Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    That's could be a side affect of the paint thinner as well...

Look at the bright side, you'll very likely be witnessing your squad pound BC or some other eastern sacrificial lamb this year.
    Right on the thinner.

We could get a visit from UM or UMD and that would be a tough out before getting to the F4 and pounding eastern teams senseless. Could be UM or UMD getting that pleasure.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by timothy a View Post
      to sneak by them in the semi's and then get to pound bc would have been the bomb.
      Originally posted by fiveholefrenzy View Post
      look at the bright side, you'll very likely be witnessing your squad pound bc or some other eastern sacrificial lamb this year.
      NOT COOL MAN
      o
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by tonythetiger20 View Post
        NOT COOL MAN
        o
        No need for all caps...Just look to Frankie Valli for your squad's inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kARSN_HyIvQ
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Just saw this pop up over on GPL...

Sydney Shearen, a forward from White Bear Lake committed to Minnesota for 2019-2020

Comment

Good news is Schipper, Piazza, and May all back on the line sheet.

Although Piazza is on the 4th line.
            Second line of Williamson, with Keller and Reilly on the wings. I like this line, not so much because I think they will produce but because we need them to produce!

Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              So you'll have a problem with Pankowski in two years? Got it.
              While it may seem like it was otherwise, Pankowski in 2013-2014 was not enrolled in school, was in no way part of the UW team, etc.

It *would have* been her freshman year, but she essentially took the year off from school. She is not now any sort of 'redshirt' anything. Her 'clock' didn't start until the 2014-2015 season, and she is right now a regular old junior. She can take next year for the Olympics, and come back for 2018-2019 with no 'exception' etc needed. Just another player taking the year off to go to the Olympics.

Comment

And to think, seven days ago, we thought this team would never score again . . .

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Pankowski ... is not now any sort of 'redshirt' anything. Her 'clock' didn't start until the 2014-2015 season, and she is right now a regular old junior. She can take next year for the Olympics, and come back for 2018-2019 with no 'exception' etc needed. Just another player taking the year off to go to the Olympics.
                  I get all that. What's strange is someone's indignation when a player misses a season because she is too sick to even attend school, but it's fine to take a year off to practice with the best players in the world. In which scenario is some advantage more likely to be gained? The 2016 Kessel wasn't close to the Patty Kaz version of her; she didn't even lift last year. The funny thing is that Krissy Wendell could have come back for a senior season even though it would have been her seventh year out of high school. Her clock hadn't started yet either, and in any case, players always get Olympic exemptions if it comes to that.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I get all that.
                    Then I don't understand mentioning Pankowski to Timothy in regard to Kessel.

His objection (if you want to put it that way) is that Kessel needed a way around the 'five year rule' (justified or otherwise) to play in 2016. Mentioning Pankowski playing in 2018-2019 would in no way be comparable; it would still be within her five years.

So why would he, or should he, have any Kessel-like discomfort with Pankowski playing in her fifth year?

(And before Gopher fans jump on me, I'm A-OK with Kessel having gotten to play in a sixth year. I'm just pointing out that you guys seem to be making a false comparison.)

Comment

(And before Gopher fans jump on me, I'm A-OK with Kessel having gotten to play in a sixth year. I'm just pointing out that you guys seem to be making a false comparison.)
                      It's mostly that we think the original complaint was both dumb and churlish.

Comment

I get all that. What's strange is someone's indignation when a player misses a season because she is too sick to even attend school, but it's fine to take a year off to practice with the best players in the world. In which scenario is some advantage more likely to be gained? The 2016 Kessel wasn't close to the Patty Kaz version of her; she didn't even lift last year. The funny thing is that Krissy Wendell could have come back for a senior season even though it would have been her seventh year out of high school. Her clock hadn't started yet either, and in any case, players always get Olympic exemptions if it comes to that.
                        I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it, nothing in all our years of watching Gopher hockey has made us happier than just seeing Amanda Kessel skate out onto the ice again at Ridder arena. We were so happy for Amanda after all she went through.

It would have been fun to see both Wendell and Darwitz play their fourth years, but as Natalie told us at a banquet back then it was "time to move on." 2007 was not a very good year for the Gophers, but with those two back I don't think they would have lost 12 games.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM. Reason: Wife's addition
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          It's mostly that we think the original complaint was both dumb and churlish.
                          I would not at all have had any sort of issue with Kessel returning other than it was announced that she had retired. If no one uses "retired" in the description of why she didn't play, I'm fine with that. The word "retired" tells me she's is done playing college hockey, she might as well have graduated. End of discussion. As a Badger fan, I was relieved that UW didn't have to contend with her, it made the rodents easier to beat. (And that is a complement of Kessel to the highest degree. She was a player to be feared when she was at the top of her game.) To prove that, UW was 2-0 against the Kessel-less rodents and 1-3 against the rodents with Kessel. Just don't use word "retire" and my brain doesn't explode. Peace out.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I would not at all have had any sort of issue with Kessel returning other than it was announced that she had retired. If no one uses "retired" in the description of why she didn't play, I'm fine with that. The word "retired" tells me she's is done playing college hockey, she might as well have graduated. End of discussion. As a Badger fan, I was relieved that UW didn't have to contend with her, it made the rodents easier to beat. (And that is a complement of Kessel to the highest degree. She was a player to be feared when she was at the top of her game.) To prove that, UW was 2-0 against the Kessel-less rodents and 1-3 against the rodents with Kessel. Just don't use word "retire" and my brain doesn't explode. Peace out.
                            So rather than celebrate a woman who had gone through a really dark time with the threat of never really being healthy again only to discover a way back you chose to focus on the Webster definition of a single word because of how her recovery affected the potential outcome of one season of your favorite sportsball team. The disappointment I can understand, the endless whining for a year afterwards not so much. Peace off

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I've got no problem with BADger fans brains exploding over Kessel. In fact, I'm holding out hope, however slim it may be, that Cameranesi finds the kid from the Roswell TV show that has healing powers just so she can come back to help defeat the BADgers and cause BADger fans to go into profanity laced tirades like this...

https://youtu.be/xafQSxy1_9k

Comment

Mentioning Pankowski playing in 2018-2019 would in no way be comparable; it would still be within her five years.
                                You're focused on rules, which most will agree don't fit every situation, thus the waiver process. I'm suggesting that those who are capable of doing so focus on the bigger picture and what is actually happening in a young woman's life.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X