Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    The Bobcats are going to crush us tomorrow.
    The Bobcats only beat Dartmouth by one goal tonight; is Harvard worse than Dartmouth?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      The Bobcats only beat Dartmouth by one goal tonight; is Harvard worse than Dartmouth?
      We actually beat Dartmouth up there 5-1. And perhaps I was overstating my frustration with the team. But there is no hiding from the numbers and it was ugly last night. I'm expecting a better effort today but we aren't playing as a team that can stay with teams that are ahead of us in the standings. It is mystifying how a senior laden D can perform so poorly. We spent most of the night chasing the puck instead of controlling it. Gruesome.

I should clarify something from my post last night. I didn't want to take anything away from Princeton. They are a good team and Kolzer is a terrific player. Kampersaal has them playing an aggressive system where all five players get involved on offense. They don't back down. They will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Well on the bright side, at least tonight, Harvard's goaltending was very good. But I was surprised to see the lack of teamwork (too much individuals trying to do it all on their own) as well as some poor skating, at least relative to past Harvard teams, with players falling down for no apparent reason. This could have easily been a 5-1 type of game, but Princeton was unable to put the puck in the net on some glorious chances, thanks largely to some very good play by Tissenbaum in goal.
        There's no question that Molly played the game of her life last night. Without her, you're correct, we lose 5-1. Or worse. Right now, we are chasing the puck and there is no cohesiveness, chemistry or focus. We were lazy in our own end and non existent with our forecheck. I think Katy knew there was trouble on the horizon in her pre-season comments when she referred to the need to build team chemistry and cohesion. She probably had an inkling that they were in for a rough start. This could be her worst season at Harvard since the mid nineties when she took over the program.

Comment

Same score today and pretty much the same type of game albeit not as one sided as last night. The Crimson still were outshot badly by the Bobcats who controlled a majority of the play. Harvard had many of the same problems as last night - sloppy in their own zone and a non existent forecheck. They are getting beaten to the puck on a regular basis.

I'm wondering if they will win 6 games let alone get to double figures. Their schedule is about to get tougher with BU and UMD on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            I'm wondering if they will win 6 games let alone get to double figures. Their schedule is about to get tougher with BU and UMD on the horizon.
            They've just played four straight games against ranked teams, so I don't think it gets more difficult to play UNH/BU/UMD/UMD. I think the last time the Crimson lost four straight games was 12 years ago, and they managed to turn things around and reach the championship game. Have a little faith. I'm not saying that they'll repeat that feat, but you and I both know that they'll win more than six games.

Comment

They've just played four straight games against ranked teams, so I don't think it gets more difficult to play UNH/BU/UMD/UMD. I think the last time the Crimson lost four straight games was 12 years ago, and they managed to turn things around and reach the championship game. Have a little faith. I'm not saying that they'll repeat that feat, but you and I both know that they'll win more than six games.
              UNH is "suffering" a similar schedule. 13 games in, with 9 against ranked teams. They have won every game against the unranked, with the exception of an OT loss to UConn. Against the ranked teams, they kept within 2 goals against all teams that don't begin with Boston. (Qunny was 3 - 0. but the last was an empty netter).
              The chemistry, however, is as good as I've seen in Wildcat Country in a solid 5 years - they just need to play a 60 minute game. Right now, they can skate with the upper class for 30 minutes, but hit the wall.

Tomorrow night will be a good chance for either team to reap the benefit of being pushed to the limit at the beginning of the season.
              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Sorry to talk about UNH in the wrong thread, but like DC, I feel that it is relevant given this is Harvard's next opponent.
                Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                (The Wildcats) just need to play a 60 minute game. Right now, they can skate with the upper class for 30 minutes, but hit the wall.

Tomorrow night will be a good chance for either team to reap the benefit of being pushed to the limit at the beginning of the season.
                It seems to be the Achilles heel of UNH in recent years that games slip away late. Do you think this is either a lack of depth or coach Witt playing too small of a rotation? It makes for an interesting match, given coach Stone is often accused of shortening the bench too much.

Comment

Sorry to talk about UNH in the wrong thread, but like DC, I feel that it is relevant given this is Harvard's next opponent.
                  It seems to be the Achilles heel of UNH in recent years that games slip away late. Do you think this is either a lack of depth or coach Witt playing too small of a rotation? It makes for an interesting match, given coach Stone is often accused of shortening the bench too much.
                  Tough to say. Last year, I thought it was a function of what she had to work with (for that matter, I still do for that roster) This year, the team is markedly improved, some positive purging took place, and the freshman class is as talented as we've seen in Durham in quite a while. Speed is considerably increased. I think the inability to play 60 intense, consistent minutes might be the youth factor. That said, on paper they are meeting, if not exceeding expectations and improving game to game, whereas it seems from what I've read, that Harvard is dealing with the opposite in terms of performance. I think it is well withing the realm of possibilities for UNH to host HE quarters, while Harvard looks to have a steeper hill to climb. Tomorrow's match up in intriguing, and may tell us a little more about our teams.
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I am with you ARM.....for an example, Jonna Curtis is playing PP man down, and every 2 1/2 shifts.....about 30+ minutes per game! Now she loves it, and is capable but given her frame and weight, it HAS to take a toll although she is not one you would see being slow come the 3rd period.......just that logic would dictate......If Coach Witt would play her bench, we definitely will make HE home ice.....and then the world!!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                      I am with you ARM.....for an example, Jonna Curtis is playing PP man down, and every 2 1/2 shifts.....about 30+ minutes per game! Now she loves it, and is capable but given her frame and weight, it HAS to take a toll although she is not one you would see being slow come the 3rd period.......just that logic would dictate......If Coach Witt would play her bench, we definitely will make HE home ice.....and then the world!!
                      OK but I don't know about that last part....
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Okay D2D, maybe just a little overstated......I'll give you that! T you get the gist......it will be an interesting game tomorrow night though.....UNH has played well unless your a Top 10 team, and DC has already illustrated those games......it might boil down to Stone vs Witt!

Comment

I was at both the Princeton and Quinnipiac games. A few thoughts on the games.

Princeton could have been a complete rout. Princeton had 52 shots on goal and watching closely I know there were a few more that did not get counted on the scoreboard. Molly Tissenbaum was astounding, letting in only two goals. Amazing performance and she kept it up throughout the game despite tremendous pressure. I do hope we see more from her this year. A few of the shots I was certain would go in but she stopped them somehow. Molly deserves a lot more support from the defense than she got against Princeton. The lines did seem to have problems keeping the puck in the zone and too many passes went to players in the wrong color jersey. A lot more Harvard penalties than usual.

Quinnipiac presented some of the same problems as the Princeton game. Laing faced 35 shots and stopped 33 of them. Not as amazing as Molly the night before but still respectable. There were fewer penalties called on Harvard but it was a different crew of officials and if memory served the crew for this game were a bit more experienced.

I miss Josie Pucci and her amazing flying down the length of the ice feats. Hard to replace her. Bradley Fusco can put on similar bursts of speed but does not seem to get as much ice time. Hopefully Katie can get this team organized by Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Princeton could have been a complete rout. Princeton had 52 shots on goal and watching closely I know there were a few more that did not get counted on the scoreboard. Molly Tissenbaum was astounding, letting in only two goals. Amazing performance and she kept it up throughout the game despite tremendous pressure. I do hope we see more from her this year. A few of the shots I was certain would go in but she stopped them somehow. Molly deserves a lot more support from the defense than she got against Princeton. The lines did seem to have problems keeping the puck in the zone and too many passes went to players in the wrong color jersey. A lot more Harvard penalties than usual.

Quinnipiac presented some of the same problems as the Princeton game. Laing faced 35 shots and stopped 33 of them. Not as amazing as Molly the night before but still respectable. There were fewer penalties called on Harvard but it was a different crew of officials and if memory served the crew for this game were a bit more experienced.

I miss Josie Pucci and her amazing flying down the length of the ice feats. Hard to replace her. Bradley Fusco can put on similar bursts of speed but does not seem to get as much ice time. Hopefully Katie can get this team organized by Christmas.

Tissenbaum's performance is especially noteworthy given her lack of starts/minutes the last two seasons. It’s nice to be able to flip a coin with her and Laing, at least so far. As for the current senior D, Pucci, Edney and Picard are not walking through that door (local Boston reference). And Dani K is out again, even disappearing from the box score for the only game in which she skated (SLU)! She and Heffernan are sorely missed. Daniels can’t do it all on her own, try as she might.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Bradley Fusco is DEFINITELY NOT Jo Pucci.....not even in bursts...

Comment

I guess where I was going with my post was the out of conference games which have been tough for Harvard in recent years save for '14-'15. I'm trying to have faith, really I am. But they have not started a season with so much offensive ineptitude in a long time. The season where they lost four in a row was '04-05 and they actually lost five out of six between the middle of November and early December. Katy held a mini 'training camp' after Christmas and put the team through some tough practices. That got their attention and they went on a 23 game unbeaten streak after the New Year.

I hope history repeats itself but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X