Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by IDK View Post
    I gather that Potomak-Pannek-Cameranesi became the top line by the end of the weekend--what were the other lines like? We were out of town and missed this weekend's games.
    take last years lines, move Pannek up to take Brandt's spot, move Piazza to C to take Pannek's, move Reilley up , insert freshmen on 3rd line

in 2012/13 it was systematic for a longer period of time, after the first two games at Colgate, for which Terry & Davis were not available, he'd keep the same lines for 4 games, then swapped a pair of Wings (Bona & Lorence) for 4 games, then swapped Terry for Kortum at C for 4 games (which may have been the plan all along except that Kortum played so well at C against Colgate and subsequent games), then flipped all the wings from one side to the other while at the same time playing Frischman/Lorence/Downey/Garzone at right wing with Terry for 2 games each (I believe because Menefee wasn't playing and thus used Lorence on the top line) each, and then swapped Davis & Terry while keeping the wings the same (ultimately Terry centering Bona & Kortum and Davis centering Lorence & Brausen). The interesting thing was all wings ended up playing the opposite side they started and with a different center. It's almost like he knew what he wanted in the end but wanted to try out other combinations to see if there was something better. I guess when you have a first line that scores like that, you have more time to experiment.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I also thought #14 Sydney Brodt did some great things, especially for a freshman. And needless to say with 74 saves on the weekend Rooney played extremely well in goal for them also.
    Gophers had their hands full trying to stop her
    Last edited by pokechecker; 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I also thought #14 Sydney Brodt did some great things, especially for a freshman. And needless to say with 74 saves on the weekend Rooney played extremely well in goal for them also.
      I remember being really impressed with Rooney when UMD played at Ridder last year--the Gophers ended up scoring a few goals, but she made some phenomenal saves.

Comment

Chicago Mission U16 forward Abbey Murphy will be a Gopher. A 2002 birth year, she will be at Ridder starting in the 2020 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceburg View Post
          Chicago Mission U16 forward Abbey Murphy will be a Gopher. A 2002 birth year, she will be at Ridder starting in the 2020 season.
          As far as I know she is the first announced commit for 2020-21.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

As far as I know she is the first announced commit for 2020-21.
            3rd that I see

Makenna Webster Forward from Shattuck St Mary's U16 commit to Wisconsin listed on Hockey Tech 8/20/16

Sara Boucher Forward from Oakville Hornets Bantam AA commit to Cornell on 9/29/16

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
              3rd that I see

Makenna Webster Forward from Shattuck St Mary's U16 commit to Wisconsin listed on Hockey Tech 8/20/16

Sara Boucher Forward from Oakville Hornets Bantam AA commit to Cornell on 9/29/16
              Sorry, I meant the first 2020-21 to Minnesota.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the first 2020-21 to Minnesota.
                you gotta remember to speak in complete sentences and dot every i and slash every t on this forum, people take everything literally and are incapable of filling in the blanks correctly (usually assuming the worst) gawd forbid you misspell something or miss a period

It seems to me that given the success of past goalies, it could be said any Gopher goalie is questionable until they have won a national championship.
                No?
                I’d be willing to bet the present goalies, and for that matter future goalies, don’t come here to set the save, shutout, or win record, they come here for the opportunity to test and prove themselves in a national championship game. I’m sure D’Angelo and May could have found a school where they could be starting if that were their goal, and Peters wouldn’t have had to sit for three years before getting her chance to be the number one goalie.
                The job of a goalie is simply to give up fewer goals than the opposing goalie. No more, no less. Of course they want to stop them all, but realistically that isn’t going to happen. Dwelling about how many goals, or on who is to blame, and which ones should have been stopped is counterproductive. Successful goalies concentrate on stopping the next one.
                The game Saturday against UMD was Peter’s biggest game to date. Should she have stopped the two goals? It doesn’t matter, what is important is that after falling behind she shut the door and gave the Gophers a chance to win. During overtime she stopped what was thrown at her, you can’t ask for anything more than that. Even the Bemidji loss, after the first goal she shut the door and gave the Gophers a chance to win.
                Last year Leveille looked “questionable” early in the season but in the second half seemed to get sharper as each week passed. It doesn’t matter if you beat Mankato 2-1 or 4-0, or beat UMD 4-3 or 6-0, or even fail to give up fewer goals than the opposition and lose. Given the quality of other goaltenders and skaters, there are likely to be bumps along the way. For a goalie the goal is to make it to the championship game, and ultimately win it. If they do that, how they got there doesn’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  you gotta remember to speak in complete sentences and dot every i and slash every t on this forum, people take everything literally and are incapable of filling in the blanks correctly (usually assuming the worst) gawd forbid you misspell something or miss a period

It seems to me that given the success of past goalies, it could be said any Gopher goalie is questionable until they have won a national championship.
                  No?
                  I’d be willing to bet the present goalies, and for that matter future goalies, don’t come here to set the save, shutout, or win record, they come here for the opportunity to test and prove themselves in a national championship game. I’m sure D’Angelo and May could have found a school where they could be starting if that were their goal, and Peters wouldn’t have had to sit for three years before getting her chance to be the number one goalie.
                  The job of a goalie is simply to give up fewer goals than the opposing goalie. No more, no less. Of course they want to stop them all, but realistically that isn’t going to happen. Dwelling about how many goals, or on who is to blame, and which ones should have been stopped is counterproductive. Successful goalies concentrate on stopping the next one.
                  The game Saturday against UMD was Peter’s biggest game to date. Should she have stopped the two goals? It doesn’t matter, what is important is that after falling behind she shut the door and gave the Gophers a chance to win. During overtime she stopped what was thrown at her, you can’t ask for anything more than that. Even the Bemidji loss, after the first goal she shut the door and gave the Gophers a chance to win.
                  Last year Leveille looked “questionable” early in the season but in the second half seemed to get sharper as each week passed. It doesn’t matter if you beat Mankato 2-1 or 4-0, or beat UMD 4-3 or 6-0, or even fail to give up fewer goals than the opposition and lose. Given the quality of other goaltenders and skaters, there are likely to be bumps along the way. For a goalie the goal is to make it to the championship game, and ultimately win it. If they do that, how they got there doesn’t matter
                  Case in point to what Pokechecker is saying is the WisconSIN goalie last year. Outside of the so called "flu" excuse, one heck of a statistical season that came down to needing to make a save against Sara Potomak and not making it. So when it is all said and done, she had an incredible season with amazing stats but...
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

My 7th grade teacher Miss Searle would have said people that don't cross the t and dot the i are just being lazy.

On the goalie front, I'm sure Peters would say she should have stopped the one puck shot from such a sharp angle. It reminded me of the goal Leveille gave up to Edney of Harvard in the championship game two years ago. On the whole I think Peters has played very well this year and has made some big saves.

Except for maybe a glitch or two I think Kelsey Cline has also played well on defense. It's going to be fun to watch this team grow this year.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Unless I missed it I don't believe anyone has extended their congrats to our Sarah Potomak for being named the league's Offensive Player of the Week. I guess scoring the winning goal in both of the one-goal wins over Minnesota-Duluth was enough!

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201610/oct18wpw.php

Comment

Nadine Muzerall-I think this is her first pregame press meeting:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...102016aaa.html

I'll put it in the Gopher thread since they are playing Minnesota and since it's her first one she's still a little bit in transition!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

I'll put it in the Gopher thread since they are playing Minnesota and since it's her first one she's still a little bit in transition!
                          I do wish that people recording a press conference would manage to get the questions as well as the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            I do wish that people recording a press conference would manage to get the questions as well as the answers.
                            It takes people passing microphones around to do that. It seemed like Muzzy had trouble hearing some of the questions, so there was likely some distance between her (and her microphone) and the media members in attendance. Overall, one could get the crux of most of these questions and I thought it was better than most.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

That is as relaxed as I have ever seen her, I think that is great for her and the team maybe not so great for the Gophers - I'd rather see was up tight about this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                Mark Johnson's pressers are flawless, just as I am sure Frosty's are, though I'll never watch one of his. Muzzy's was interesting. She showed quite a bit of personality. Johnson's usually pretty dry.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X