Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Can't wait to see her play with the Big Girls. She won't have the 5 seconds to wind up that shot with her 180 flex stick. Limited space in the middle & her lack of puck movement will force her to not be so 1 dimensional.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Getting way ahead of things here, but imagine the whining if she were to make it both in 2018 AND 2022, and then return to help the Gophers crush the Badgers in 2022-23. I believe she would need an exemption from the NCAA, and I wonder if there is any precedent for them granting one for athletes competing in the Olympics?
      I don't think that's the case -- NCAA doesn't require any sort of exemption if you complete your 4 years of eligiblity within 5 years of starting. Since she wouldn't be starting until the 2018-2019 season (in this scenario), it's not a problem. That's what Poulin (UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) did and there wasn't any sort of exemption needed.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Dust Bucket View Post
        Can't wait to see her play with the Big Girls. She won't have the 5 seconds to wind up that shot with her 180 flex stick. Limited space in the middle & her lack of puck movement will force her to not be so 1 dimensional.
        Having watch her in all the World U18 games I can assure you she's far from being one dimensional. But your point about having less time and space to get her shot off is very true. Like all freshmen she will have to adjust.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          I don't think that's the case -- NCAA doesn't require any sort of exemption if you complete your 4 years of eligiblity within 5 years of starting. Since she wouldn't be starting until the 2018-2019 season (in this scenario), it's not a problem. That's what Poulin (UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) did and there wasn't any sort of exemption needed.
          Tim asked me to thank you for the clarification, Grant.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Tim asked me to thank you for the clarification, Grant.
            Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              .Seriously, it is so teed up for your squad this year that if they don't win the whole shebang, you are going to blow a gasket and wind up in the booby hatch.
              I don't think I'll blow a gasket. You just don't know what is going to happen. Just ask the 2012 Badgers or 2014 Rodents. Looking back at the 2012 UW team, I can't believe they lost a game let alone the title with that roster. The only way I may blow a gasket is if officiating is egregiously bad UW gets 2 pp's and the opponent gets 6, with phantom penalties and no calls everywhere. That would be a travesty, but still, they would still have a chance to win the game, so who knows. I am very concerned that over in the Krach discussion, there is a possibility UW will have to play UM or UMD in the first round. As hot as UW is, those 2 teams are potent opponents that could easily knock UW out on their home ice. Nothing is for certain other than enjoy the ride, it only ends well for 1 team.

Not sure why I'd be bothered if Pankowski is playing for UW in 18-19...that would be her 4th year of playing on the team.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Sure would be nice if the team had a difficult choice to make, come playoff time.
                It might make sense to give each an opportunity to shine each weekend, alternating until playoffs start.
                Then go with the hot hand.
                This is an interesting idea. Frost certainly has a decision to make after Ms May getting ill right after earning the starting job and Ms Peters putting herself back into the mix.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Gunderson from Reilly and Barlow may have been my personal highlight of this season to date. Not so much the goal as the celebration; it's nice to see them so happy.
                You mentioned this in Wednesday Women today also. I went back again to look at the replay and experience some vicarious joy, but the celly was cut off by the "Today's Matchup" graphic that also prevented my from watching Kelly Pannek's penalty shot

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I don't think I'll blow a gasket. You just don't know what is going to happen. Just ask the 2012 Badgers or 2014 Rodents. Looking back at the 2012 UW team, I can't believe they lost a game let alone the title with that roster. The only way I may blow a gasket is if officiating is egregiously bad UW gets 2 pp's and the opponent gets 6, with phantom penalties and no calls everywhere. That would be a travesty, but still, they would still have a chance to win the game, so who knows. I am very concerned that over in the Krach discussion, there is a possibility UW will have to play UM or UMD in the first round. As hot as UW is, those 2 teams are potent opponents that could easily knock UW out on their home ice. Nothing is for certain other than enjoy the ride, it only ends well for 1 team.

Not sure why I'd be bothered if Pankowski is playing for UW in 18-19...that would be her 4th year of playing on the team.
                  We'll see...

If I'm being honest though, I just really wanted to use shebang, blow a gasket, and booby hatch in a post...

So now Grace Zumwinkle is one dimensional? That is an interesting take considering how good of an athlete she is.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

As hot as UW is, those 2 teams are potent opponents that could easily knock UW out on their home ice.
                    If the Badgers can't beat this version of UM, do they really deserve a title? UMD, I'll give you, because the Bullies are a long way from the caliber of the last team into the field.

We're not sure why you're so bothered about an opponent playing her fourth season. You should be thankful that Kessel missed much of last year or there'd be two fewer banners hanging from the rafters of LaBahn.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      You should be thankful that Kessel missed much of last year or there'd be two fewer banners hanging from the rafters of LaBahn.
                      Oh man, that is an A+ quality burn alol

Comment

I don't mind 4 years, it's when you get 6, that bothers me. At any rate, Sophie Shirley will match her goal for goal, UW will have Clark and Pankowski against her for her freshman year, and UW will have better goaltenders as usual, so BRING IT!
                        Kessel on played 4 years, well, 3 and a half. If we get the great games from the matchups we have gotten the last half dozen season and , by accident, Wisconsin manages to win a couple I will not spend the next year and a half complaining about it.

Comment

By the end of the regular season in 2012 the Gophers were the best team in women's hockey. With players such as Bozek, Erickson, Kessel, Ramsey, Schleper, Schoullis, West and others I'm surprised they weren't more dominant earlier on in the season. And then there was Raty who after two disappointing NCAA tournaments decided she was not going to lose again. And she never did.
                          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            Kessel on played 4 years, well, 3 and a half. If we get the great games from the matchups we have gotten the last half dozen season and , by accident, Wisconsin manages to win a couple I will not spend the next year and a half complaining about it.
                            Yeah, I need to let it go. I was all good with it, then something snapped in my head and I couldn't help myself. It just sucks to no end to lose to your biggest rival in the biggest game to date. I just don't think I'll ever come to grips with that loss, though in retrospect, that UW team was more flawed (speed and scoring depth) then this one and the rodents were the better team, but to sneak by them in the semi's and then get to pound BC would have been the bomb.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Yeah, I need to let it go. I was all good with it, then something snapped in my head and I couldn't help myself. It just sucks to no end to lose to your biggest rival in the biggest game to date. I just don't think I'll ever come to grips with that loss, though in retrospect, that UW team was more flawed (speed and scoring depth) then this one and the rodents were the better team, but to sneak by them in the semi's and then get to pound BC would have been the bomb.
                              That's could be a side affect of the paint thinner as well...

Look at the bright side, you'll very likely be witnessing your squad pound BC or some other eastern sacrificial lamb this year.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                That's could be a side affect of the paint thinner as well...

Look at the bright side, you'll very likely be witnessing your squad pound BC or some other eastern sacrificial lamb this year.
                                Thats the thing. Win or lose these things turn around and luck always has a hand in the game. Sure, I would love another 62-0-0 run but its not likely so I just have to enjoy every game, admire the skill and dedication, celebrate the wins and take the lumps in their turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X