Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Continue!

Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Adding my first post to get the infamous green arrow.....

Thanks Almington for setting it up
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Nice job with the title. Happy to be in the new and fresh thread.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Carry forward from the last thread...how nice was it to see 5 guys (4 incoming) get drafted? I know that is a double edge sword as drafted guys tend to be shorter runs in college, but Wisconsin should be having 3-5 guys taken in each draft and if you do that perpetually there is always talent leftover when the early departures cycle through the program. Again....Greenway and Nyberg were especially great in that they fill gapping holes on D for next season at the last minute on the fly by the new staff. I also didn't realize Nyberg is already 19.....so hopefully his transition to being good on the ice is smoother. Greenway/Nyberg seem to have righted the universe with dmen coming into Wisconsin being NHL draftees as opposed to the last several years where that had become painfully rare or nonexistant. Gildon and Inamoto next year and Brady Smith/K'Andre Miller the following seem to be projected as drafted dmen. Inamoto had a rough year with injury struggles....but still likely to be drafted (and hopefully have a healthy season where his stock improves) Gildon I've seen as a solid first round projection by most and even inside the top 10 picks in a few places. For me, the key will be finding a high end forward for next season as you will lose Besse and I would imagine Kunin for sure (he!!, he just said so at the draft)....and Hughes as a drafted player after his junior year is a risk too (teams are leery of letting a kid they've drafted get to their senior year in that they can refuse to sign and be a free agent in August after their senior year). Baker (assuming he is still coming an that he arrives next fall instead of this) as a 1997 that has had pretty good success in the USHL and will have 3 full years of junior before showing up should be an immediate contributor.

I'm excited to see this years group of forwards as it will be as deep as any we've seen under Eaves. It is good to see the ship righted on d recruiting and with Oz here I expect that (I am pretty sure Gildon committed knowing what was about to happen). The key for me is will the staff be able to get that extra quality forward every year that Eaves seemed to be always short one or two of.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
          I know that is a double edge sword as drafted guys tend to be shorter runs in college, but Wisconsin should be having 3-5 guys taken in each draft and if you do that perpetually there is always talent leftover when the early departures cycle through the program.

I would imagine Kunin for sure (he!!, he just said so at the draft)....
          I know it was mentioned in the previous thread, but the coaches touched on the idea of the early departure of high-end players during their initial press conference.
          Here is the specific question/answer
          "When we bring them in and they leave, we'll find another one"

And for those that were looking for the link from Kunin's interview at the draft, here you go, the specific question is about 35 seconds in.
          "Describe to us when exactly we can see you for the Minnesota Wild and what you're going to bring to this team in the future"
          "Yeah, I mean, I think one more year at Wisconsin and then I should be ready to make the jump..."
          Last edited by KaMiGo; 06-27-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
            Carry forward from the last thread...how nice was it to see 5 guys (4 incoming) get drafted? I know that is a double edge sword as drafted guys tend to be shorter runs in college, but Wisconsin should be having 3-5 guys taken in each draft and if you do that perpetually there is always talent leftover when the early departures cycle through the program. Again....Greenway and Nyberg were especially great in that they fill gapping holes on D for next season at the last minute on the fly by the new staff. I also didn't realize Nyberg is already 19.....so hopefully his transition to being good on the ice is smoother. Greenway/Nyberg seem to have righted the universe with dmen coming into Wisconsin being NHL draftees as opposed to the last several years where that had become painfully rare or nonexistant. Gildon and Inamoto next year and Brady Smith/K'Andre Miller the following seem to be projected as drafted dmen. Inamoto had a rough year with injury struggles....but still likely to be drafted (and hopefully have a healthy season where his stock improves) Gildon I've seen as a solid first round projection by most and even inside the top 10 picks in a few places. For me, the key will be finding a high end forward for next season as you will lose Besse and I would imagine Kunin for sure (he!!, he just said so at the draft)....and Hughes as a drafted player after his junior year is a risk too (teams are leery of letting a kid they've drafted get to their senior year in that they can refuse to sign and be a free agent in August after their senior year). Baker (assuming he is still coming an that he arrives next fall instead of this) as a 1997 that has had pretty good success in the USHL and will have 3 full years of junior before showing up should be an immediate contributor.

I'm excited to see this years group of forwards as it will be as deep as any we've seen under Eaves. It is good to see the ship righted on d recruiting and with Oz here I expect that (I am pretty sure Gildon committed knowing what was about to happen). The key for me is will the staff be able to get that extra quality forward every year that Eaves seemed to be always short one or two of.

Great insight. Wisconsin Hockey should be in a terrific position for years to come. Then again, Don, Mark or Tony may be plucked from the trifecta from the slam dunk hire. Understand, but that is how any sport "goes". Let's enjoy while we have the upper position (as I see it). There may be a time where we question the decisions the coaching staff makes. Hopefully, the Badger Hockey Staff can keep things in place to have a special place in history. Not holding my breath. Let's do the best we can do, and if successful, take advantage of the present and kick some ***** in years to come!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                I know it was mentioned in the previous thread, but the coaches touched on the idea of the early departure of high-end players during their initial press conference.
                Here is the specific question/answer
                "When we bring them in and they leave, we'll find another one"

And for those that were looking for the link from Kunin's interview at the draft, here you go, the specific question is about 35 seconds in.
                "Describe to us when exactly we can see you for the Minnesota Wild and what you're going to bring to this team in the future"
                "Yeah, I mean, I think one more year at Wisconsin and then I should be ready to make the jump..."
                Luke Was Just On KFAN From Minny/St Paul Radio. Said any word of him Leaving Wisconsin Last Year was Just An Internet Rumor!
                Never under Consideration !

Comment

Originally posted by Bratbill View Post
                  Luke Was Just On KFAN From Minny/St Paul Radio. Said any word of him Leaving Wisconsin Last Year was Just An Internet Rumor!
                  Never under Consideration !
                  He also did not reiterate he'd be leaving after next season. He instead said he'll leave when he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOx View Post
                    He also did not reiterate he'd be leaving after next season. He instead said he'll leave when he's ready.
                    Now you are just getting our hopes up for a fail!

Comment

I wonder when Captains will be named..

Comment

Got an email from the Athletic Department today, as I am sure many of you did - promoting the release of the new athletic gear for UW under the UA brand. Release begins at midnight.....

It got me to thinking - I really hope that don't screw around with the hockey uniforms too much. I consider our diagonal WISCONSIN a classic design that should not be tampered with. Please, there is so much to fix on this team - the uniforms are great already. Let's focus our attention to the product on the ice, not the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                          Got an email from the Athletic Department today, as I am sure many of you did - promoting the release of the new athletic gear for UW under the UA brand. Release begins at midnight.....

It got me to thinking - I really hope that don't screw around with the hockey uniforms too much. I consider our diagonal WISCONSIN a classic design that should not be tampered with. Please, there is so much to fix on this team - the uniforms are great already. Let's focus our attention to the product on the ice, not the threads.
                          I had conversations with people involved in the switch and they seemed pretty confident that UA wouldn't mess up Wisconsin's classic style, especially for hockey.
                          Other schools with UA have pretty mellow/normal hockey gear, I think Notre Dame and one of the Boston schools maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post

I hope they do change the jerseys so that the letters are bigger again.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              I hope they do change the jerseys so that the letters are bigger again.
                              Well that I could live with. UA was founded by a guy from Maryland - that school takes their UA uniforms to incredible lows. If Wisconsin were to do something like that that would be worst case scenario. I don't see that happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X