Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Tissenbaum's performance is especially noteworthy given her lack of starts/minutes the last two seasons. It’s nice to be able to flip a coin with her and Laing, at least so far. As for the current senior D, Pucci, Edney and Picard are not walking through that door (local Boston reference). And Dani K is out again, even disappearing from the box score for the only game in which she skated (SLU)! She and Heffernan are sorely missed. Daniels can’t do it all on her own, try as she might.
    No question we miss Dani and Karly. And Daniels is definitely trying to do a lot by herself which doesn't help matters.
    Grace Zarzecki got hurt when she collided with one of her own teammates at the Quinny blue line late in the game. She left the ice and went to the locker room and didn't return. Hope she is okay for tonight.

Comment

Tissenbaum's performance is especially noteworthy given her lack of starts/minutes the last two seasons. It’s nice to be able to flip a coin with her and Laing, at least so far. As for the current senior D, Pucci, Edney and Picard are not walking through that door (local Boston reference). And Dani K is out again, even disappearing from the box score for the only game in which she skated (SLU)! She and Heffernan are sorely missed. Daniels can’t do it all on her own, try as she might.
      I sat behind Ms. Tissenbaum the entire game last night. She made some unbelievable saves. Not to say she alone kept them in the game, as UNH played from behind twice, but I think her performance was why Harvard held the leads.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        I sat behind Ms. Tissenbaum the entire game last night. She made some unbelievable saves. Not to say she alone kept them in the game, as UNH played from behind twice, but I think her performance was why Harvard held the leads.
        Tissenbaum really can't do it all on her own (and no Daniels on the ice last night). Thanks for up-close report.

Comment

Tissenbaum really can't do it all on her own (and no Daniels on the ice last night). Thanks for up-close report.
          From bad to worse. Now no Daniels. This season is fast becoming a train wreck. There is only so long you can keep the faith before...

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            From bad to worse. Now no Daniels. This season is fast becoming a train wreck. There is only so long you can keep the faith before...
            For those who still have 'the faith' you can watch Harvard take on Boston University - for no charge - on ESPN3's stream this evening at 7pm Eastern.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/...type/upcoming/
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Well it was a great comeback but once again, all for naught. They may break the record for OT losses this season. The game wasn't as close as the score. BU had stretches where Harvard couldn't get the puck out of their zone and spent way too much time chasing the BU forwards. That combined with a so-so attack and it was somewhat of a miracle that they tied the game. Mullins and Daniels were Harvard's best players tonight. Bach and Parker are a dynamic pair. Brian Durocher owes Katey Stone a new Lexus for Christmas. Parker has 13 goals in 14 games. Think Harvard could use some of that production???

Comment

For two periods Harvard hung in there with UMD. Perhaps a microcosm of this season can be summed up by the Daniels penalty shot. Syd lost control as she was skating in on the goalie and wound up with a weak shot attempt. Too bad because the Crimson fought hard for every inch of ice and pushed UMD.

The wheels fell off early in the third as UMD took the lead with 11 seconds gone and it got worse from there. Harvard takes too many penalties and it really cost them in this game. McGovern for UMD is a great player and she has a lot of help. The Crimson do not have the skill or speed to match these teams and eventually it catches up to them. Without Tissenbaum and Liang, these games would be lopsided.

I was half kidding when I posted earlier that I thought they would have trouble winning six games. Now I'm beginning to wonder. This is snowballing in the wrong direction and the team just can't seem to put together a consistent effort for 60 minutes. Losing begets losing and if we don't win at least one game before Christmas break, it could get really ugly in January.

Comment

0-0 halfway through the second. Looking better than yesterday

Comment

1-1 after 3

Comment

Okay, this is no longer funny. 5 OT losses is beyond tolerable. And the way they lost today is on the coaching staff. I don't who is responsible for line changes and D pairings but they screwed it up royally in OT and it led to UMD winning the game. Not that the Bulldogs didn't deserve it because they outworked, out skated and out chanced Harvard by a wide margin. But if someone on the bench had been paying attention, we might have at least escaped with a point.

Harvard played better than last night and after they scored, it looked like they might actually take some measure of control of the game. But credit UMD for turning it up a notch and putting pressure on the Crimson despite being shorthanded late in the game. Harvard had a golden opportunity to seal it if they could have scored on their PP but their offense is so anemic, they got one shot from Kaitlin Tse and that was it.

Not having Heffernan and Zarzecki makes it even worse. The Crimson are in Union territory now and it is not pleasant. Especially with a trip to Colgate and Cornell next weekend. Chalk up two more losses. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                        Okay, this is no longer funny. 5 OT losses is beyond tolerable. And the way they lost today is on the coaching staff. I don't who is responsible for line changes and D pairings but they screwed it up royally in OT and it led to UMD winning the game. Not that the Bulldogs didn't deserve it because they outworked, out skated and out chanced Harvard by a wide margin. But if someone on the bench had been paying attention, we might have at least escaped with a point.

Harvard played better than last night and after they scored, it looked like they might actually take some measure of control of the game. But credit UMD for turning it up a notch and putting pressure on the Crimson despite being shorthanded late in the game. Harvard had a golden opportunity to seal it if they could have scored on their PP but their offense is so anemic, they got one shot from Kaitlin Tse and that was it.

Not having Heffernan and Zarzecki makes it even worse. The Crimson are in Union territory now and it is not pleasant. Especially with a trip to Colgate and Cornell next weekend. Chalk up two more losses. Oh well...
                        This may be one of the toughest seasons for the Crimson. Having lost some seniors of the likes of Picard, Maschmeyer and D'Oench, and the loss of Heffernan (foot injury), could be a tough one.

What will right the ship?

I do think the Ivy's do have a bigger battle than the scholy schools but with that in mind the girls do come out with a pretty good piece of paper.

It seems that the goalies MT and BL are holding the fort. Can't generate enough scoring though.

Coach Stone probably wakes up and hopes it's 2013 or 14 again.

Give it time, need to load up again. These girls are not stupid, most want a great education since there is not a lot of money down the road playing in either the NW or CW.

I did look at your schedule, and I think your right that there may only be 6 wins this year.

But your Coach and the schools reputation will bolster the line up for the future.

All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
                          This may be one of the toughest seasons for the Crimson. Having lost some seniors of the likes of Picard, Maschmeyer and D'Oench, and the loss of Heffernan (foot injury), could be a tough one.

What will right the ship?

I do think the Ivy's do have a bigger battle than the scholy schools but with that in mind the girls do come out with a pretty good piece of paper.

It seems that the goalies MT and BL are holding the fort. Can't generate enough scoring though.

Coach Stone probably wakes up and hopes it's 2013 or 14 again.

Give it time, need to load up again. These girls are not stupid, most want a great education since there is not a lot of money down the road playing in either the NW or CW.

I did look at your schedule, and I think your right that there may only be 6 wins this year.

But your Coach and the schools reputation will bolster the line up for the future.

All the best!
                          Thanks. This is painful any way you look at it. Today we lose to Cornell 3-0. That makes three straight ECAC road shutout losses. The futility is beyond what any of us who have followed the Crimson for the past 18 seasons can comprehend. But you're right, they will all get a great education. And at the end of the day, that's what counts long term.

I don't know what the recruiting landscape looks like going forward but it will take a couple of years to right the ship. Maybe longer. True the reputation and track record are there but we have lost players who have de-committed or who could not get past admissions and those who have gotten in are not doing the job. It is hard to imagine going from playing in the national championship game two years ago to what we have today.

Comment

Wide open game up at Colgate today. Again, another chance to get a win only to see it slip away with 21 seconds left.

Beth Larcom, a freshman, made her first career start and made 41 saves. Impressive to do so on the road. And heck, we actually scored on the road. A couple of positives if nothing else.

Comment

Why is it you have to scrutinize a box score to have confirmed what you thought you saw for the first time ever on the ice Saturday against Colgate, and then confirmed on the video, and yet has no special designation? I’m referring to an extra-attacker goal scored during a delayed penalty. There they are, in cool synchronicity: time of goal (8:58, Mullins), time of penalty (8:58, Sullivan). These pre-PPGs to me are much more exciting than the run of the mill PPG and must be much more infrequent. Why the official indifference to the stats of these DPGs?

On actual PPs Harvard dumped the puck more than once. Need fresh legs? There’s gotta be a better way to get them out there. Colgate’s PK took advantage of the opportunity to practice their figure-eights while waiting for H to get organized. Throw a puck into the ozone gap and both time and possession will disappear, guaranteed.

But it was a very exciting game. Seemed like 70/30 Raiders until H got their act together. But some sort of curse remains: to see a potential ENG clang off a pipe, followed by having the tying goal scored at 19:39 cannot be much fun. But the team showed a lot of resilience, and Larcom survived her trial by fire really nicely, including ten saves in an OT that featured a Colgate PP. We seem to have three very solid goalies. (Too bad the league’s trade deadline has passed.) Given how this season has progressed, we fans should take a road tie at Colgate as a win of sorts.

Btw, the guy doing the game Saturday on PVN, Kenneth or Kenny Someone (it wasn’t clear), was excellent. He knew all the H players’ names all the time, didn’t seem to miss any of the action, was clear and observant, and did his own “color,” which he kept to a minimum. The Ivy Digital Network should draft him.
                              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 12-06-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Don't know how we held on tonight, but Larcom's the real deal. (I guess Daniels is too.) We have three #1 goalies, and my guess is that Stone will go with Laing tomorrow and give the honors to Tissenbaum Tuesday since she has served her time so well.

BTW, what's the story with the Pond that Papi built? Is the Frozen Fenway experience really awesome for players and fans alike? Sight lines? Ice? Bench? Bonfire? Spiced rum? It would be nice to get the word from those who know, especially since, for better or worse, Harvard's real season always gets underway with BC. Can't we just remove the roof from Conte?
                                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-06-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X