Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    But why pull Peters?
    I thought it was a little odd given the shutout situation as well, but my guess is that the desire to get Serena some game experience overrode the desire to let Sid try for the clean sheet. The team had a 4-goal lead, so give the rookie some ice time.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      I thought it was a little odd given the shutout situation as well, but my guess is that the desire to get Serena some game experience overrode the desire to let Sid try for the clean sheet. The team had a 4-goal lead, so give the rookie some ice time.
      Hopefully the change wasn't due to an injury of some kind.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
        Then put her in at the start of a period or better still, give her the second game. That made no sense. Peters looked good tonight so I don't think she was hurt.

Comment

Then put her in at the start of a period or better still, give her the second game. That made no sense. Peters looked good tonight so I don't think she was hurt.
          I agree that I wouldn't have made a move then, but Frost hasn't had a lot of chances to play a backup. Every game lately has been tied in the third. Even this one was 2-0 after two. I doubt he ever considered starting her in the second game with Lee gone and Wolfe playing hurt.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Gophers on the World Scene errata:

The USA section includes pictures of Agnew (top row, first from the left), Leveille, and Potomak. The text beneath the head shots in each case identifies the individual as a member of a Canadian national team.

Potomak also appears in the Canada section (a different picture) but Agnew and Leveille do not. No USA players in the Canada section.

The Finland section is correct.
            Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 10-30-2016, 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I agree that I wouldn't have made a move then, but Frost hasn't had a lot of chances to play a backup. Every game lately has been tied in the third. Even this one was 2-0 after two. I doubt he ever considered starting her in the second game with Lee gone and Wolfe playing hurt.
              Then give her a game next weekend. However, Peters made, what, 9 saves on the night? I think D'Angelo could have handled that.
              /nitpicking

Comment

I think D'Angelo could have handled that.
                Frost thought she could handle the last 10 minutes on Friday, and in terms of W/L, he was right. His objectives are often loftier than mine.

Comment

Gophers still shooting at worse percentage than their opponents! I imagine that will change before the end of the year, but it has never happened before at the end of a season!

TEAM STATISTICS....... MINN.......... OPP
                  SHOT STATISTICS
                  Goals-Shot attempts. ..32-375........15-155
                  Shot pct.................... .085 .......... .097

Sarah is shooting .220 so that is carrying us a long ways

Comment

Lee Stecklein's work is never done but today she was doing that work in Finland. It didn't work out well for Team USA today but the Gophers got a solid defensive performance from the no Stecklein available defensive corps and got away with a solid win. I thought it helped considerably that tonight Peters was mostly very good.

The top line provided the goals that were needed, Cameranesi had three goals and Pannek had three assists but I continue to believe in the power of Potomak, she makes things happen. That group was outstanding tonight.

Did I see Cline as a forward on one of the secondary power play units?

No one I talked to had heard anything so I hope it isn't anything dire but anytime this team plays without Cara Piazza, as they did tonight, there is some cause for concern.

My personal preference would be to move the stupid men's football against something called Per-dew to Sunday and GWH should have center stage tomorrow but I guess we all know that ain't gonna happen so let's go Gophers on Sunday afternoon.
                    Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 11-04-2016, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      No one I talked to had heard anything so I hope it isn't anything dire but anytime this team plays without Cara Piazza, as they did tonight, there is some cause for concern.
                      She was in attendance and not obviously impaired in any way, so I'm hoping that after the bye week she'll be good to go. Frost didn't offer anything beyond her being out this weekend.

Comment

It might have been too nice a day outdoors to go inside a building with ice on the floor.

But I did.

Minnesota dominated the first period but didn't get a goal. A goal would have been nice but it turned out that a first period goal was totally unnecessary, the Gophers also dominated the second period and outscored MSU in that period by 6-1.

So many highlights, so much great play. Where to start? Well with the first one I think. It was a spectacular tic-tac-toe, Pannek in the corner to Cameranesi on the boards behind the net, out in front to Potomak, snap shot, goal. Brilliant. Some times assists are just sort of granted to the player or players who last touched the puck before the goal scorer made the magic moment happen. Not in this case, two brilliant plays, two great passes, one great top shelf shot, GOAL.

Mankato got a goal to tie 1-1 and then the Gopher fourth line took a penalty. It was a moment when something good COULD have happened for Mankato but instead it went spectacularly all wrong. First Pannek on the PK stole a pass near the top of the zone and went sole breakaway, shifted from forehand to backhand for the shorthanded goal. In the next few moments Mankato committed an icing violation and then even worse, took a penalty while still on the PP. Minnesota rode out the remaining 25 seconds of 4 on 4 and then went to a PP. Pannek scored again. About three minutes of special teams play that began with MSU on the power play ended with two goals from Pannek. Thirty-seven seconds later Cameranesi got the first of her two. Four minutes later she got her second.

The first line having established a 5-1 lead it was time for the other lines to score and the centers on the second and third line each tallied, two by Schammel, and then the final goal of the game a laser wrist shot from the top of the slot near the circle by Williamson.

It was a spectacular day outdoors and indoors the Gophers provided entertainment that I personally found to be worthy of passing up just another day in November with 70 degree temperatures.

Exact same roster for the Gophers today as what they sent out Friday, again no Piazza.

And today I definitely DID see Cline as a forward on the PP. Second unit maybe? Baldwin and Marshall on the points, Cline, Williamson and Schipper. Cline taking Piazza's spot on that unit?

I also am pretty sure that Megan Wolfe's brother was in attendance.

Comment

Exact same roster for the Gophers today as what they sent out Friday, again no Piazza.
                          While I can't confirm this is true, I was told by someone in the stands that Cara was too ill to play this weekend. Hopefully it's temporary and she'll be 100% recovered by the 18th.

Comment

And today I definitely DID see Cline as a forward on the PP. Second unit maybe? Baldwin and Marshall on the points, Cline, Williamson and Schipper. Cline taking Piazza's spot on that unit?
                            Frost may have sent that quintet out in the third period when he was making it clear that he wasn't trying to embarrass anyone and didn't want to sent the 1st line out on the PP. In the first two periods when the Gophers still needed a PP goal, he had Schipper out with the first line plus Wolfe. I do think Cline was on the second unit with Baldwin, Marshall, Agnew, and Schammel, but that unit got far less ice time.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              While I can't confirm this is true, I was told by someone in the stands that Cara was too ill to play this weekend. Hopefully it's temporary and she'll be 100% recovered by the 18th.
                              There is a nasty flu going around the entire state. Would not surprise me to find out several players have been less than100% because of it. My one recommendation is to send the sick ones out for the handshake line and suggests hugs for the other team.

Comment

Congratulations to #19 Kelly Pannek on her 8 point weekend and being named the WCHA's Offensive Player of the Week.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201611/nov8wpw.php

Comment

Working...
                                X