable...

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                          D2D mentioned the US national under 18 team experience and watching her in that environment she definitely belongs. As with most high school players with a few exceptions there is an adjustment to the college game and we will see how she does in that regard.

Comment

As with most high school players with a few exceptions there is an adjustment to the college game and we will see how she does in that regard.
                            I have a hunch that Amy Potomak may turn out to be one of those few exceptions.
                            https://youtu.be/pbYSl7yhXJc

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I have a hunch that Amy Potomak may turn out to be one of those few exceptions.
                              https://youtu.be/pbYSl7yhXJc
                              Certainly possible... The breakaway goal where she shoots it between her legs is pretty sweet. It also got me to thinking I hope we, as Gopher fans, get to see GZ on a breakaway shooting a slapshot.

Comment

D2D has edited post #623 to add the article about Makayla Pahl posted on GPL. I will also add it here.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/h...ign=user-share

Comment

Working...
                                X