Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Look out Big Blue Weasels!

Let's GO RED!!!
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Wow...that was an impressive offensive explosion. Can't remember the last time the Badgers put up a 5 spot in a period. Down 2-0 early, I really thought that UW was in trouble. The back half of the first period really seems to have set the tone for the 2nd. Really seems like the number of SHG we are giving up is higher than normal....gotta clean that up.

Still, we've equaled our win total from last year....that's nice!

Comment

I watched the entire game, except for between periods I switched to Center Ice. Last year I would've turned it off after the blue weasel's 2nd goal. The only thing I'll critique.....we can't let Berry handle the puck. He's no Hank Lundqvist, eh? 😁
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Defense is still an issue, but all in all its hard to get too upset about it. Half of the GA were the result of GREAT puck movement by the Wolverines.

We keep peppering the net like that and we're going to win a lot of games just by wearing down goalies.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Defense is still an issue, but all in all its hard to get too upset about it. Half of the GA were the result of GREAT puck movement by the Wolverines.

We keep peppering the net like that and we're going to win a lot of games just by wearing down goalies.
            Outshot UM 41-21? Fantastic. Love doing to them what they have been doing to UW the last whatever years, making UW looks like a bunch of amateurs (shoe probably fit, but still). Finish strong and bury these big blue weasels lads. 9-6-1 at the halfway point sure would look better than 8-7-1. Let's go RED!

AWESOME to see Duane Derksen in the booth with Posick, I feel really sad I didn't get to hear the conversation they had, Duane is my all time favorite UW goalie, going back to the mid 80's. I'm a goalie freak, I have a special fondness with all of them, but Duano is my guy, though I also am also very fond of Dean Anderson and Kirk Daubenspeck and Graham Melanson and Mr. Rumpel. No offense to the others of course, love them all.
            Last edited by Timothy A; 12-10-2016, 07:26 AM. Reason: Goalie comments
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Last Badgers sweep in Ann Arbor was almost 37 years ago, Feb. 16th and 17th, 1979, 8-3 and 6-4. Co-Captain (with Les Grauer) Rod Romanchuk had a 4 goal Saturday night for the Badgers who were backstopped by my own all time favorite goal tender, Julian Baretta, who always skated backwards into goal between his team mates to start things off. '79 was also, of course, Bob Suter's and Mark Johnson's last year as Badgers before becoming immortals with Team USA in '80.

Hopefully the boys have learned something from last Saturday's slow start vs. the Cows and come out tonight with fire. Biggest difference in defensive play I thought was how the F's were able to jump up and really pressure the puck to create opportunities to get it back. And when things got out of hand we had five Badgers collapse to the net and regroup instead of the F's waiting out top and putting it all on the D's to make hard plays. Really good effort last night, even though it got pretty sloppy for a while in the third.

Big Congrats to Cavallini on his first goal. His skating is so improved that he's really been able to contribute. It's weird because his skating was better early last year and then he fell back into his old habits as the season progressed. Looking so much better right now. Congrats to Freytag too. I've said before that one thing I really like about him is that when he does shoot, he puts it on net rather than wide or over. I guess that translates even if he's 120 feet away! No matter who's been on it, the 4th line has been doing good things all year; getting the puck deep, possessing it, and drawing penalties.

The Weasels will be desperate, so let's be desperate too and go get it tonight boys!
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

These were the kinds of wins we expected to see going into this season...allow a bunch of goals, and score a bit more.

I wasn't watching super-intently 100% of the time, but every time I saw Kunin, he was either sniping a goal or making some kind of productive play at either end of the ice. He had quite a game!

Comment

• Man, they just cannot put a full weekend together.

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                    Man, they just cannot put a full weekend together.
                    Makes you wonder what it is. Play was just kind of sloppy, ton of missed connections, they must have been off sides 8 or 9 times in the first half of the game and guys fanned on some wide open chances. Feet weren't moving very well either early on. Some fatigue could be there as that can cause a loss of focus on the details or it could just be gripping the stick too tight... these guys really want to win, so I don't see it as an effort thing at all, just for some reason they seem tentative and just have not been sharp on Saturdays.

Three weeks off to figure it out and to watch Master Luke play in the WJC. Need to win a dozen games in the second half to get into position for the post season. When they're on and playing well, they are as good as anybody, when they're not, anybody might beat them. They can do it, this can be a very good team if they can just build some confidence and consistency.

The other thing I have been wondering is if they're going to be slightly disadvantaged at home. This system is all about forechecking and pressuring the puck to funnel the carrier, create turnovers, and get it out and up ice quickly. In a smaller rink it works slightly better as there's not so much room to skate by and escape. A little more ice room and it's a little bit harder to manage the style against strong skating opponents. Hopefully we have some great crowds come out in the second half to juice it all up a little, which would help.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Is Labosky hurt or has he just been a healthy scratch the last couple weeks?
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        Is Labosky hurt or has he just been a healthy scratch the last couple weeks?
                        I thought I saw an article that he was a healthy scratch. Somewhere along the lines of "he was trying to hard", so a small break might help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Three weeks off to figure it out and to watch Master Luke play in the WJC.
                          This needs to become a thing. Well done.

Comment

I've heard Brian Posick use master luke....
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              I've heard Brian Posick use master luke....
                              The official UW hockey twitter account has, too. It's definitely a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                                (going into Michigan weekend)
                                1 point in the poll, receiving votes - 30th
                                RPI down to 28th
                                PWR down to 28th
                                Team O, 3.36 - 17th
                                Team D, 3.50 - 51st
                                PP, 20/86 23.26% - 7th
                                PK, 64/72 88.9% - 5th
                                Heading into the semester break, here is where the numbers are:
                                Still clinging to that single point in the poll, receiving votes, 26th
                                RPI down to 29
                                PWR stays at 28
                                Team O, 3.44 - 9th
                                Team D, 3.56 - 52nd
                                PP, 23/100 23.00% - 6th
                                PK, 70/81 86.4% - 11th

It will be interesting to see where this team goes in the 2nd half.

I think a big key for the rest of the season will be special teams.
                                Right now Ohio State, Minnesota, Penn State, Michigan are all in the top 12 for PP efficiency, we need our 11th ranked PK to keep them in check.
                                On the other hand, Penn State is the only other B1G team in the top 12 for PK (sitting at #1 killing a fantastic 92.5% of chances). If UW can keep the PP rolling and get those opportunistic goals against Michigan (14th - 86.0%), Minnesota (46th, 80%), Ohio State (56th, 74.6%), and Michigan State (60th, 73.3%) we have a good shot at ending the season in the top half of the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X