Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

It is interesting that Eaves used to talk about the huge roster providing competition, yet the same guys played night after night. This staff has gotten every player involved and done a good job of having guys make big contributions when they get them into the lineup. I think competition only works if there is some hope you are actually going to get to play in a game. At the very least, this staff has a really good feel for the players involved and when they are playing well and ready to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
      It is interesting that Eaves used to talk about the huge roster providing competition, yet the same guys played night after night. This staff has gotten every player involved and done a good job of having guys make big contributions when they get them into the lineup. I think competition only works if there is some hope you are actually going to get to play in a game. At the very least, this staff has a really good feel for the players involved and when they are playing well and ready to contribute.
      The fourth line is the perfect example swapping in guys left and right and they have been one of the most consistent lines the last 4-5 games. When they get in they are motivated to stay there and I like that. TG has a shown he will make large swaps in forward lines as necessary to get production.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Who is a better player at the same point in their careers (just past halfway in their sophomore years) Kerdiles or Kunin?
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Who is a better player at the same point in their careers (just past halfway in their sophomore years) Kerdiles or Kunin?
          Kunin. Pure goal scorer and leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
            Really think that this weekend will say a lot about this team's growth. We are playing an inferior team and should get some results - but on the road things will be more difficult. Can they keep the same focus and not get complacent? These guys haven't been in this situation before - and least not the last few years.

Regardless - what a situation this team finds itself in at this point. Very exciting! When the Non-Hockey Badger Fans at work start talking UW Hockey, I know things are turning around.
            I agree, if this team wants to solidify that they are for real. A sweep this weekend is a must. No slip ups against an inferior team.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              I agree, if this team wants to solidify that they are for real. A sweep this weekend is a must. No slip ups against an inferior team.
              I worry about what the emotional toll from Saturday's game will be.

They played a solid game for 58 minutes and were probably feeling really good about themselves.
              Then they let in 2 goals to tie the game and things probably got pretty low.
              Then you get the OT winner on a slightly controversial goal (I think it was a good goal) and your emotions rocket back up.

Add in the fact that you couldn't score during a 5 min PP with 2 min of that being 5 x 3...

I'm just not sure what to expect from the guys on Friday. I hope they come out with the intensity to match how well they have been playing in general, but I could see it being a horrible first period.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                I worry about what the emotional toll from Saturday's game will be.

They played a solid game for 58 minutes and were probably feeling really good about themselves.
                Then they let in 2 goals to tie the game and things probably got pretty low.
                Then you get the OT winner on a slightly controversial goal (I think it was a good goal) and your emotions rocket back up.

Add in the fact that you couldn't score during a 5 min PP with 2 min of that being 5 x 3...

I'm just not sure what to expect from the guys on Friday. I hope they come out with the intensity to match how well they have been playing in general, but I could see it being a horrible first period.
                I view this from the opposite end, if they lost that game after being up 2-0 late that would be quite a gut punch. The season could have started to turn to what we thought this team was going to be this year. They held it together and ended up taking care of business. It would have been easy to have a let down after those two goals. They showed a lot of character for not packing it in when things got really challenging.

I think they come out flying Friday night, rolling 4 lines.

Captain America guides them to a sweep in East Lansing. 4-3 and 5-2

Comment

Kerdiles. Kunin may have the shot but Kerdiles dictated play. I'd say Kerdiles was the best forward on a team that featured Zengerle, Barnes, and Mersch. Not so sure Kunin would be the best of that bunch in terms of college puck though I think Kunin has the best chance to make the NHL with the way he plays.

Side note: I went to a game earlier this year with a friend whom prior to this year had not gone to a badger hockey game. During one of the Wisconsin powerplays I said out loud "we need a Kunin one timer" and about 3 seconds later Kunin scored a one timer from the point. My friend's reaction was priceless and now every time I see that friend he says "Kunin for the one time!" endlessly. Been to some games (NMU series, Minnesota series) and I explained the rules as it went and he's really picking it up. Think he's hooked to Badger hockey now Fun little story to share with you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                    During one of the Wisconsin powerplays I said out loud "we need a Kunin one timer" and about 3 seconds later Kunin scored a one timer from the point.
                    To me it feels like that is all that he does on the PP. He just kind of sits there at the top of the circle waiting for the other 4 guys to do enough work to clear out a passing lane so that someone can send it cross-ice to him so that he can rip a shot off. Don't get me wrong, it seems to be working well. But you have to think that teams are going to figure that out at some point. Stick a body on Luke and deal with the rest like a 4-on-3.

Comment

Kerdiles seemed to set up more plays and was more creative, whereas Kunin is like the hired gun, hard to compare but I'd take Kerdiles.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A couple of very entertaining games gives UW the split, all things considered I'll take that.

Wisconsin DOUBLES the votes that they are getting, but to 2 now! receiving votes, 26th
                        RPI steady at 27
                        PWR bumps up to 2t (tied with Clarkson and MTU)
                        Team O, 3.65 - 6th
                        Team D, 3.30 - 49th
                        PP, 27/120 22.50% - 8th
                        PK, 86/99 86.9% - 8th

Next we get the road series against OSU, Thursday in Ohio, Saturday at The Garden.
                        Wisconsin DOUBLES the votes that they are getting, but to 2 now! receiving votes, 26th
                        RPI steady at 27
                        PWR bumps up to 2t (tied with Clarkson and MTU)
                        Team O, 4.23 - 2nd
                        Team D, 2.77 - 28th
                        PP, 24/92 26.09% - 2nd
                        PK, 75/97 77.3% - 52nd

I think the key focus that the stats show is that UW needs to put up a lot of shots as early as they can. UW is 4-0-0 when leading after 1 and OSU is 0-1-3 when trailing. This is probably easier said than done...UW has a goal differential of -8 (16 to 28) in the first while OSU has a differential of +17 (33 to 16) .
                        If UW is able to get a lead, they need to keep the foot on the gas pedal and get separation. UW is 4-3 in 1-goal games, while OSU is 3-0.

The formula is simple, get early shots that lead to early goals and maximize the PP opportunities; but then again you could probably say that about any Team A facing Team B.
                        Maybe G2O were reading this...3 first period goals for, 0 first period goals allowed. That is always a good indicator.

After a solid away/neutral sweep of Ohio State, here is where things stand:

Wisconsin gets 93 votes, good enough to get to 18th place in the latest poll
                        RPI climbs to 18
                        PWR also climbs to 18
                        Team O, 3.59 - 7th
                        Team D, 3.14 - 43rd
                        PP, 27/124 21.77% - 10th
                        PK, 91/105 86.7% - 7th

Next up is the return trip to Michigan State. Sparty has been struggling with just 1 win in all of December/January. Last time we saw them, it was 5-1, 5-1 wins for the good guys.
                        MSU shapes up like this:
                        No votes in the poll
                        RPI - 49
                        PWR - 49
                        Team O, 2.24- 51st
                        Team D, 3.82 - 57th
                        PP, 17/110 15.45% - 43rd
                        PK, 73/101 72.3% - 59th (just barely ahead of last place Brown)

On paper, this should be an easy match-up.
                        UW is +10 in total goals, MSU is -34 in total goals. UW is +196 in total shots, MSU is -139 in total shots. We shoot the puck more, and get more goals because of it.
                        In conference play, UW scores 4.00 per game with MSU allowing 3.75 / UW allows 2.50 with MSU scoring 2.00.

At this point, anything short of a sweep would be disappointing, but then again this team has been more than capable of disappointing fans recently. Call me cautiously optimistic. Stats and trends make me feel like a weekend of 4-2, 3-1 would be expected.

Comment

In "getting way too far ahead of ourselves" news...they have UW in the latest Bracketology

LINK

We are tied for first in the B1G and get in on some sort of tie-breaker.

I think my head is going to explode now...

Comment

In "getting way too far ahead of ourselves" news...they have UW in the latest Bracketology

LINK

No Shiit! I had not even remotely thought of the possibility of UW making the tourney. There's a long way to go, but the lads are on pace to put enough meat in the freezer to make it through winter.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

LINK

FWIW, tiebreakers are...
                              1) Conference wins
                              2) Head to head
                              3) Goal differential within the matchup (UW wins 8-7)

Comment

The mere thought of this team making the NCAA tourney fills me with joy.

They have been an exciting team to watch night in, night out and I want them to keep going for as long as they can.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X