Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Mark Johnson's pressers are flawless, just as I am sure Frosty's are, though I'll never watch one of his. Muzzy's was interesting. She showed quite a bit of personality. Johnson's usually pretty dry.
    Mark Johnson really IS dry in his press conferences. But I remember season before last just before he went to Lake Placid or just after he returned from an '80 Olympic team reunion lot of that dryness went away. He got really energized and animated (by MJ standards) as he was talking about it. I thought it was really cool to see!

Comment

Go Gophs!

Comment

Can anyone remember what it's like to score first?

Comment

Warning: USCHO schedule says today's game starts at 5:07 CT, but it really starts at 2:07 CT

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            Can anyone remember what it's like to score first?
            I have heard rumors that it isn't always necessary to score goals late in the third in order to win
            The WCHA is becoming an unwelcoming place - no doormats!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              Mark Johnson really IS dry in his press conferences. But I remember season before last just before he went to Lake Placid or just after he returned from an '80 Olympic team reunion lot of that dryness went away. He got really energized and animated (by MJ standards) as he was talking about it. I thought it was really cool to see!
              I have to imagine he's more animated with the players in private. I have seen him get animated with refs between periods or before games, but it's a stern 1 way conversation.

I have this weird feeling that I want you guys to bury OSU today. The big dogs need to keep the doormats on the floor.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                The big dogs need to keep the doormats on the floor.
                Might be too late; the dogs from Duluth seem to have already gotten up off the floor.

Personally I welcome more parity, as long as the Gophers manage to keep winning the close ones!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Another 1 goal game. Still have a lot of work to do. It would be nice to not give up the first goal in a game.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Another 1 goal game. Still have a lot of work to do. It would be nice to not give up the first goal in a game.
                    And it would be nice to get more balanced offensive production. Without the Pannek-Potomak combination our record to date would not be nearly what it is. Getting plenty of shots - well over 50 today - but having a very hard time putting the puck in the net. As you say they have work to do.

Comment

57 shots and only two goals? I have to wonder if that's accurate. I mean how do they count shots, are they quite liberal?

Comment

Ohio State scored on their 5th SOG yesterday. That might be the highest number since Lindenwood.
                        The freshmen are looking good. For early in their first season, Agnew and Woken look solid to me and like they will be able to score their share this season. Patti Marshall has been given a lot of responsibility early and is off to a good start.
                        13 of 24 goals by the first line and 18 of 43 assists.
                        It'll be nice when the second line gets untracked and starts making more of a contribution offensively.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          the good news there is that they are winning these close games and coming from behind for the most part , unlike their mama'a boy brothers over at Mariucci

I cannot ever recall a Gopher getting 4 game winners in a row, that's nice but somebody else has to step up and put the biscuit in the basket when the game is on the line

Comment

Plan B after the first line hasn't really materialized. At least the makeup of that top line seems pretty evident, and that wasn't the case a few weeks ago. Beyond that, it might be time to mix things up even if eventually they wind up coming back to what they have now just in the hopes of getting someone else going. After the first line, four of the next five in scoring are defensemen, and it isn't like the reason is that the blue line is lighting it up. I would ordinarily say that Reilly might be the one to try moving, except she's fourth among the forwards in points.

One option would be to try Schammel at wing in the hope of getting her going. The third line w/ Williams at times hints at taking off, and it has to be harder for them to do so with the constant juggling. Maybe give it one or two more games and then try some other rotation. And I realize that the rotation was slightly different in Columbus, but the main three lines really weren't.

Hopefully, someone else will find her touch in the next couple of series, because I don't remember the last time we were 8 games into the season having held a lead for as few minutes as we have so far. The game becomes a lot harder when you get outscored in the opening 20 minutes.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              And it would be nice to get more balanced offensive production. Without the Pannek-Potomak combination our record to date would not be nearly what it is. Getting plenty of shots - well over 50 today - but having a very hard time putting the puck in the net. As you say they have work to do.
                              I couldn't agree more, but, the 2005 Gopher teams first line scored 70% (if my Harding math is correct) of the goals scored by all forwards and still won 36 games. Now I realize as someone from out east pointed out to me last year you can't really compare teams today to teams from prior decades, but at least at one time it was possible to win with one big line.

Put me down on the side of a balanced attack as being a much better way to go though.
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                Put me down on the side of a balanced attack as being a much better way to go though.
                                Of course the possible downside with going to a more "balanced attack" is that you are then left with none of the lines being able to generate consistent offensive production. Then again, if you leave the "stacked first line" as is you run the risk of less team production should opponents learn ways and gear up to neutralize that top line. And if they're successful in doing just that, then where is reliable goal production going to come from?

Needless to say, the coaching staff is busy at work figuring these things out, as they obviously know way more than us weekend fans who don't watch all of the experimentation that goes on between games.

Comment

Working...
                                X