Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I'll just sit back and watch. The Clarkson fans on here have always conducted themselves with class, so I'm not going to root against them. May the better team on Sunday win.
    On that I can agree...Still would rather see a WCHA team win the title for the east/west thing.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Gophers women's hockey team takes aim at 2018 NCAA title game
      http://www.startribune.com/gophers-w...ame/416525173/

Who's coming, going on Gophers women's hockey team

http://www.startribune.com/who-s-com...eam/416525163/
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Interesting that they went ahead and listed Zumwinkle as a defenseman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          OTOH Frost is not known for playing a person at the position listed on the roster every game.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            OTOH Frost is not known for playing a person at the position listed on the roster every game.
            IIRC in the last U18 series Zumwinkle played the point on the power play. I do think the Gophs could use another player on the blueline who can really shoot the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              Zoom boom could play the point on the power play...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                IIRC in the last U18 series Zumwinkle played the point on the power play. I do think the Gophs could use another player on the blueline who can really shoot the puck.
                Oh, I am not saying anything else, just that simply because she is listed as D does not mean she will always (or ever) play there. I deff want to see her on the point & think she could be a wing on the kill.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  Oh, I am not saying anything else, just that simply because she is listed as D does not mean she will always (or ever) play there.
                  Agreed, my first thought was that the Strib writer may have gotten it wrong.

Also, with Johnson having coached the U18's and putting her on the point for power plays, he's definitely aware of what she can do back there.

Comment

Originally posted by d2d View Post
                    i i do think the gophs could use another player on the blueline who can really shoot the puck.

Comment

Agreed, my first thought was that the Strib writer may have gotten it wrong.

Also, with Johnson having coached the U18's and putting her on the point for power plays, he's definitely aware of what she can do back there.
                      I have not seen her play D but you are right, Joel has. I *think* we can trust his opinion. Given that they love to have D rush the puck she would still get plenty of chances. Plus . . . yeah . . . that boomer from the blue line is going to leave a lot of bruises as well as scoring a bunch.

Comment

Gophers officially ended the season with their opponents scoring at a higher percentage than the Gophs did

Next season I'd love to see them reestablish the Gophers tradition "Shoot To Score"

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          Gophers officially ended the season with their opponents scoring at a higher percentage than the Gophs did

Next season I'd love to see them reestablish the Gophers tradition "Shoot To Score"
                          If the winner of hockey games was determined merely by which team possesses the puck more, it's very likely the Gophers would have had no equal. At least on the offensive side of the ledger, I would agree that shooting (including the failure to capitalize on Grade A chances) was Minnesota's biggest weakness.

I do hope all of the returning players work hard to improve their arm and wrist strength - plus their shooting accuracy - during the off-season. I think doing so would pay big dividends next season.

Comment

A big opportunity for this team is to get lines 2+ scoring at a higher rate. The team was too dependent on the top line and that limited its effectiveness.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Thanks for the link. I usually don't buy the Strib unless one of the Gopher hockey teams wins the NCAA championship. Didn't buy a Strib this year, so far.

I do want to compliment the Pioneer Press on their coverage of the Gopher women's hockey team this season. Although not a lot of articles there was an excellent one early in the year on Nadine Muzerall by Dane Mizutani and also one by Emily Polgaze entitled, "New talents take the ice at U." Nathan Wells coverage of the games was very good and he too wrote an excellent article, that one on Taylor Williamson. Even the "news service reports" of the games were generally good.

The St Paul paper has come a long way since the infamous article of 10/1/14 on Lee Stecklein with a supposed picture of her in her US Olympic jersey, except it was Hilary Knight in the picture. Don't think they bothered with a notice of correction in the next days paper.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-23-2017, 03:18 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

At least on the offensive side of the ledger, I would agree that shooting (including the failure to capitalize on Grade A chances) was Minnesota's biggest weakness.
                                You did include the disclaimer about it being the biggest offensive weakness, but I've got to look at the other end of the ice. Not saying it all falls on the goaltender, but the next time we win a national championship with a starting goalie who stops less than 92% of the shots will be a first.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X