Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Being 1-1-0 after 2 games is a good result. The lads have a long way to go. The BC series is scary, real scary. I'd like to re-schedule these games for February.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Being 1-1-0 after 2 games is a good result. The lads have a long way to go. The BC series is scary, real scary. I'd like to re-schedule these games for February.
      BC is way down from last year. Very young team, I think it will be a great math-up this year compared to last year. I would much rather see them early in the year vs once they gel and the young guys gain more experience.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        Wow, watching those replays you can really see the defense being overly aggressive and creating a good deal of chances for UNM. Good to see that that the offense could bail them out though.
        I specifically don't like Linhart's effort on (a) certain goal against... Controller disconnected.
        Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerHockey9 View Post
          BC is way down from last year. Very young team, I think it will be a great math-up this year compared to last year. I would much rather see them early in the year vs once they gel and the young guys gain more experience.
          That's fair. Goaltending was excellent for BC this weekend but they aren't gonna score a ton of goals early in the season. I am not expecting BC to light up wisconsin. What's the vibe out there? Are your fans jacked for the new era or will it take time for the kohl center to fill up again?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerHockey9 View Post
            But if you saw them at the end of the year it would mean Wisconsin was actually playing for something of significance.

And I'm not so sure how "down" BC is this year. They had a game stolen from them by the Air Force goaltender (that happens,) and they beat the #3 ranked team in the country (who returned the vast majority of players from a Frozen 4 team last season.).

BC doesn't rebuild, they reload.

Comment

Heh, you could argue Woll stole the game from Denver though

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Are your fans jacked for the new era or will it take time for the kohl center to fill up again?
                Both. Attendance decline has been a slow burn, so it'll take awhile to fill the building back up, but there is definitely a lot of excitement for the new era.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                  But if you saw them at the end of the year it would mean Wisconsin was actually playing for something of significance.

And I'm not so sure how "down" BC is this year. They had a game stolen from them by the Air Force goaltender (that happens,) and they beat the #3 ranked team in the country (who returned the vast majority of players from a Frozen 4 team last season.).

Down as in they aren't expected to win conference or even finish top 3 in conference. That's down according to BC standards. I would rather face them earlier in season then see Woll gain confidence with each game. Should be tight games this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

That is exactly what we are trying to get back to....

Comment

Gave it a few days for emotions to settle before giving my thoughts:

PP is #3 through the first two games. The sad part is I believe we allowed as many goals on the power play as compared to being shorthanded. Have to clean that up. Offense looks stellar, avg of 4 goals a game (t-11th). Kunin is going to be a force. Frederic sounds like a good one. Defense is a mess. Linhart should get a solo bag skate for his laziness. Corbin McGuire might be our best dman as a forward-converted-dman and maybe a big part of that is playing with JD Greenway. The other dmen wouldn't touch a prime top 6 d core constructed by Oz. Jurusik is the last goaltender listed in the statistics (Yikes!). The worst GAA and the worst sv %. That HAS to improve or the staff needs to give the freshmen a shot. Blame it on the defense, sure, but there comes a point where you determine if your goaltender is a Brian Elliott or a Shane Connelly.

My 2 cents. Thoughts?
                      Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 10-11-2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                        Gave it a few days for emotions to settle before giving my thoughts:

PP is #3 through the first two games. The sad part is I believe we allowed as many goals on the power play as compared to being shorthanded. Have to clean that up. Offense looks stellar, avg of 4 goals a game (t-11th). Kunin is going to be a force. Frederic sounds like a good one. Defense is a mess. Linhart should get a solo bag skate for his laziness. Corbin McGuire might be our best dman as a forward-converted-dman and maybe a big part of that is playing with JD Greenway. The other dmen wouldn't touch a prime top 6 d core constructed by Oz. Jurusik is the last goaltender listed in the statistics (Yikes!). The worst GAA and the worst sv %. That HAS to improve or the staff needs to give the freshmen a shot. Blame it on the defense, sure, but there comes a point where you determine if your goaltender is a Brian Elliott or a Shane Connelly.

My 2 cents. Thoughts?
                        Not much I can argue with there. The stats are what they are, but as you somewhat acknowledged, it is a small sample size. I could see this team start to go to a rotation in goal, where Jurusik starts on Fridays and then one of the freshman on Saturdays for a while - and hope that one of them catches a hot hand (glove?) and maybe start to ride that person. The D has to play better regardless of who is in net.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I will be interested to compare the Badgers this past weekend to the team that plays NMU again Nov 4-5 at the KC. Hopefully in the coming month we will see a team that starts to correct some of the mistakes that were there this weekend.

Madtown won't be rebuilt in a day.....enjoy the journey.....I think we're getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                          Not much I can argue with there. The stats are what they are, but as you somewhat acknowledged, it is a small sample size. I could see this team start to go to a rotation in goal, where Jurusik starts on Fridays and then one of the freshman on Saturdays for a while - and hope that one of them catches a hot hand (glove?) and maybe start to ride that person. The D has to play better regardless of who is in net.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I will be interested to compare the Badgers this past weekend to the team that plays NMU again Nov 4-5 at the KC. Hopefully in the coming month we will see a team that starts to correct some of the mistakes that were there this weekend.

Madtown won't be rebuilt in a day.....enjoy the journey.....I think we're getting better.
                          Basically what I expect from this team is high scoring games. Our defenders/goaltender are not good enough to be relied upon for 2 or less goals a game. I hope and expect to see steady improvement in that area though. I get the feeling the majority of our defenders have plateaued or don't have that extra gear. Perhaps adding Nyberg at the start of the second semester will go a long way. Really bites he isn't a Badger right now. I really want to believe in Jurusik, I really do, but he hasn't done anything that assures me he isn't better than a below-average starter.

Getting better every day is the important part. Hopefully G2O can make it happen.

Comment

I know he's let out some juicy rebounds, and had some goals he'd like back, but all the same I have a really hard time judging Jurusik given the defense that's in front of him. Even Anne ****ing Frank could see that he's going to struggle having to put up with that.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              That's fair. Goaltending was excellent for BC this weekend but they aren't gonna score a ton of goals early in the season. I am not expecting BC to light up wisconsin. What's the vibe out there? Are your fans jacked for the new era or will it take time for the kohl center to fill up again?
                              Both. The excitement level is insanely high, but it would have to be super-duper-insanely-astronomically high to be getting 12-13K regularly. If you're reading this, I can almost guarantee that the depths the men's hockey program reached were worse than you think. I'm including people who have been going to games, with the exception of fans who were students in the last couple of years. The sport of "college hockey" pretty much died. If Wisconsin finished in the bottom three of the Big Ten in men's basketball from now until 2026-27, you might be able to start comparing it to what happened with hockey. The baseline level of college basketball in the general consciousnesses of sports fans is so much higher. It remains a "thing" without any help from UW. That's even more the case with football.

There's a solid population of fans who know what elite college hockey is all about, and those are the ones you'll see "coming back" to the Kohl Center this year. That leaves out all the people who, in a different time, would have been sucked into fandom. That's why UW Athletics is going all Badger Bob on everyone, as if they're starting a new program. To get the program back to where it can and should be, they need to treat it like it's brand new...but also they have a lot of history as a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                I know he's let out some juicy rebounds, and had some goals he'd like back, but all the same I have a really hard time judging Jurusik given the defense that's in front of him. Even Anne ****ing Frank could see that he's going to struggle having to put up with that.
                                I've got to agree, but to a point. I was very close to a situation where a goalie went from excellent AAA teams to a lousy high school program. Not only did the SOG double and triple, but the QUALITY shots against also increased.

I posted last week not to get me wrong, he bailed us out last year. I want to back Matt, but it can only be said that he's "been left out to dry" so many times. At this level, you've got to be at least 90% sv%
                                and more like 92% to compete. Matt is 50th in the nation right now( it looks like a minimum of 45 minutes, but most goalies are in triple digit minutes). Since I haven't been to a game in almost 2 years, I depend on youze guyz to fill me in on the defense and they are struggling. As the defense gets better, he's got to improved or he'll be getting splinters in his ***. I'm not against him, I want ALL players to succeed and push each other to a point where anybody can play anytime.

Forever ****ing Forward >>>>>>>>>>
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X