Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Surprised but glad you liked it.
    Why surprised?

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

If you like vintage Rolling Stones also check out "The T.A.M.I. Show" from 1964. Skip to the 1:35:30 mark at the end. Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdZJ7TkJQU
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        If you like vintage Rolling Stones also check out "The T.A.M.I. Show" from 1964. Skip to the 1:35:30 mark at the end. Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdZJ7TkJQU
        Wow, I had never heard of this show, and I'm a fan of old music from that era. The Stones had a very tough act to follow in a young James Brown! Fastest most furious moving feet in show business! Chuck Berry kicks off the show too! This is something else man! You made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Wow, I had never heard of this show, and I'm a fan of old music from that era. The Stones had a very tough act to follow in a young James Brown! Fastest most furious moving feet in show business! Chuck Berry kicks off the show too! This is something else man! You made my day!
          I happen to own the DVD...I was pleasantly surprised to see the full show, in high-def no less, on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I happen to own the DVD...I was pleasantly surprised to see the full show, in high-def no less, on youtube.
            If I'm not mistaken I think I saw this on PBS...Either that or maybe it was on HBO. It really is quite extraordinary for it's video quality and the quality of the performances.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Short comment on the state of the women's program included:

Gophers hockey, basketball and football: the state of the programs
              http://www.startribune.com/gophers-h...ams/417204563/

Comment

Short comment on the state of the women's program included:

Gophers hockey, basketball and football: the state of the programs
                http://www.startribune.com/gophers-h...ams/417204563/
                The short answer to the Big Question on Coach Frost: Yes, he can (with apologies to the late great SD Jr). But without the three P's it would be tough. Of course, without the Badger's big P it would be tough for them, too.

The not quite so short answer to the Big Question on Coach Lucia: Yes, it would be time to consider it in two years when his current contract runs out. I've been a big supporter of Coach Lucia since he first stood behind the Gopher bench in the fall of 1999. He should definitely not be fired. I don't remember ever thinking any Gopher's hockey coach should be fired and I've been following them since Taylor's grandfather was on the freshman team. Well, maybe Ken Yackel should have been fired, but that was because he had played for the Millers and I was a Saints fan. BUT with Lucia, when his current contract expires in two years a coaching change should be strongly considered. Winning 6 league titles in a row is remarkable, but there are 6 teams that would not trade places with the Gophers in those years (BC, Yale, Union, Providence, North Dakota and whoever wins this year). A few years ago I read that Coach Lucia had said it would have been better if there had been a few years between the championships of 2002 and 2003. If they don't win in the next two years it will be 16 years since the last one and it may be time for a change.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM. Reason: The other coach
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  The short answer to the Big Question on Coach Frost: Yes, he can (with apologies to the late great SD Jr). But without the three P's it would be tough. Of course, without the Badger's big P it would be tough for them, too.

The not quite so short answer to the Big Question on Coach Lucia: Yes, it would be time to consider it in two years when his current contract runs out. I've been a big supporter of Coach Lucia since he first stood behind the Gopher bench in the fall of 1999. He should definitely not be fired. I don't remember ever thinking any Gopher's hockey coach should be fired and I've been following them since Taylor's grandfather was on the freshman team. Well, maybe Ken Yackel, but that was because he had played for the Millers. BUT with Lucia, when his current contract expires in two years a coaching change should be strongly considered. Winning 6 league titles in a row is remarkable. A few years ago I read that Coach Lucia had said it would have been better if there had been a few years between the championships of 2002 and 2003. If they don't win in the next two years it will be 16 years since the last one and it may be time for a change.
                  I gave up on Woog because he ran undisciplined teams and that started with him. It was an NCAA game, late in the third with MN up by one (I think, may have been down by one) when they got called for a penalty (legitimate) the mic caught him calling the ref names that USCHO turns into *s - For an extended period until he drew a bench penalty for unsportsmanlike. Woog put the team down 5 on 3. When asked at the presser he claimed he only asked about the time instead of being a stand up guy. He needed to go. When Lucia came in he seemed to end the undisciplined crap. The last few years it seems the boys have decided it is OK to play 3 periods every weekend despite there being 6 periods a weekend. It might be time for Don to go but they just gave him a new contract so it is unlikely.

Comment

Kathleen Ridder obituary.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      What a legacy. R.I.P., Mrs. Ridder, and thank you for all you've done to help make GWH the program it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        My Kathleen Ridder story. About 10 years ago my wife and I were having dinner at Kincaid's restaurant in St Paul. Sitting a few tables away from us was Mrs Ridder. Our waitress was with us and I asked her if she was waiting on Mrs Ridder. She said she was and she was about to go over and collect her bill. I asked her if she would tell Mrs Ridder how much we appreciated everything she has done for the University and especially Gopher women's hockey. The waitress did that and as we watched Mrs Ridder looked over at us and started blowing us kisses. We laughed and she then proceeded to come over to our table. We talked for awhile, mostly about Gopher women's hockey. She said she was so pleased to hear we were members of the Gopher women's power play club. What a delightful, funny, generous person.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          My Kathleen Ridder story. About 10 years ago my wife and I were having dinner at Kincaid's restaurant in St Paul. Sitting a few tables away from us was Mrs Ridder. Our waitress was with us and I asked her if she was waiting on Mrs Ridder. She said she was and she was about to go over and collect her bill. I asked her if she would tell Mrs Ridder how much we appreciated everything she has done for the University and especially Gopher women's hockey. The waitress did that and as we watched Mrs Ridder looked over at us and started blowing us kisses. We laughed and she then proceeded to come over to our table. We talked for awhile, mostly about Gopher women's hockey. She said she was so pleased to hear we were members of the Gopher women's power play club. What a delightful, funny, generous person.
                          Thank you so much for sharing that.

Comment

After watching Worlds, I will not be surprised if Kelly and Sarah make their respective Olympic teams. Add in the fact that GWH graduated three of their top six D and only have two D coming in, and there are some roster decisions to be made. So I wondered if there was a senior-to-be on the UND squad who could come in to fill the void using one of the Olympian’s scholarships for her last year. Surprisingly, there was not one junior on the UND roster this past season. So much for that idea.

Comment

Congrats to Breck School's Grace Zumwinkle on being awarded American Family Insurance ALL USA "Player of the Year". Gopher recruits honored were:

First Team
                              Taylor Heise, Red Wing (2018-19)
                              Madeline Wethington, Blake (2019-20)
                              Grace Zumwinkle, Breck (2017-18)

Second Team
                              Emily Brown, Blaine (2017-18)
                              Taylor Wente, Maple Grove (2018-19)
                              Gracie Ostertag, SSM (2018-19)

http://usatodayhss.com/?p=101176292

Comment

Congrats to Breck School's Grace Zumwinkle on being awarded American Family Insurance ALL USA "Player of the Year". Gopher recruits honored were:

First Team
                                Taylor Heise, Red Wing (2018-19)
                                Madeline Wethington, Blake (2019-20)
                                Grace Zumwinkle, Breck (2017-18)

Second Team
                                Emily Brown, Blaine (2017-18)
                                Taylor Wente, Maple Grove (2017-18)
                                Gracie Ostertag, SSM (2018-19)

http://usatodayhss.com/?p=101176292
                                Minor correction and one addition...

Third Team
                                Emily Oden, Edina (2018-19)

Comment

Working...
                                X