Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
    There are some rumblings about Gordon and Roger Williams re-starting their programs at the varsity level. I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but both schools used to have varsity hockey back in the "good old days" of hockey!

Both are members of the CCC with all of their varsity teams, so it would make for a good fit!
    Gordon brought back hockey this year in the form of an ACHA DII club team. Their first season sort of ended inauspiciously though. They canceled the second half of their season due to a lack of players (apparently there were some scheduling conflicts for players who were duel-sport athletes). They also play their home games at Endicott, so presumably they would need to find a new place if they wanted to go varsity. Roger Williams has a pretty competitive, and from what I understand stable, club program going; also at the ACHA DII level. They play at an off-campus rink in Fall River, so I don't imagine they would have too many scheduling conflicts if they wanted to go varsity. Maybe they could elevate Women's Rugby or something to varsity status as well to fulfill Title IX requirements.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

I had much higher hopes for UNE this season. I have seen each of their home games and they have been a pretty good home team. The road, well, that's a very different story. Loses to Western New England, Suffolk and a tie at Wentworth, 3 bottom teams in the league. I have real questions about UNE's ability to win on the road, and that is not good when they will not be hosting any games during the playoffs.

On the other hand, they have 3 of 4 possible points against Endicott (with a road victory), 2 points against Salve with an OT loss on the road, 2 points against Nichols (road loss), so they can play well against the better opponents. They had better get their game on if they have any plans for the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        But there can be only one!
        Replying to myself as it appears there could be two!!!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I had much higher hopes for UNE this season. I have seen each of their home games and they have been a pretty good home team. The road, well, that's a very different story. Loses to Western New England, Suffolk and a tie at Wentworth, 3 bottom teams in the league. I have real questions about UNE's ability to win on the road, and that is not good when they will not be hosting any games during the playoffs.

On the other hand, they have 3 of 4 possible points against Endicott (with a road victory), 2 points against Salve with an OT loss on the road, 2 points against Nichols (road loss), so they can play well against the better opponents. They had better get their game on if they have any plans for the playoffs.
          I've been to a lot of games this year and watched a fair amount online, this is a good league. Endicott is very good and Salve, Nichols, and UNE I believe have all been nationally ranked at some point during the season, and Curry, while not what they were 10 years ago always fields a competitive program. The rest of the programs all have the ability to get a win when they are not supposed to on paper. That being said, I think the level of Talent in the CCC in the Top 5 teams is on par to the level of talent in the NEHC.

Comment

I only started following this league two years ago by going to a ton of Nichols games. It seems like the top teams, Endicott, Nichols, Salve, and UNE are at a different level than the rest of the conference but I have seen so many upsets by weaker teams that it really is interesting.

Endicott is probably the HEAVY favorite for the conference title but I would not be surprised if Nichols, Salve, Curry, or UNE get on a hot run through the tourney.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Well the top 6 are set, but if Western New England beats Wentworth tomorrow we have a 3 way tie for 7th and 8th. Ties in the CCC are broken as follows:
              1. Head to Head among the tied teams
              2. H2H among the other conference teams starting with 1st place, then 2nd place, then 3rd place, and so forth.

So we have
              Becker 1-1 vs. Suffolk
              Becker 2 -0 vs. WNEU
              WNEU 1-0-1 vs Suffolk
              So, Becker is 3-1
              WNEU is 1-2-1
              Suffolk is 1-2-1 Becker gets seed 7.

Then, according to the rules, we start all over on the tiebreakers to resolve WNEU and Suffolk. WNEU wins the season series 1-0-1 and gets the 8th seed.

If WNEU does not win, then
              Becker and Suffolk tie 1-1 on H2H
              Both are 0-2 vs Endicott, Nichols, Salve Regina and Curry
              Suffolk is 1-1 vs. UNE and Becker is 0-2. Suffolk gets seed 7 and Becker gets seed 8

So then we have

Saturday 2/25
              Becker/WNEU @ Endicott
              Suffolk/Becker @ Nichols
              Johnson & Wales @ Salve Regina
              UNE @ Curry

Semifinals are on Wednesday March 1 and the finals are on the following Saturday. The tournament is reseeded (sorry Prof) after the quarterfinals so the lowest surviving seed plays at the highest surviving seed and the other two survivors meet in the other semifinal. Winner gets the AQ.
              Last edited by joecct; 02-20-2017, 07:41 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

If Endicott loses in the CCC finals do they have a shot at an at large bid? That would be good for the conference, getting two teams in.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
                  If Endicott loses in the CCC finals do they have a shot at an at large bid? That would be good for the conference, getting two teams in.
                  #3 East Ranking. I would think they would be punished in the rankings if they lose in the CCC playoffs.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    #3 East Ranking. I would think they would be punished in the rankings if they lose in the CCC playoffs.
                    I would agree with this, but having seen them play a few times, IMHO I think they are without a doubt a top 10 team in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by landing1010 View Post
                      I would agree with this, but having seen them play a few times, IMHO I think they are without a doubt a top 10 team in the country.
                      Oh they're deep. But they have to stay out of the box.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

An interesting quarter final round. Endicott definitely looks like the top of the crop in the CCC, but the weekend proved that the league is a bit more wide open than we thought it was going to be back in October. Any of the four teams, though, could easily put together a run and take the AQ. If Endicott does not win the conference, how much of a problem will that cause for the selectors next week?

Comment

An interesting quarter final round. Endicott definitely looks like the top of the crop in the CCC, but the weekend proved that the league is a bit more wide open than we thought it was going to be back in October. Any of the four teams, though, could easily put together a run and take the AQ. If Endicott does not win the conference, how much of a problem will that cause for the selectors next week?
                          Only team in from CCC will be AQ. If Endicott loses, their SOS will be clobbered and probably knock them out.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

While looking at Endicott's roster I noted six former DI players. Seems like a lot. Is that normal? Are there other DIII teams with that many?

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
                              While looking at Endicott's roster I noted six former DI players. Seems like a lot. Is that normal? Are there other DIII teams with that many?
                              Go West, young man. Go West.

Though 6 is a bit over the norm.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

UNE outskated Nichols last night, hope they can keep up with Endicott. A surprisingly good season for a young Nichols team. Rooting for UNE to knock off Endicott.

Comment

Working...
                                X