Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

BU has added Mary Parker from Harvard to this year's roster to go along with the addition of Nina Rodgers. Should add a little extra life to the series in December. Too bad it's not at Ridder.

Great and powerful wizard

Whitecaps first line: Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux.

Second line: Potter, Anderson, Thunstrom.

The Whitecaps had some serious offensive fire power.

What they didn't have was game level conditioning. The Whitecaps were better in the first period but as they gradually ran out of gas in the second and third the Gophers became the better of the two teams.

It was fun to see some hockey on a rainy September evening.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Yeah, the first line for the Whitecaps...fun to watch their speed and creativity.

I was impressed with the freshmen d. Both Robinson and Marshall held their own against some very high powered forwards.

Caitlin Riley was absolutely flying out there. To me, she looked like the most improved player from last year.

Dani Cameranesi's goal at the end of the second period...Whoa!
    Stop enslaving yourself under the tyrannical rule of Google...The sooner the better.

I thought the Gopher freshman all played well. Also, Sidney Peters played very well. She appeared a lot more mobile in goal than she did at times in her first two years and she was very good at controlling the puck. 5 to 4 win over a very talented Whitecaps team. Sounds familiar.

We finally got to see Coyne play again. They had quite the first line.

Loudest cheer in the arena may have been when Hannah was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Yeah, the first line for the Whitecaps...fun to watch their speed and creativity.

I was impressed with the freshmen d. Both Robinson and Marshall held their own against some very high powered forwards.

Caitlin Riley was absolutely flying out there. To me, she looked like the most improved player from last year.

Dani Cameranesi's goal at the end of the second period...Whoa!
    Dani's goal was a highlight reel one for sure but there were no cheap goals, lots of beautiful plays I was concerned early as the defense looked confused but then it occurred to me that a) it was the first game of the season, 2) they were swapping mates and iii) they will never ever face anything approaching a Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux line again this season so there is no cause for concern. But then they started to handle those guys OK too. It was a fun night.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Whitecaps first line: Brandt, Coyne, JLamoureux.

Second line: Potter, Anderson, Thunstrom.

The Whitecaps had some serious offensive fire power.

What they didn't have was game level conditioning. The Whitecaps were better in the first period but as they gradually ran out of gas in the second and third the Gophers became the better of the two teams.

It was fun to see some hockey on a rainy September evening.
    Great fun, one of the fastest games we have seen!
    They may have run out of gas but the 5 minute stretch from MNs 5th goal to the end of the game the Whitecaps were on fire. That the Gophers weathered that without panic & limiting them to one 6-on-5 goal over the last 2 minutes was impressive.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Dani's goal was a highlight reel one for sure but there were no cheap goals ...
    The PP goal to tie it in the third that went off traffic wasn't exactly a thing of beauty, but at least just prior to that they'd had the best puck movement that they'd had with the advantage all night. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think line combinations will be important. I hope there wasn't anything seriously wrong with #19. More so than in recent years, I expect that this team will look far different in March than it does in October.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The PP goal to tie it in the third that went off traffic wasn't exactly a thing of beauty, but at least just prior to that they'd had the best puck movement that they'd had with the advantage all night. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think line combinations will be important. I hope there wasn't anything seriously wrong with #19. More so than in recent years, I expect that this team will look far different in March than it does in October.
    I was thinking the same thing. More of a work-in-progress than recent teams as you say but, should be an enjoyable year to watch their growth over the course of the year.
    Stop enslaving yourself under the tyrannical rule of Google...The sooner the better.

They had to work for it and there were some great passes made. From my seat it looked like it went in off the goalies skate or maybe leg but they worked hard to get it there, it was not cheap. We noticed #19 sat and are hoping it was just to give the frosh more ice time. It will be interesting to watch them grow this year and I wonder, given the number of skaters they have, if someone or two get a redshirt.

They had to work for it and there were some great passes made. From my seat it looked like it went in off the goalies skate or maybe leg but they worked hard to get it there, it was not cheap. We noticed #19 sat and are hoping it was just to give the frosh more ice time. It will be interesting to watch them grow this year and I wonder, given the number of skaters they have, if someone or two get a redshirt.
    Pannek didn't come out of the dressing room for the second period. Sierra Smith served the rest of her penalty, which carried over from the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Sierra Smith served the rest of her penalty, which carried over from the first.
    I didn't notice that!

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Yeah, impressive play by Caitlin Reilly, I don’t recall her being as physical last year as she was Friday, she created lots of havoc for the Whitecaps, as did Cara Piazza. Although I believe Piazza would appear more often on the score sheet as a wing, what a monster at the center position! Good effort by both of those players.
    The defensive play of the game had to have been on Coyne coming in with speed in the final minutes of the game and was thwarted by Megan Wolfe.
    Kippin Keller as advertised by Frost: “Kippin is smooth-skating forward. She has the vision to set people up as well as the ability to score.” Yes, yes, and yes.
    Woken: “Alex has tremendous speed and is able to generate chances for herself … She has a quick release and has a knack for finding the back of the net.”
    I had never seen them play before, obviously Frost is familiar with them.
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    BU has added Mary Parker from Harvard to this year's roster to go along with the addition of Nina Rodgers. Should add a little extra life to the series in December. Too bad it's not at Ridder.
    Well, I'm glad the games are at Walter Brown. However, for those of you that won't be coming to Boston BU has announced that all regular season home hockey games for men and women will be streamed free in HD. So you should be able to watch the games, barring streaming issues.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

The people that want to transform MN from a white male dominated fossil burning (sic) culture to ... whatever the hell it is they want this country to turn into have an event planned for this Friday to thwart your attempt to attend the GWH game Friday night.

Fear not GWH fans, there is always a way to circumvent the well intentions, but failed outcomes, of the Utopians.

Ride the choo choo train!
    for free!
    http://lynx.wnba.com/minnesota-lynx-and-metro-transit/
    use the above link, semifinals game 2 link, no, you do not have to have a Lynx ticket, just download the pass and print it out and take it with you
    good from 5pm to about 9 or 10
    do not use the free pass for the Open streets event, it is only good until 6pm
    but here it is if you want to use that one to frolic with the Utopians
    http://www.openstreetsmpls.org/u_of_mn

you now have no excuse not to be there to watch GWH begin their defense of the Natty
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

They hung another banner at Ridder tonight. I wonder if it ever gets old. Nope, not yet

http://i.imgur.com/CysMBrl.jpg

They hung another banner at Ridder tonight. I wonder if it ever gets old. Nope, not yet

http://i.imgur.com/CysMBrl.jpg
    Well, that's one of the grainier photos on the net. And it's a little odd you needed the upper right hand corner of the photo to start a fire. And no, I don't want to know just what it was that you started on fire.

That said, the banner and its meaning more than make up for all of that. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Well, that's one of the grainier photos on the net. And it's a little odd you needed the upper right hand corner of the photo to start a fire. And no, I don't want to know just what it was that you started on fire.

That said, the banner and its meaning more than make up for all of that. Congrats.
    I took it in the dark so potato quality - here is a better one http://i.imgur.com/lX8eyoV.jpg
    I'd get a shot of all of them but I'd need a really wide angle lens! :P

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Did I miss anything today? Were either of the goals by the freshmen apart from the save-the-puck thing? Any cause for concern from the second-period goals allowed? Are any of the line combos that we've seen thus far likely to stick?

After watching the game in Duluth today, I'm reminded that it is hard for a hockey team to look impressive in September and the opening days of October, and we've been spoiled by teams that are ready for prime time as quickly as ours have been.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Did I miss anything today? Were either of the goals by the freshmen apart from the save-the-puck thing? Any cause for concern from the second-period goals allowed? Are any of the line combos that we've seen thus far likely to stick?

After watching the game in Duluth today, I'm reminded that it is hard for a hockey team to look impressive in September and the opening days of October, and we've been spoiled by teams that are ready for prime time as quickly as ours have been.
    Both of their goals were one-on-one, one a full break away the other had to carry a D with her but still got a nice shot over Peter's shoulder. I think it is the only way they were going to score as they were never able to put pressure on, getting only 20 shots all weekend. The Gopher D was solid. The only concern I had was the dozens of missed redirects in the slot, but it is very early & none of the lines have had much time together. Lindenwood played very good defense and had solid goal tending.

Agnew's was a nice tip in off of a great set up from Dani, I missed Woken's because I was setting up for the reception so I can't tell you anything about that one.

Great and powerful wizard

Did I miss anything today?
    The only thing that I found to be even slightly remarkable is that the Gophers dressed only 5 D for each game.

It isn't that big a deal because looking back to last season they usually only play 5 for most of the game. So they continued with that, 5 D played all of the shifts available for defenders.

Except that on Friday night they dressed 17 skaters, one less than they were allowed to dress. And on Saturday they completed the 18 dressed roster by dressing an extra forward and then had a dressed forward who as far as I can tell played zero shifts. They had a spot for a D which they did not use.

I do not know what this means.

The freshman? The freshman forwards who dressed both indicated that they are probably going to be up to the task going forward. They both scored. And they both looked quite capable of playing at this next higher level. For now I like one of them slightly more than the other but it is early and they both looked like they can play. Maybe people who were at the game will understand this but one of them reminded me slightly more of Davis and the other reminded me slightly more of Terry.

The freshman D took her turn as one of five and I thought more than held her own. She played very well, she looks to be a keeper.

Elsewhere, Potamak, Pannek and Cameranesi all displayed considerable advancement from the roles that they played last season. Potamak as a center looks to be a much better player than she was as a wing on the Brandt line. I say this keeping in mind that as mostly a wing on the Brandt line she was last year's national rookie of the year.

Lindenwood played a very Bemidji like defensive style. They almost always had four and usually five players below the dots when the Gophers were in the offensive zone. Bemidji does that too. It allows for blocked shots by the defense and smothering the puck when it gets near the crease. It keeps the score down and if you can get a couple of breaks at the other end you have a chance. That didn't work out for Lindenwood this weekend.

Gophers 9-2.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Thread Information