Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Yeah I wasn't thrilled to read about this either. In addition to the concussion risk, playing for a rival as a grad student knowing you're going to face your alma mater is something of a slap in the face. I can understand if she transferred while an undergrad and I know she loves the game. It just doesn't seem right.
    Do I recall correctly that St Lawrence and Clarkson have a five-year bachelor's/master's engineering program in which the student spends the first three years at StL and the final two at Clarky? If so, has anybody ever run into an athlete who took it...and which school does the athlete play for as a senior?

Comment

And apropos of Harvard's requirement that the student athlete drop out of school if they want to preserve their athletic eligibility, do we all remember Kenyatta Smith of the men's BB team who decided to rehab a pre-season injury and stay in college, and came back in February only to break his foot two miutes into his first game...and thereby lose a year's eligibilty?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        To be fair to Mary Parker, my understanding is that she was put in this position by Harvard's eligibility rules. If Harvard doesn't allow her to have a full senior season, but the NCAA does, then she is faced with a dilemma if she wishes to continue playing.
        How can/do Harvard's eligibility rules differ from the NCAA's? (I believe MP played in 5 games last season.)

Comment

Yeah I wasn't thrilled to read about this either. In addition to the concussion risk, playing for a rival as a grad student knowing you're going to face your alma mater is something of a slap in the face. I can understand if she transferred while an undergrad and I know she loves the game. It just doesn't seem right.
          Nice to know that kids can't move on with their lives after they graduate.

Comment

To be fair to Mary Parker, my understanding is that she was put in this position by Harvard's eligibility rules. If Harvard doesn't allow her to have a full senior season, but the NCAA does, then she is faced with a dilemma if she wishes to continue playing.
            I think it's pretty cool that MP can stay close to home, work towards her post-grad degree, and play her final year of eligibility. I don't understand why Harvard / Ivies are so inflexible with a student-athlete's red shirt policy. As for the concussions, she would have had to be cleared medically to play, and I am sure the school (BU), her family, her doctors and she, made careful consideration of the risk of re-injury.
            She is not the first women's player to do this. Amy McLaughlin lost a year of playing at Brown due to injury, and took her last year as a post-grad at UNH.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

We had a case in the 80's where Mark Benning transferred to Harvard, completed his studies in 1986 and came back for the '87 season taking two grad courses because he still had NCAA eligibility after the transfer. Same for Kevan Melrose. They both played while part time or grad students.

In this case, Mary completed her studies to receive her undergrad degree and could have enrolled as a grad student or possibly at the Extension School and played this season with the Crimson. A friend's daughter did this recently at Harvard where she cut back her schedule to part time due to mono the previous semester. She was able to compete athletically while she was a part time student and healthy. So I think it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                Nice to know that kids can't move on with their lives after they graduate.
                I never said she couldn't move on with her life. My only comment had to do with playing for a rival. If Harvard denied her the opportunity to play this year while a part time grad student, so be it but don't extrapolate where you have no basis.

Comment

I never said she couldn't move on with her life. My only comment had to do with playing for a rival. If Harvard denied her the opportunity to play this year while a part time grad student, so be it but don't extrapolate where you have no basis.
                  She graduated, the primary purpose for going to school in the first place. There's a lot of value in going to grad school somewhere other than where you did your undergraduate work. Maybe she wanted to do something that Harvard isn't as good at. (Yes, Harvard fans, there are lots of things that fall into that category.) Or maybe she just wanted to go someplace else. This is a normal part of life, and there's no particular reason she needs to follow your desires about how she lives it.

Comment

Harvard Women's Hockey - History Video

https://youtu.be/gva5YBFdiEQ
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Harvard Women's Hockey - History Video

https://youtu.be/gva5YBFdiEQ
                      Familiar, if laudable, PR, but watch the youtube clip on compliance that directly follows. More PR, so no real information, but at least some initial candor. Does any other "compliance officer" casually mention regulating "the sports industry within collegiate athletics"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcG5zHxOq4
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                        Familiar, if laudable, PR, but watch the youtube clip on compliance that directly follows. More PR, so no real information, but at least some initial candor. Does any other "compliance officer" casually mention regulating "the sports industry within collegiate athletics"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcG5zHxOq4
                        She misspoke. I think she was probably referring to Harvard Athletics per se rather than sports in general. In the video, she talks about the fact that without compliance, Harvard couldn't field athletic teams which you can pretty much say for any university. Nothing earth shattering here.

Comment

She misspoke. I think she was probably referring to Harvard Athletics per se rather than sports in general. In the video, she talks about the fact that without compliance, Harvard couldn't field athletic teams which you can pretty much say for any university. Nothing earth shattering here.
                          Indeed, nothing earth shattering here, but she didn't misspeak, she went off script (there's a difference), however unintentionally, and that's what I found somewhat noteworthy/amusing in a canned (i.e., uninformative) clip. That's all.

BTW, kudos to Daniels for a hat trick yesterday, Dartmouth or no, and . . .

Does anyone have any information on Dani Krzyszczyk?

Comment

Kind of an odd coincidence that the Harvard women play Clarkson and St. Lawrence at 3:00pm today and tomorrow, just before each school hosts the Gopher men at 7:00. Would be a fun double header to see each day...

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...20161026lo0ywi
                            http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...102716aab.html
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Indeed, nothing earth shattering here, but she didn't misspeak, she went off script (there's a difference), however unintentionally, and that's what I found somewhat noteworthy/amusing in a canned (i.e., uninformative) clip. That's all.

BTW, kudos to Daniels for a hat trick yesterday, Dartmouth or no, and . . .

Does anyone have any information on Dani Krzyszczyk?
                              No info on Dani. I'm hoping she didn't suffer another concussion. Also noticed that Karly Heffernan isn't on the roster. I'm wondering if she took the year off for academic or personal reasons. Or if she transferred.

This may be the first season in a long, long time where Harvard might be in danger of missing the playoffs. I'm thinking no worse than eighth place but who knows...

Comment

Krzyszczyk
                                I'd like to buy a vowel
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X