Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

So who is everyone voting for? I'm sure we have a pretty good idea on who will vote for who anyway.

Unless something changes my mind, I will vote for Johnson/Weld.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      So who is everyone voting for? I'm sure we have a pretty good idea on who will vote for who anyway.

Hillary. I don't have a death wish.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I'll make this a poll.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I'll make this a poll.
          Yes! Soon the campaigns will be citing it and building their strategies around it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            He says he isn't, but I believe his hatred of Hillary is so great that he will vote for Trump as a 'lesser of two evils' and will be afraid to 'throw away his vote' by going 3rd party. He's just too embarrassed to admit it I guess.
            There you go again...
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

July USCHO Poll, for the critical overweight elderly white male alcoholic alone always alone college hockey fan electorate.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                That's not really an apt analogy. To make it work, we'd need to reframe it:
                This cat is going to go into either a blender or a microwave. You can help decide which, but make no mistake, it IS going to go into one of them.

(for what it's worth, while I can see Trump as either the microwave or blender in this scenario, I don't see Clinton as one....more like locking it in a room with nothing but food and water.)
                I think your analogy is a lot better than Brent's. However, even using your analogy, I'm not voting for either. I can help decide??? No, I'm not going to participate in that decision. You guys want to put one of these two in the WH, so be it. I recognize its going to happen because there are way more people who are going to vote for major party candidates than any third party candidate.

But I'm not going to do it. That's how I sleep at night.

And actually, I win. Because whichever candidate of these two ends up winning, there will be an endless stream of nonsense that's going to result. And I get to say "I told you so."
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  And actually, I win. Because whichever candidate of these two ends up winning, there will be an endless stream of nonsense that's going to result. And I get to say "I told you so."
                  Actually, you don't. If you pick one then you win if the other one wins, because then you can say "I voted against him/her." But by not voting you're giving up any chance to have helped, so you don't get to say squat.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I think your analogy is a lot better than Brent's. However, even using your analogy, I'm not voting for either. I can help decide??? No, I'm not going to participate in that decision. You guys want to put one of these two in the WH, so be it. I recognize its going to happen because there are way more people who are going to vote for major party candidates than any third party candidate.

But I'm not going to do it. That's how I sleep at night.

The question is, what catastrophe will you be saying "I told you so" about? Are all harms the same in that they all give you that opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Hillary. I don't have a death wish.
                      ditto

I'm not only voting for Hillary, but I'm voting for the Democratic platform -- which Bernie has been able to influence. All the Bernie or Bust people need to realize that it's a process and Bernie has pushed the conversation much farther to the left and I'm grateful that he ran on these issues. They can do a lot more good by trying to influence the Democratic party rather than abandoning it when they didn't get their way.

It comes down to which candidate (and which party) I trust to make court appointments, fill cabinet positions, etc. Gary Johnson would be far far FAR preferable to Trump but 1) he isn't going to win, and 2) I disagree with him deeply on several important issues.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        The question is, what catastrophe will you be saying "I told you so" about? Are all harms the same in that they all give you that opportunity?
                        Risk = (Probability of event) x (Severity of event). Severity is itself a function of numerous probabilities of contingent events and their severities.

IMO, the worst case contingent events under Trump overwhelm the whole calculation, much in the way "go to the fridge for a coke" vs "disable all the fire alarms in your home" is an obvious choice of relative risk.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          ditto

I'm not only voting for Hillary, but I'm voting for the Democratic platform -- which Bernie has been able to influence. All the Bernie or Bust people need to realize that it's a process and Bernie has pushed the conversation much farther to the left and I'm grateful that he ran on these issues. They can do a lot more good by trying to influence the Democratic party rather than abandoning it when they didn't get their way.

It comes down to which candidate (and which party) I trust to make court appointments, fill cabinet positions, etc. Gary Johnson would be far far FAR preferable to Trump but 1) he isn't going to win, and 2) I disagree with him deeply on several important issues.
                          Precisely so.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I could be wrong, but I do not get the impression that joecct is voting for Trump.

In fact I don't know if there is a single regular poster on the cafe planning to vote for Trump. They are anti-Hillary but they seem to be either 'Johnson Curious' or 'Sit This Stinker Out,' both of which I get.

It's not that hard to imagine Trump running as a Democrat (after all, he is about Trump and nothing else, and he was a Democrat for his whole life right up until he got the idea to start running these campaigns to sell his books). If this election had been Trump (D) v Jeb! (R), I would have either voted Libertarian, Green or sat it out. So I completely understand where conservatives are coming from. Their criticism of Hillary may be either right or wrong on the merits, but in neither instance does it signal they intend to vote for the Apricot Authoritarian.
                            Its not about whether joe is voting for Drumpf (though I think if push came to shove he would) but his posts are straight from the Echo Chamber you so lovingly mock. Half the time he doesnt even change the wording it just matches up completely with the dreck in the average newsfeed on Facebook. (with an added Religiosity)
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think the Dem convention is definitely making clear the choice in front of you. Yes there's always going to be a handful of sanctimonious individuals who think voting 3rd party makes them a martyr or some similar nonsense. But, everyone else is coming around.

On that note, I haven't had to admit I was wrong since....well....hmmm....anyway, I was concerned Sanders himself was going to go Bernie or Bust. I'm happy to say I was wrong about that and he turned out to be a stand up guy who did the right thing at the right time. You can't quibble over disputes in the heat of the campaign if the candidates unite after the contest is over. I'm more than happy to have Hillary win the present and Bernie win the future if that's how it shakes out.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Johnson unless Minnesota is in play. (it isnt)
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X