Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I would not at all have had any sort of issue with Kessel returning other than it was announced that she had retired. If no one uses "retired" in the description of why she didn't play, I'm fine with that. The word "retired" tells me she's is done playing college hockey, she might as well have graduated. End of discussion. As a Badger fan, I was relieved that UW didn't have to contend with her, it made the rodents easier to beat. (And that is a complement of Kessel to the highest degree. She was a player to be feared when she was at the top of her game.) To prove that, UW was 2-0 against the Kessel-less rodents and 1-3 against the rodents with Kessel. Just don't use word "retire" and my brain doesn't explode. Peace out.
    As I said: dumb and churlish.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      That's could be a side affect of the paint thinner as well...

Look at the bright side, you'll very likely be witnessing your squad pound BC or some other eastern sacrificial lamb this year.
      Clarkson 5 Minnesota 4
      You need to be reminded that you, too, are human.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Clarkson 5 Minnesota 4
        Hence the Frankie Valli "Your Day Will Come" reference earlier...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Clarkson 5 Minnesota 4
          Naw, we don't really need reminding these days, I don't think
          Last edited by KTDC; 02-04-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

In the ongoing theme of ridiculousness, since she only played 3 1/2 years maybe Kessel should be allowed to come back as a replacement for Cameranesi for the rest of this season. Can she get out of her contract with New York? It would be fun just to see the outcry from the poor little put upon Badger fans. But even more as a Sonmor-like Gopher fan I'd love to see a P P K line play.
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              You're focused on rules, which most will agree don't fit every situation, thus the waiver process. I'm suggesting that those who are capable of doing so focus on the bigger picture and what is actually happening in a young woman's life.
              I think I'm focused on you guys drawing a comparison of two situations which are very different in the exact circumstances being compared.

Comment

Gophers had an 18 game unbeaten streak (including 14 straight wins) against the Badgers. That would make any fan of a top notch program a little cranky

While the national championships are more desirable, I think the above is the most amazing of all GWH's recent accomplishments!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  Gophers had an 18 game unbeaten streak (including 14 straight wins) against the Badgers. That would make any fan of a top notch program a little cranky

While the national championships are more desirable, I think the above is the most amazing of all GWH's recent accomplishments!
                  14 straight wins! Amazing! You'd think after that they would have stayed down in their hole and just put out a white flag whenever a Gopher showed up.

Comment

Gopher women athletes excel in sports other than just hockey!

https://youtu.be/jbYZfjk-Eko
                    Last edited by D2D; 02-04-2017, 02:29 PM.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Gopher women athletes excel in sports other than just hockey!

https://youtu.be/jbYZfjk-Eko
                      Thank you for that. Besides the hockey we watched the softball and volleyball games shown live. Had not seen the Banham buzzer beater before. Just great!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        Then I don't understand mentioning Pankowski to Timothy in regard to Kessel.

His objection (if you want to put it that way) is that Kessel needed a way around the 'five year rule' (justified or otherwise) to play in 2016. Mentioning Pankowski playing in 2018-2019 would in no way be comparable; it would still be within her five years.

So why would he, or should he, have any Kessel-like discomfort with Pankowski playing in her fifth year?

(And before Gopher fans jump on me, I'm A-OK with Kessel having gotten to play in a sixth year. I'm just pointing out that you guys seem to be making a false comparison.)
                        I suggest that rather than sit behind the Badger bench at both the final reg season games and WCHA tourney, Badger fans sit under the NCAA championship banner (this is directly across from the Badger bench) and consequently will not have to look at it. This can be your safe zone.

The best site I have ever seen for explaining NCAA eligibilty was a Canadian site explaining and advising prospective players:
                        http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaa_eli...explained.html

BTW, here is a link to the NCAA vote on Kessel's waiver:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-zIV4mVrk
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM. Reason: Cheeseheads? Cheesebrains.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          I suggest that rather than sit behind the Badger bench at both the final reg season games and WCHA tourney, Badger fans sit under the NCAA championship banner (this is directly across from the Badger bench) and consequently will not have to look at it. This can be your safe zone.

The best site I have ever seen for explaining NCAA eligibilty was a Canadian site explaining and advising prospective players:
                          http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaa_eli...explained.html

BTW, here is a link to the NCAA vote on Kessel's waiver:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-zIV4mVrk
                          I think you have me confused with Timothy. I don't sit behind the Badger bench, he does. I have NO PROBLEM with Kessel playing in her sixth year.

Once more, I was pointing out that bringing up Pankowski as a counterpoint to Kessel's situation was and is an inapt comparison. When Pankowski is playing in the 2020 Final Four, then she will be in a similar situation. Until, then, not so much.

Comment

The Gophers won today despite playing one of the poorest periods (the 3rd) of the season. Yes, hard to get fired up for a team you've dominated forever, and I'm sure they'll be more motivated and play much better next weekend...including in goal.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              I think you have me confused with Timothy. I don't sit behind the Badger bench, he does. I have NO PROBLEM with Kessel playing in her sixth year.

Once more, I was pointing out that bringing up Pankowski as a counterpoint to Kessel's situation was and is an inapt comparison. When Pankowski is playing in the 2020 Final Four, then she will be in a similar situation. Until, then, not so much.
                              Fair enough, you are correct, it would take 3 years of what ifs for Pankowski’s situation to be the same as Kessel’s
                              I do take issue with you referring to the 5 year rule though, it is not a hard and fast rule.
                              I don’t follow college football, but isn’t there a few Big Ten football players that have either played a 6th year or are trying to (Michigan or Michigan St)
                              And I seem to recall a player a few years back who had an exemption for religious reasons, he had served in ministry overseas, required by his religion.
                              And there was a MN hockey player around 1970 or so who attended school for a year, was either drafted or enlisted in the military and returned to play for MN.
                              NCAA rules specifically give exemptions for players who serve their country or religion from the 5 year rule. My assumption is that Kessel qualified for this by serving her country on the Olympic team, maybe I’m wrong.
                              But it would be interesting to know if players would bypass the Olympic team or their 4th year of eligibility if such were not the case. They always have to keep in mind injury is a possibility that might cost them, and I would think the coach isn’t going to honor their scholarship if they aren’t returning to play. That would be a big financial hit, to pay for your final year of school, what’s that, about $25K at a State school?

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                In the ongoing theme of ridiculousness, since she only played 3 1/2 years maybe Kessel should be allowed to come back as a replacement for Cameranesi for the rest of this season.
                                I'll settle for Cameranesi coming back as a replacement for herself. Someone will complain about that, too, I suppose, even though I've never heard anyone associated with UM say that 21 is done.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X