Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

The mysterious Gopher "A game"...certainly has been in hiatus at various times this year.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      The Goohers are either unlucky to be down 1-0 after a period, or really lucky to only bedown by a goal. They had 3-4 great chances that could have gone in, but spent most of the period not moving their feet and getting outhustled.
      BSU played as if their season was over if they lost. UM played as if they were saving something for tomorrow. The refs played as if they get double time for SUnday.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        The refs played as if they get double time for SUnday.
        I made that same comment after the 3rd straight penalty called against the Gophers in the 2nd period. After the 4th there was really nothing left to say. I did not see any envelopes exchanged with the coaches and the refs when they shook hands at the end of the game, so that's good. Must be just double time tomorrow like you suggest.
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          You could say that this was a whole team failure and it was...But cheese and rice, that was a really bad goal to lose a game on.
          Meh. It was a soft goal, but so was Wolfe's performance on that play. Anyone who blames Peters for this loss wasn't really watching. There was far too much standing around. The effort in transition defense, from both the forwards and the defensemen, was woefully lacking. Bemidji played a very good game, but they had a lot of help.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            I made that same comment after the 3rd straight penalty called against the Gophers in the 2nd period. After the 4th there was really nothing left to say. I did not see any envelopes exchanged with the coaches and the refs when they shook hands at the end of the game, so that's good. Must be just double time tomorrow like you suggest.
            Again, meh. Your team's performance should meet a certain minimal level before you start going after the competence of anyone else.

FWIW, I didn't have a problem with any of the calls against the Gophers; the penalties were all both obvious and stupid. I apparently wasn't alone in that assessment, since Taylor Williamson spent the third period nailed to the bench.
            Last edited by Eeyore; 02-25-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
              I don't know what you're complaining about. MN scored their only goal shorthanded - maybe they should have taken more penalties. Seriously, they had 52 minutes of full strength hockey to score one goal. Refereeing didn't lose this game.

Comment

Again, meh. Your team's performance should meet a certain minimal level before you start going after the competence of anyone else.
                I was really bummed and irked with the Gophers performance today. I thought they came out expecting to beat the Beavers just by showing up. And then when the Beavers made them play it was like they were put out by it.

First time we've lost a first round game. 2009-10 it took three overtimes to beat MSU-Mankato in the second game.

Pretty disappointing after we'd really turned the corner the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  I don't know what you're complaining about. MN scored their only goal shorthanded - maybe they should have taken more penalties. Seriously, they had 52 minutes of full strength hockey to score one goal. Refereeing didn't lose this game.
                  I don't see anyone saying they did. This loss was a whole team effort. BSU decided to play their hearts out & deserved the win. UM didn't and deserved the loss. The referees decided only one team committed penalties which was inexplicable give the the way the game was played. Both teams needed to sit more players for 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    I don't see anyone saying they did. This loss was a whole team effort. BSU decided to play their hearts out & deserved the win. UM didn't and deserved the loss. The referees decided only one team committed penalties which was inexplicable give the the way the game was played. Both teams needed to sit more players for 2 minutes.
                    Yes.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

What I found strange wasn't so much the penalty calls, but that there were two instances today of something I've noticed a number of times this year: icing not being waved off despite the sound of the puck being tipped being clearly audible from my seat.

Comment

Anyone who blames Peters for this loss wasn't really watching.
                        I'm not sure that I can find anyone who stepped out on the ice wearing a gold jersey blameless, nor the coaches either. There was plenty of subpar to go around. It's nice to sit a kid down for undisciplined play, but there were opportunities to have done so far earlier in the year. At least she was working hard throughout. A real problem, as it has been for much of the year, is what this team got (or didn't) from a number of its upperclassmen.

IMO, the critical play came in the first period when the Bemidji State first line scored against the Minnesota third line, while one of the Gophers D got caught in between covering nobody while the eventual goal scorer was alone in front. Once that puck went in, this was always going to be a difficult game.

This isn't the first time that the check mark for coaching would have gone to the guy coaching the green team. The down years always seem to involve wholesale line juggling to the bitter end.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I believe that competition rules require that a team have two goaltenders dressed for games. For both of the games so far this weekend, for the first time that I can remember, the Gophers have had only two goaltenders dressed.

The box score for yesterday's game at CollegeHockeyStats lists as a third G, 17-Sierra Smith (DNP). I assume this means that if Peters had been injured and unable to continue that Smith would have donned someone's goalie tools and sat on the bench to fulfill the requirement that a team have two dressed.

I wonder if she is any good.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                            I believe that competition rules require that a team have two goaltenders dressed for games. For both of the games so far this weekend, for the first time that I can remember, the Gophers have had only two goaltenders dressed.

The box score for yesterday's game at CollegeHockeyStats lists as a third G, 17-Sierra Smith (DNP). I assume this means that if Peters had been injured and unable to continue that Smith would have donned someone's goalie tools and sat on the bench to fulfill the requirement that a team have two dressed.

I don't think May was dressed in St. Cloud after starting both games versus OSU. We've had skaters like Stacy Troumbly and Jerilyn Glenn dressed as the 2nd goalie back in the days when we only had two and one was out.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

May was dressed and on the bench yesterday. I have no idea why Smith was dressed as a thurd goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

17 was on the bench in full turnout. Stuff did not fit well in that sweater. She was not out for warm ups yesterday or today.
                                Last edited by ne7minder; 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X