Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    The Gophers won today despite playing one of the poorest periods (the 3rd) of the season. Yes, hard to get fired up for a team you've dominated forever, and I'm sure they'll be more motivated and play much better next weekend...including in goal.
    It looked like they were already headed back up Hwy 169 for the third period. MSU's second goal was about as soft a goal as a goalie can give up but as we have seen far too often this year, Gopher goaltenders have given those up.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Through four periods this weekend, the Gophers played well but not great. Too many bad turnovers and too much poor defensive zone play that would have been punished by the teams they'll play the rest of the way. It's nice that they've figured out how to score, finally, but that's only half of the issues.

Things went downhill after that. A minute and a half into the second period, MSU's Megan Hinze went down along the boards and was put on a backboard and pulled off of the ice after a lengthy delay. I didn't see what happened, but there weren't any of the reactions you'd have expected if it were the result of a dirty play, so my guess is that it was pretty innocent. That, along with the four goal lead, sucked the intensity out of the game, and it never felt like either team got it back. So, the Gophers did play poorly in the third and deserved to have the lead cut down, but I'm not sure we should make much of that. It doesn't change my opinion that positive things have happened the last couple of weeks and that, while they clearly aren't ready for playoff hockey, they've pulled the chute and arrested the free fall they were in.

I'm really not sure what to make of this team, since, with the exception of Kelly Pannek, it feels like the upperclassmen have been the source of most of the disappointment. Kate Schipper has started scoring, at least. Robinson and Marshall are two of the three most consistent defensemen, though both had some shaky moments today.

Let's see what happens next week against UND before me make any long term plans.

Comment

Just got home from the men's game. Nice to see both Gopher teams score 10 goals this weekend. That was the best the men have played in at least two years at least for a whole weekend.

It was great to see the women come out fast both games and not give up the first goal this weekend, but then the 3rd period was not good. Two soft goals and a defensive breakdown that led to the third. Schipper made a big difference being out there though and Piazza, too.

Nice article about (I almost typed Laura) Emma May in the Pioneer Press today. Goalies are required to be, as Emma admits, "a little weird."
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I'll settle for Cameranesi coming back as a replacement for herself. Someone will complain about that, too, I suppose, even though I've never heard anyone associated with UM say that 21 is done.
          I'd settle for Cameranesi to be back, too. Coach Frost said on the pregame interview with Dan H that she may be back, docs might say 4-6 weeks, but who knows.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-05-2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

The Gophers are better than the Mavericks. I don't think this is much in the way of news, it seems like everyone, including all of the players, already knew this. Someone raise your hand if you are actually surprised by the outcomes of the two games.

Schipper makes a difference, Piazza makes a difference.

Peters was mostly pretty good, giving up only one goal in four periods, that one on a shot to an area that everyone in women's hockey already knows is a weakness for her.

D'Angelo on Friday had one of her better outings but I am not going to make too much out of a 3 save performance.

On Saturday we witnessed what I take to be a pretty definitive end to the Emma May Moment.

The Gophers will play all of the games for the next four weekends in the friendly confines of Ridder Arena. Crunch time has officially arrived.
            Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              A minute and a half into the second period, MSU's Megan Hinze went down along the boards and was put on a backboard and pulled off of the ice after a lengthy delay. I didn't see what happened, but there weren't any of the reactions you'd have expected if it were the result of a dirty play, so my guess is that it was pretty innocent.
              She apparently tripped over/got tangled up with an official.

Comment

Cool, you guys get the distinct pleasure of playing Ms. Meanstreak Kolstad and the literally fighting ladies of sue....please pound the crap out of the sue. They are the top goonsquad and in the league since Miller isn't at UMD anymore. UW will do their best to drop the dawgs to help you stay/get back into in the top 4 nationally.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Kolstad
                  Odd thing about Kolstad, she really doesn't take very many penalties. But for some reason my antenna were up about her before she elbowed Channell (sorry to hear Channell is still not back playing) and took 4 penalties in that game against Wisconsin.

Interesting match-up this weekend against UND. Peters has looked a little calmer since her weekend off. Signs of life from the offense lately, offensive zone passing on Friday was the best of the season IMO, but of course that may have been a mirage.

I'm looking forward to the games and I still have hopes for this team although my confidence in them is a little fragile

Comment

From Iceburg on GPL:
                    "The women pick up their third ninth grade commit in Rochester goaltender Makayla Pahl who plays for the Rochester AA boys bantam team. Her stock really took off at last summers national Select 15 camp."

I know that UMD's Maddie Rooney played on the high school boys team at Andover, MN and that experience has served her quite well (1.53 GAA & .943 SV%, season to date). Hopefully playing with the boys will also help Miss Pahl's eventual transition to D1 women's hockey.

Correction, also from Iceburg on GPL, Miss Pahl is currently a high school sophomore, so she will be an incoming freshman goalie to the U in 2019-20. Article in the Rochester PostBulletin announcing her commitment:
                    http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/h...ign=user-share
                    Last edited by D2D; 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Cool, you guys get the distinct pleasure of playing Ms. Meanstreak Kolstad and the literally fighting ladies of sue....please pound the crap out of the sue. They are the top goonsquad and in the league since Miller isn't at UMD anymore. UW will do their best to drop the dawgs to help you stay/get back into in the top 4 nationally.
                      Sounds like a plan.

Every time I read about the sue I think about the cheap shot on Kelly Terry, but at least she was able to get up and join the celebration. I guess I should let that go.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-05-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        From Iceburg on GPL:
                        "The women pick up their third ninth grade commit in Rochester goaltender Makayla Pahl who plays for the Rochester AA boys bantam team. Her stock really took off at last summers national Select 15 camp."

I know that UMD's Maddie Rooney played on the high school boys team at Andover, MN and that experience has served her quite well (1.53 GAA & .943 SV%, season to date). Hopefully playing with the boys will also help Miss Pahl's eventual transition to D1 women's hockey.
                        I coached Makayla's dad when he was a peewee. He also was a goalie. Good folks. Congrats to her.
                        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Sad new this morning for long time followers of Gopher sports. Legendary radio announcer Ray Christensen passed away yesterday at the age of 92.

http://www.startribune.com/famed-wcc...-92/412883733/

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Sad new this morning for long time followers of Gopher sports. Legendary radio announcer Ray Christensen passed away yesterday at the age of 92.

Sad news for sure. We've had some great radio announcers here, Al Shaver with the North Stars, Ray Scott, Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall with the Twins, but none better than Ray Christensen. I can still hear that distinctive voice of his calling Gopher football and basketball games for so many years.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM. Reason: Last names

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I hope the UM nation accepts my heartfelt condolences on your loss.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I hope the UM nation accepts my heartfelt condolences on your loss.
                                Absolutely, thank you for posting that.

Comment

Working...
                                X