Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

538 bounce hasn't stopped yet, and the polls haven't even digested Khan yet.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XV: Before & After: Dancing in the Streets of Philadelphia!

The Reviews Are In: Conservatives Say The DNC Was 'Disaster' For The GOP

After the GOP nominee lambasted the Democrats on Twitter for displaying what he viewed as too few American flags, there was a sea of waving flags as far as the eye could see when Hillary Clinton became the first woman to accept a major party's nomination on Thursday.

A small faction of protesters chanting "no more war" as General John Allen spoke were quickly drowned out by chants of "USA!" filling the Philadelphia arena. The most notable refrain from the RNC crowd last week: "Lock her up."

The evening also hammered home the stark tonal difference between the two conventions. After Trump painted America as a downcast country in need of a billionaire savior, night after night of all-star DNC speakers preached a sermon of American exceptionalism, with values that unify us all – talking points once exclusively owned by Republicans.

It was enough to give a lot of conservatives whiplash.
      Conservative writer Ron Fournier:

Well done, @realDonaldTrump. You made Democrats a party of sunny patriotism and values.

You sure @billclinton didn't ask you to run?

— Ron Fournier (@ron_fournier) July 29, 2016

National Review editor Jonah Goldberg:

Why this convention is better: It's about loving America. GOP convention was about loving Trump. If you didn't love Trump, it offered nada.

— Jonah Goldberg (@JonahNRO) July 29, 2016

John Podhoretz, former Ronald Reagan speech writer and Commentary editor:

Take about five paragraphs out of that Obama speech and it could have been a Reagan speech. Trust me. I know.

— John Podhoretz (@jpodhoretz) July 28, 2016

Fox News host Greg Gutfeld:

if repubs had championed their principles with specifics rather than embrace autocracy - they wouldn't have yielded this turf to dems.

— GregGutfeld (@greggutfeld) July 29, 2016

Conservative blogger Erick Erickson:

For Republicans who are not social conservatives, I have to imagine last night and tonight at the DNC are having an impact on them.

— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) July 29, 2016

Conservative Iowa radio host Steve Deace:

So most of conservative media and the GOP spent the week rooting for Russia, and now the Democrats get to rally around the flag.

Dreadful.

— Steve Deace (@SteveDeaceShow) July 29, 2016

Conservative Wisconsin radio host Charlie Sykes:

Snark aside: GOP needs to understand what is happening to them tonight…

— Charlie Sykes (@SykesCharlie) July 29, 2016

Do you know how old I am? Old enough to remember when speeches like this would've been given at GOP convention… Not Dem one. Brutal.

— Charlie Sykes (@SykesCharlie) July 29, 2016

Rich Galen, press secretary for Dick Cheney:

How can it be that I am standing at my kitchen counter sobbing because of the messages being driven at the DNC? Where has the GOP gone?

— Rich Galen (@richgalen) July 29, 2016

Conservative ops veteran Matt Mackowiak

This Democratic convention has been an unmitigated disaster for the GOP. Very well produced. Unifying. Patriotic. Bravo.#DNCinPHL

— Matt Mackowiak (@MattMackowiak) July 29, 2016

Amanda Carpenter, former spokeswoman for Sen. Ted Cruz:

I am sure hearing a lot more about God and faith at the DNC than the RNC.

— Amanda Carpenter (@amandacarpenter) July 28, 2016

Conservative blogger AGConservative:

Still stunned. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Obama just defended America & conservative values from attacks by the Republican nominee.

— (((AG))) (@AG_Conservative) July 28, 2016

Commentary editor Noah Rothman:

Republicans could have stopped all this.

— Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) July 29, 2016

Daily Caller Writer Jamie Weinstein:

Now an immigrant medal of honor winner? If the goal is to reach independents and conservatives uneasy w/ Trump, well done Democrats

— Jamie Weinstein (@Jamie_Weinstein) July 29, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        538 bounce hasn't stopped yet, and the polls haven't even digested Khan yet.
        Just hopped in to post that exact link. It had been at roughly 50% to even favoring Trump at various points last week and into yesterday, depending on which of the three projections you were looking at.

Glad to see a noticeable and measurable impact on their projections (which have fared well throughout recent elections). I think more people are starting to see Trump for what he is.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Just hopped in to post that exact link. It had been at roughly 50% to even favoring Trump at various points last week and into yesterday, depending on which of the three projections you were looking at.

Glad to see a noticeable and measurable impact on their projections (which have fared well throughout recent elections). I think more people are starting to see Trump for what he is.
          Scooby says it isn't true and doesn't matter do forget about it
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Who cares about these campaign staffers no one has heard of getting their 15 minutes of ad copy by announcing they're voting for the Shrill? They are all just rats fleeing a sinking ship. They care about themselves, not Hillary, or the Democrats, or any actual political principles.
            Which political principles would those be? Bullying, bigotry and racism?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Scooby says it isn't true and doesn't matter do forget about it
              Until the election is over and the Senate and the Presidency are in logical people's hands I will not sit back and assume anything is over.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                Lived and worked in PA years ago, including during the 2000 election. Did some campaign work while I was there. What James Carville said about it years ago remains true today, it's Philadelphia in the East, Pittsburgh in the West, and Alabama everywhere else. The number of rebel flags there 15 years ago was shocking. As more and more race baiters have come out of the woodwork in the wake of 8 years of Barack Obama, it's worse now. It's also one of the oldest states in the country, on average. When I live there the average age was the second oldest in the country and it has only gotten slightly younger in comparison since then, with now 5 states on average older.

Two things will worry me until the morning after election day. One, the Republican voter's tendency to support the R in front of the name more rigidly than the typical Democratic voter. And two, racist idiots did not have one of their own running as a major party candidate in any recent presidential election. The party as a whole tacitly uses racial codewords and themes to scare people into voting for them but I do not believe that Romney or McCain are racist of bigoted. Now the standard bearer in the Republican party is a fascist and a racist. Far too many Republicans will vote for Trump simply because he's the party's nominee, and this is the major party candidate members of the KKK, neo-Nazi parties and every other radical white supremacist group out there have been waiting their whole lives for.
                My fraternity in college had a chapter in Latrobe. We went there for our annual convention. The first night we got in we were looking for somewhere to have dinner and a beer or two. We eventually settled on Buffalo Wild Wings. We got in about 9:30, ate, and left about 10:30. On the way out we saw that the booth next to us had two people with an open Bible between them. At a bar. At 10:30. On a Thursday.

This was after a sports "lounge" turned away one of us for the fashion faux pas of...wearing a baseball cap.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Until the election is over and the Senate and the Presidency are in logical people's hands I will not sit back and assume anything is over.
                  So... Jan 2025 at the earliest?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

A Trump spokeswoman went on Wolf Blitzer's show and boldly claimed that "Obama and Clinton's policies [from 2009] probably caused Humayun Khan's death."

(Hint: Humayan Khan. Born: September 9, 1976, United Arab Emirates; Died: June 8, 2004, Baqubah, Iraq)
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Trump hit a nerve w/Americans and politics. Did he do it the right way? Hell no. BUT, he woke a LOT of people up. To quote Batman: Is he the "hero" we wanted? No. But he may be the "hero" we need.

Note: I use "hero" just to fit the quote in. I would prefer "loud-mouthed ignoramus," but the result is the same.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

How can one be "woken up" and delusional at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          How can one be "woken up" and delusional at the same time?
                          We find out who the delusional ones are, AND we find out who is ready to speak up and confront them.

Edit: the biggest issue that I've heard from my minority friends over the years, is that race issues (specifically personal views on racism/etc) have been hidden. They don't know who is racist, since people are afraid to express their views. People sure are talking now....
                          Last edited by The Rube; 08-02-2016, 10:22 PM.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Edit: yup.

Owned by MediaDC, a subsidiary of Clarity Media Group, itself a subsidiary of The Anschutz Corporation. Anchutz himself is a billionaire, co-founder of the MLS, and has the usual lunatic Corporatist-Christian agenda. Sort of a cut rate Koch.
                            Uncle Phil may be a crazy, whackadoodle kook but he's basically the reason why MLS still exists and US Soccer is any good. Dude owned 6 of the teams at one point.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              A Trump spokeswoman went on Wolf Blitzer's show and boldly claimed that "Obama and Clinton's policies [from 2009] probably caused Humayun Khan's death."

(Hint: Humayan Khan. Born: September 9, 1976, United Arab Emirates; Died: June 8, 2004, Baqubah, Iraq)
                              Doesn't matter to Trump's fans. First of all, Khan was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name, so they don't really care that he died. Secondly, he was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name so he may have been a terrorist. And finally, he was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name, and that's the only thing Trump fans give a 5h1t about.

Kepler keeps pointing out that a good portion of Trump supporters are old white men. While this is true, it doesn't mean that it's just a matter of time before people who support someone like Trump will eventually all die off. Women without a high school education in this country have a birth rate almost twice as high as those with a 4-year degree. The saving grace is that studies show that high school dropouts turn out for elections at half the rate of people who have at least some college and only a third as much as those with post-graduate degrees. So that's what we're left to hope for in terms of preventing people like Trump from becoming president, that most stupid people stay home on election day and the educated continue to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                Doesn't matter to Trump's fans. First of all, Khan was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name, so they don't really care that he died. Secondly, he was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name so he may have been a terrorist. And finally, he was brown skinned and had a foreign sounding name, and that's the only thing Trump fans give a 5h1t about.

Kepler keeps pointing out that a good portion of Trump supporters are old white men. While this is true, it doesn't mean that it's just a matter of time before people who support someone like Trump will eventually all die off. Women without a high school education in this country have a birth rate almost twice as high as those with a 4-year degree. The saving grace is that studies show that high school dropouts turn out for elections at half the rate of people who have at least some college and only a third as much as those with post-graduate degrees. So that's what we're left to hope for in terms of preventing people like Trump from becoming president, that most stupid people stay home on election day and the educated continue to vote.
                                Make sure you clarify between Trump's fans and conservatives, whether hard-core or moderate. I do ask that. You did well this time, but others haven't in the past.....

Comment

Working...
                                X