Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

A line of Reilly/Piazza/Schipper ought to be generating more offense than it has been, or than it did last year. My inclination (recognizing that I'm not at practice or in the dressing room, and might be missing important information) would be that eight games is too small of a sample to give up on it given the past track record, and ought to stay together for now. As ARM said, the Woken/Williamson/Agnew combination showed signs of breaking out this weekend, so I'd stick with that, too.

That leaves Schammel and Keller as spare parts. One way to use them would be to fill in on occasional shifts on the other lines. Another is to have one of the top three centers take some shifts with them on the wing, which the team has done in the past. Or see if there is someone else (Haley? Skarzynski, though I'm not keen on bouncing her back and forth between forward and defense?) who you can use to create a full fourth line.

At this point, I think the lack of secondary scoring is a concern, but well short of a crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      ... Or see if there is someone else ( Skarzynski, though I'm not keen on bouncing her back and forth between forward and defense?)

At this point, I think the lack of secondary scoring is a concern, but well short of a crisis.
      Hey, how about moving Wolfe to center with Skarzynski as one of her wings?

I agree that it isn't a crisis, they are winning, but it is a concern that they are tied for third in scoring in WCHA games, tied with UND!
      Two and a half freakin’ goals a game! That's less than half of the recent past.

So let’s see, an assistant coach who was a goal scorer leaves, Gopher goals go down, OSU goals go up.
      Coincidence?

statistical anomaly?
      well maybe, who would have guessed Stecklein would be -1 after 8 games?
      maybe the take away is that parity has finally come to the WCHA, it seems to have come to the ECAC (and Hockey Easy in a perverse way, the bottom hasn't gotten better, the top has gone down)

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

well maybe, who would have guessed Stecklein would be -1 after 8 games?
        maybe the take away is that parity has finally come to the WCHA, it seems to have come to the ECAC (and Hockey Easy in a perverse way, the bottom hasn't gotten better, the top has gone down)
        and who would've guessed Keller would be -3 after playing 2 games against a WCHA team

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
          and who would've guessed Keller would be -3 after playing 2 games against a WCHA team
          This and Stecklein's stats should be a red flag for this year's team.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

[QUOTE=5mn_Major;6379097]This and Stecklein's stats should be a red flag for this year's team.[/QUOTE

Maybe Lee is trying to do too much on the ice this season. What do some coaches tell their players...slow the game down and let it come to you? Stecklein is as good a defensive player as any we have seen on the Gophers. The -1 stat is probably just an anomaly at this early point. She was +51 last year.
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

[QUOTE=bluffrinkrat;6379114]
              Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              This and Stecklein's stats should be a red flag for this year's team.[/QUOTE

Maybe Lee is trying to do too much on the ice this season. What do some coaches tell their players...slow the game down and let it come to you? Stecklein is as good a defensive player as any we have seen on the Gophers. The -1 stat is probably just an anomaly at this early point. She was +51 last year.
              No question. If anyone is a pro, its her. The question regarding the team is that the group skating with her has only massed a +1.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

• [QUOTE=bluffrinkrat;6379114]
                Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                This and Stecklein's stats should be a red flag for this year's team.[/QUOTE

She's very good and seems to be trying to fill in too many shoes at once. She will be fine if she goes back to what she does well. Wisconsin have similar worries with Pankowski who has not scored in the team's first 8 games. Clark hasn't necessarily been lighting it up either. It is still early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  A line of Reilly/Piazza/Schipper ought to be generating more offense than it has been,
                  I have only watched the home games, but isn't this line paired for the most part with the other teams #1 line? and hasn't #2 & #12 been the defensive pair against the #1 line?
                  this would account for lower scoring and the negative +/-

probably accounts for why they aren't scoring that much, and why the two defenders +/- is a lot lower than would be expected

Comment

I hope Megan Wolfe is back for SCSU series. Especially Friday. Missing Megan and Stecklein would certainly make things tough for our 'D' corp.

Comment

I not so sure about red flags for players with - ratings when the goaltender has given up some really soft goals. Scoring more goals, which this team is capable of doing, will help the plus/minus ratings as well.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                        I hope Megan Wolfe is back for SCSU series. Especially Friday. Missing Megan and Stecklein would certainly make things tough for our 'D' corp.
                        Saw her at Ridder. In street cloths. On the positive side she was not on crutches or in a sling.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          I not so sure about red flags for players with - ratings when the goaltender has given up some really soft goals. Scoring more goals, which this team is capable of doing, will help the plus/minus ratings as well.
                          FWIW, 8 players are plus, 4 are even, and 10 are minus
                          the good news about the minus is that all are close to even, so yeah, more goals please

soft goals tonight? not in my opinion when you hand the other team a break-a-way, and part like the Red Sea in front of your own goal
                          the box score got it right, all six players on the ice are guilty
                          to their credit, the Huskies cashed in on those opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            Saw her at Ridder. In street cloths. On the positive side she was not on crutches or in a sling.
                            She was just walking around, looking like a spectator.

Peters got better again, I thought. Of course, she only faced 6 shots, but at least she stopped all 6. As for D'Angelo, the first one she maybe could have done better but you really can't blame her for the second, a clean breakaway. She looked like a frosh goalie getting her first look at WCHA play. If I was assigning a grade I would say B- or so. She passed but did not excel.

Wonderful four goal performance from the top line and also a very nice pass from Potomak and a very nice move by Piazza for the shorthanded goal.

The Gophers looked pretty good.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I don't think you can blame D'Angelo for either goal, but we did get to see exactly what she's going to need to work on. Both goals went over her left shoulder, and she'll need to find a way to compensate for being height challenged.

Other than the two moments that led to Husky goals, I thought the Gophers played very well in the second and third periods. Both the second and third lines had chances that they couldn't quite bury, but I feel reasonably good about it.

The first period, on the other hand, was a complete mess despite coming out of it with a lead. The passing was bad, and against a team with more interest in generating offense, they could have been in trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                                She was just walking around, looking like a spectator.

Peters got better again, I thought. Of course, she only faced 6 shots, but at least she stopped all 6. As for D'Angelo, the first one she maybe could have done better but you really can't blame her for the second, a clean breakaway. She looked like a frosh goalie getting her first look at WCHA play. If I was assigning a grade I would say B- or so. She passed but did not excel.

Wonderful four goal performance from the top line and also a very nice pass from Potomak and a very nice move by Piazza for the shorthanded goal.

The Gophers looked pretty good.
                                I do not understand subing Peters at that point. She had a shutout going. I though the first goal was lack of prep but she had just been tossed in there and looked shaky. The second gaol is on the rest of D for the turn over and chase. She had a chance maybe to make a save but the odds are not great snd she should not have needed a miracle if everything eles was right.

But why pull Peters?

Comment

Working...
                                X