Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Applies to the NCHC

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Might. You have to ask yourself how the NCHC can accept ASU without a rink or even a plan for as rink.
    Might possibly be the reason that, contrary to Adam Wodon's reporting, the deal with ASU has not been made?

The other thing that I noted is that the NCHC's response was pretty non-committal regarding Mankato's application. Certainly no indication that the application was sought or encouraged by the NCHC. My guess is that Hastings saw an opportunity with the rumored ASU-NCHC connection and took it. Whether the NCHC would choose Mankato, another school, or even do a deal with ASU is still pretty much up in the air. My prediction is that if/when ASU inks a deal, the NCHC will then look to Mankato, Bowling Green, or anyone else who wants to apply and figure out who makes the best fit (or pays the most money?)
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This doesn't surprise me. Disappoint me, yes.

Also, I love how the expenses of the women's programs are absorbed by the WCHA, while the men's programs run off to chase the dollar from the NCHC. If MSU-M is accepted, the lone remaining all WCHA school is Bemidji state.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        This doesn't surprise me. Disappoint me, yes.

Also, I love how the expenses of the women's programs are absorbed by the WCHA, while the men's programs run off to chase the dollar from the NCHC. If MSU-M is accepted, the lone remaining all WCHA school is Bemidji state.
        I am curious how those finances work out...
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Might possibly be the reason that, contrary to Adam Wodon's reporting, the deal with ASU has not been made?

The other thing that I noted is that the NCHC's response was pretty non-committal regarding Mankato's application. Certainly no indication that the application was sought or encouraged by the NCHC. My guess is that Hastings saw an opportunity with the rumored ASU-NCHC connection and took it. Whether the NCHC would choose Mankato, another school, or even do a deal with ASU is still pretty much up in the air. My prediction is that if/when ASU inks a deal, the NCHC will then look to Mankato, Bowling Green, or anyone else who wants to apply and figure out who makes the best fit (or pays the most money?)
          Do you have hard information saying that the NCHC has not made up its mind?
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Again, BSU should be fine. Sure there's a feeling that all the other MN teams are elsewhere. But I would imagine that BSU will still schedule UMD, SCSU, U MN, MSU and UND. I'm not sure how tough of a schedule the school really wants. The key for BSU is to keep its coaching, recruiting and facilities top notch. Having all the good schools on the schedule but participating in a less than overwhelming WCHA league...the school could do well for itself.
            BSU will struggle with this. Travel is already straining the budget and this would mean they lose their closest conference road trip (Michigan Tech would be the new closest at seven hours). Granted it is only one weekend a year, but that will inevitably be replaced by a longer conference road trip since the WCHA has an unbalanced schedule.

Yes, it removes one of the "top dogs" in the WCHA from a competition standpoint, but if budget numbers don't line up, the school will have some serious number crunching to do. Sure, it leaves a lot of close non-conference opponents, but that is only four weekends a year. Right now, one of those is ate up by the North Star Cup, so at most, BSU would probably see two home non-conference series a year. UND and U MN are the only two schools that fill the Sanford Center when they come to town, so unless it is one of those two, the fact the MSU-M would be a possible non-conference opponent doesn't help the budget.
            Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 07-14-2016, 10:39 AM.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Just the statement released by the NCHC, which says, basically, "we responded to an inquiry by Minnesota State, Mankato, but like with all such inquiries we look to see what is best for our current programs. The manner of assessing inquiries will be our focus in the future, regardless of where they come from."

Doesn't really sound like they've made any decisions.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Just the statement released by the NCHC, which says, basically, "we responded to an inquiry by Minnesota State, Mankato, but like with all such inquiries we look to see what is best for our current programs. The manner of assessing inquiries will be our focus in the future, regardless of where they come from."

Doesn't really sound like they've made any decisions.
                No it actually doesn't. I would imagine the program is pretty close with SCSU and UMD and understands the situation pretty well.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

No hard info, but the athletic directors didn't make any decisions in April when they met. They'll be together again in August to discuss things.

As mentioned, the lack of a rink for ASU is a major piece of why nothing has been decided. The NCHC isn't inviting people to join. They've received applications for schools but haven't committed to anything. Surprisingly, BG has been pretty quiet and hasn't discussed things with the conference much.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I totally disagree with that. I also disagree about the clutch and grab. It's not just the WCHa that does that, and you are going to find that out very quickly.
                    I think no one gives two ***** about Bemidji of course, and this is about making the costs lower,everyone understands that, but it does hurt the rest of the league.. Attendance won't be any better really and certainly getting a national bid and the cachet that goes with that... well...
                    Of course it is not just the WCHA that does that...although in the NCHC the only team that does that constantly is WMU. WCHA is getting a reputation for having many teams that lack scoring depth that have to play that style to win games.

I don't give two ****s about Bemidji and neither do MSU fans when it comes to seeing many WCHA teams. They'll draw much better with UMD, UNO, UND and SCSU all within a 6 hour drive.

This will make it easier for MSU to make the NCAA tournament in the NCHC as there is a greater room for error with how strong the conference has been in the PWR.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Davenport's letter to Fenton, from the GF Herald.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        I miss the old Final Five and everyone there hating on the rodents, but good riddance. It's fun watching Minnesota be irrelevant for a change.
                        I'd love to have UMinn and UND in the same conference again. Not gonna happen, but it was sure fun when we had it.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          It wasn't PSU's fault. It was the misconception that the B1G was going to change the landscape of college hockey.
                          I didn't say it was PSU's fault. And how is that a misconception? The Big 14 did change the landscape of D-1.
                          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                            I didn't say it was PSU's fault. And how is that a misconception? The Big 14 did change the landscape of D-1.
                            The reaction (NCHC) changed the landscape.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              The reaction (NCHC) changed the landscape.
                              All for the better... The NCHC teams did what was best for them and BTW, the conference isn't doing too bad for itself. The founding schools of the NCHC look pretty smart right now to everyone except the schools who didn't get a date to the prom. You don't get stepped on when you are on top.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                All for the better... The NCHC teams did what was best for them and BTW, the conference isn't doing too bad for itself. The founding schools of the NCHC look pretty smart right now to everyone except the schools who didn't get a date to the prom. You don't get stepped on when you are on top.
                                If no NCHC
                                WCHA
                                UAA
                                DU
                                CC
                                BSU
                                UND
                                MSU-M
                                SCSU
                                UMD
                                MTU
                                UNO

CCHA
                                BGSU
                                WMU
                                FSSU
                                NMU
                                LSSU
                                AK
                                Miami
                                ND

Independent
                                UAH

Rearrange a few deck chairs and you get two travel reasonable leagues.
                                Last edited by joecct; 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X