Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Originally posted by BuB View Post
    Although giving up a goal just 12 seconds after scoring is never a good thing....
    My roommate after UW made it 3-0: "oh, we've got this in the bag." BC scores two seconds after he finishes his sentence... I think we know who to blame for that one.

Comment

Went looking for highlights on youtube and found this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHM-cmmAU0&t=5142s

Comment

Jurusik was rock solid. The BC had better quality chances but Jurusik either stoned then or BC flubbed them. The team D wasn't as good as BC's or what one would expect from UW, but it was way better than last year. Attendance was aweful. The home opener against a national powerhouse with a new coach with all sorts of press and advertising leading up to the game....has hockey been permanently damaged in Madison? I was expecting Friday to be decently full and Sunday thinner the da Pack playing at the same time. Make me wrong. Sweep BC.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Jurusik was rock solid. The BC had better quality chances but Jurusik either stoned then or BC flubbed them. The team D wasn't as good as BC's or what one would expect from UW, but it was way better than last year. Attendance was aweful. The home opener against a national powerhouse with a new coach with all sorts of press and advertising leading up to the game....has hockey been permanently damaged in Madison? I was expecting Friday to be decently full and Sunday thinner the da Pack playing at the same time. Make me wrong. Sweep BC.
          It was good to see a full lower section of the student section at the START of the game. Sounds like good energy there too.

It's still football season for High School, Friday won't be packed until most teams are done. Don't know the stats, but I believe last year attendance was way less than 8K. It will take some time, but I think the 8K that where there were louder than I've heard in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Attendance was aweful. The home opener against a national powerhouse with a new coach with all sorts of press and advertising leading up to the game....has hockey been permanently damaged in Madison?
            Not permanently, but for the long term. I'm not exaggerating when I say they need to rebuild the program as if it's brand new. (See my last post.) Hockey fans around here mostly don't care about UW hockey. Non-hockey fans obviously don't, either. It's not seen as a major sport. Instead, it's a little extra thing that's a more popular/expensive version of volleyball.

All that press and advertising? That's important, but for MOST potential fans, it wasn't going to affect them to the point where they get up and go to the home opener. All of that press and new TV coverage is important to plant the seed in potential fans' heads that big-time college hockey IS big-time college hockey, not some extra little thing.

Last night's win is an excellent start to get people on board. Remember how atrocious attendance was last year? Last night's crowd was decent by comparison. The empty seats last year, for the most part, didn't represent people just itching to go to games as soon as they made a change. (Some were those people; they comment on hockey boards and articles.) They were mostly people for whom UW hockey was not on their radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              Not permanently, but for the long term. I'm not exaggerating when I say they need to rebuild the program as if it's brand new. (See my last post.) Hockey fans around here mostly don't care about UW hockey. Non-hockey fans obviously don't, either. It's not seen as a major sport. Instead, it's a little extra thing that's a more popular/expensive version of volleyball.

All that press and advertising? That's important, but for MOST potential fans, it wasn't going to affect them to the point where they get up and go to the home opener. All of that press and new TV coverage is important to plant the seed in potential fans' heads that big-time college hockey IS big-time college hockey, not some extra little thing.

Last night's win is an excellent start to get people on board. Remember how atrocious attendance was last year? Last night's crowd was decent by comparison. The empty seats last year, for the most part, didn't represent people just itching to go to games as soon as they made a change. (Some were those people; they comment on hockey boards and articles.) They were mostly people for whom UW hockey was not on their radar.
              Spot on. Wisconsin hockey has been in a malaise since about 1995. Great years in 06 and 10 but a whole lot of mediocre in between and you couple that with the sustained rise and prominence of football and basketball and you've got a program that needs to be repackaged and sold as if it were a new program.

Let's face it, no-one under 30-35 really got to witness Wisconsin Hockey as a national powerhouse unless they were going at ages 6-7-8 in the early 90's.

Tony Granato and co are doing and saying all of the right things and combine that with creative racehorse hockey and add in some wins and they'll start to redevelop the fanbase
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Friday nights have never been good draws, even going back to the Coliseum days; Friday night football, people working late, etc. I had Saturday night tix at the Coliseum, but could always get in on Friday nights. Friday night ticket holders I knew could not get in on Saturday unless you talked to the losers on the bikes circling the building. (Those losers are probably retired in Florida about now.) I agree it will take time, but exciting hockey and WINNING cures all. (See B.Alvarez 1990..."get your season tickets now")

I was there for periods 2 and 3. It was great to be back. I like the new uni's. Student section was great. I can't wait to get 13, 14, - 15,000 in there again. It certainly was speedy, up and down hockey. BC is always fast and they weren't any faster than us. I really think they are over-rated, but that doesn't diminish what I saw from UW. Since the place was so empty I moved around, and of course had to sit behind Jurusik for a period. He really stood strong. He was square. He played short side nice. Not too many juicy rebounds. I was impressed. That "new" obstruction, interference, whatever they want to call it, is bull****. I don't want the NCAA to turn this into baseball where you time a game with a calendar.

I had fun and that's what it's all about. Now we need 4 -5 thousand more people on a regular basis.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  Friday nights have never been good draws, even going back to the Coliseum days; Friday night football, people working late, etc. I had Saturday night tix at the Coliseum, but could always get in on Friday nights. Friday night ticket holders I knew could not get in on Saturday unless you talked to the losers on the bikes circling the building. (Those losers are probably retired in Florida about now.) I agree it will take time, but exciting hockey and WINNING cures all. (See B.Alvarez 1990..."get your season tickets now")

I was there for periods 2 and 3. It was great to be back. I like the new uni's. Student section was great. I can't wait to get 13, 14, - 15,000 in there again. It certainly was speedy, up and down hockey. BC is always fast and they weren't any faster than us. I really think they are over-rated, but that doesn't diminish what I saw from UW. Since the place was so empty I moved around, and of course had to sit behind Jurusik for a period. He really stood strong. He was square. He played short side nice. Not too many juicy rebounds. I was impressed. That "new" obstruction, interference, whatever they want to call it, is bull****. I don't want the NCAA to turn this into baseball where you time a game with a calendar.

I had fun and that's what it's all about. Now we need 4 -5 thousand more people on a regular basis.
                  Hoping you would comment on goaltending.

Big difference between the two weekends for Jurusik. Last night he more technically sound. More confident and higher out on the crease. Puck position was very strong. He keeps improving and get more comfortable, I think Buckey will have a really good goaltender in Jurusik. I think Sunday will be harder for the whole team. BC will be looking for win.

Comment

Regarding the emphasis on actually calling obstruction-type penalties as they happen, I like it. There were one or two I disagreed with, but I'll take that any day over the nonsense that I've seen before. The women's WCHA was the worst until they miraculously got better within the last couple of years. (It finally got to the point where you could honestly believe they were trying to call the game correctly.) They're all playing under the same rulebook, and just because some old Canadian farts learned a variety of hockey where you can jab your stick in your opponents' midsection (and assault him after the play) doesn't mean it makes for better hockey. I'd much rather see the players adjust to the rulebook that is already in place than have referees arbitrarily calling penalties when they feel like it.

If the refs are doing the best job possible, they're not the ones who decide how many penalties each team takes. It's the players doing illegal things. When refs decide to "let them play" is when they're really doing the opposite - inserting themselves in the game so that it fits their script.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Regarding the emphasis on actually calling obstruction-type penalties as they happen, I like it. There were one or two I disagreed with, but I'll take that any day over the nonsense that I've seen before. The women's WCHA was the worst until they miraculously got better within the last couple of years. (It finally got to the point where you could honestly believe they were trying to call the game correctly.) They're all playing under the same rulebook, and just because some old Canadian farts learned a variety of hockey where you can jab your stick in your opponents' midsection (and assault him after the play) doesn't mean it makes for better hockey. I'd much rather see the players adjust to the rulebook that is already in place than have referees arbitrarily calling penalties when they feel like it.

If the refs are doing the best job possible, they're not the ones who decide how many penalties each team takes. It's the players doing illegal things. When refs decide to "let them play" is when they're really doing the opposite - inserting themselves in the game so that it fits their script.
                      I'm fine with however they call it, as long as it's consistent both ways, and for the whole game. What I see, (perhaps anecdotally) is a good number of box scores already with 10-15 penalties called in periods 1 and 2, and then only 1 or 2 called in period 3. For example, Friday there was 14 penalties in the first two, and then 2 in the third for UW/BC. Miami/ OSU was 11 and 1; DU/BU was 9 and 1; UMASS/CC 10 and 2. Which at least in some cases, does suggest the old "swallow the whistle and let them play" in the third. Which is nonsense.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

BC fans know that voters must have based the preseason rankings on what happened last year. They clearly didn't account for all the talent BC lost.

Comment

Did you guys hear about the fire in Boston College's Hockey dorm that destroyed 20 books?

Yeah, the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet!

Let's GO RED!!!
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Yikes... That was a bad period of Badger Hockey. 50/50 pucks must be 80-90% BC, plus a heck of a lot of turnovers. Jurusic, after sleeping through the first 11 seconds, has made some nice plays to keep Bucky in it.

Regroup, settle down, play hard and confident and get this thing headed back in the right direction with 2:12 of PP to start the second. Let's go boys.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Really rough period, but an incredible goal from Cameron Hughes.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Just checking-- Are they still allowed to hit guys skating through the slot with the puck in college hockey?

I feel like maybe I missed a rule change...

Hughes--- Everyone's going to see the replay in slow-mo and it's really impressive... but in real time... That was unbelievable.

Also- Chris Brown had 2 goals in 41 gp last year. We've fed him a Hattie in two periods. Oops.
                                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-16-2016, 04:59 PM.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X