Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

I rarely checked in to BadgerNation for hockey, not to mention anything. I do read Buckyville which imo is very good. I popped over to BadgerNation just to see who is posting what about hockey; no hockey board! They discontinued the hockey forum. They have 2 football forums, one basketball forum and a forum for "Other Badger Sports". Obviously I didn't frequent that board, but now they're off my favorites and on my **** 'em list.

I guess some people don't remember when hockey was the ONLY revenue generating sport.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      I rarely checked in to BadgerNation for hockey, not to mention anything. I do read Buckyville which imo is very good. I popped over to BadgerNation just to see who is posting what about hockey; no hockey board! They discontinued the hockey forum. They have 2 football forums, one basketball forum and a forum for "Other Badger Sports". Obviously I didn't frequent that board, but now they're off my favorites and on my **** 'em list.

I guess some people don't remember when hockey was the ONLY revenue generating sport.
      I started one over on Badger247. It's not lively day-to-day, but I'll typically post articles when they come out and they usually get a few comments. There's also a few comments made during and after games.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I had DVR'd the Saturday night game and watched it last night. The crowd sounded great on TV, too.

I didn't catch his name, but the Gopher play by play guy.....ooooof. I think it's Doug McLeod? I did some research and he's a seasoned veteran with hockey, but I don't think he's very good. It's not that he's a Gopher guy, because I liked The Rug and Wooger. I even thought LaPanta, who is now with the Wild, was better. Is he past his prime perhaps, like what happened to PB?

Frank "The Rug" Maccazzo was at the WI Hockey Backers luncheon last Friday (I couldn't make it); I heard he was a hoot.

Wisconsin Hockey: Now back to Wisconsin Hockey.
        Even most Gophers fans have grown tired of Doug. Great enthusiasm but overall he's lost what he had.

Comment

Sad to hear of the passing of coach Jeff Sauer today.

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/sta...05284242321408

Rest in peace, coach.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Rest in peace, coach.
            Sad news. Very friendly guy even to just fans like me.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Very sad news. Not just a good coach, but by all accounts a good man.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Very sad news. Not just a good coach, but by all accounts a good man.
                He certainly was a good man. Back before Capitol Ice was built in 2000'ish, we (Capitols) had some ice time at the Coliseum many times right after the Badgers practice. Coach Sauer always hung around and talked with us dads & moms. He always had time for us. He had a great sense of humor. He and coach Howard were always giving Bobby Suter some kind of ****.

R.I.P. coach.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I do have a friend who had beef after his brother's scholarship was yanked (which happens), but that's the only negative I'd ever heard.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Rest in peace, coach.
                    I grew up watching his UW teams, and the successes of those teams gave me the passion for UW hockey I have today. My interest in hockey growing up has evolved into a family interest that makes hockey one of the binders of our family lives. I owe that to Coach Sauer. Thanks, Coach.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

First time I ever crossed his path was summer of 91 and I was walking into Hartmeyer to play and he was walking out after watching the Badger/NHL summer group that was on before us. I did a double take and he acknowledged me and said , "How are you young man?"

It's really a nothing, but Alvarez would have walked right on by. That stuck with me and every time I met him afterwards, he was always friendly.

Last time I saw him was a few weeks back when my son's game was the Prep Game of the Week on Channel 3000.

I asked that they (Jay and Coach) give a shout out to my parents and sister who were watching in Florida and they were more than happy to and even spent a little time talking about my kid.

Those are just a couple of my experiences.

Of course there's what he did for UW Hockey and maybe even more impressively, what he did for USA Sled Hockey.

Great coach and a great legacy.

RIP Coach.

Comment

Sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I grew up watching his UW teams, and the successes of those teams gave me the passion for UW hockey I have today. My interest in hockey growing up has evolved into a family interest that makes hockey one of the binders of our family lives. I owe that to Coach Sauer. Thanks, Coach.
                          This sums up my thoughts exactly. Exact same experience with UW Hockey through Coach Sauer.

Here is my Coach Sauer story...When the Kohl Center was opening, they brought the season ticket holders from the Coliseum over to pick out their seats. People were given dates and times based upon seniority...anyways, we went to the NEW Kohl Center and were able to pick out our seats. It was my dad, my uncle and I - as a youngish lad. My dad and my uncle (who has since passed) are both 6' 8" tall. We were all walking in and I was trailing behind....all of a sudden this voice from nowhere says, "Jesus guys, the folks to pick out basketball seats came in last week. You guys are too tall to be hockey fans!". We all spun around and it was Coach Sauer. He came over and shook everyone's hand, gave us a few tips on where he'd pick seats (as if he had too) and then went on his way, thanking us again for coming. Our family still has those same seats. It will feel very different going to them next Saturday when we go to the PSU game.

Thanks for nurturing my love of UW Hockey, Coach - and the great seats. R.I.P.

Comment

BTW, I get that FB drives the almighty athletic department - but the fact that Leonhard becoming the DC for the FB team is the lead story on UWBadgers.com right now stinks.

I know that Paul Chryst is a class guy, and I'm guessing the Leonhard announcement probably came out before the news on Coach Sauer. Had the opposite happened, I'm guessing Coach Chryst waits to make his announcement until tomorrow.

But the website can do whatever it wants - and IMO, it stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                              BTW, I get that FB drives the almighty athletic department - but the fact that Leonhard becoming the DC for the FB team is the lead story on UWBadgers.com right now stinks.

I know that Paul Chryst is a class guy, and I'm guessing the Leonhard announcement probably came out before the news on Coach Sauer. Had the opposite happened, I'm guessing Coach Chryst waits to make his announcement until tomorrow.

But the website can do whatever it wants - and IMO, it stinks.
                              Rumor has it the UM AD has basically said that FB is going to get every ounce of attention following the signing of Fleck and that BB and hockey will be an afterthought. Luckily the player's area at Mariucci received significant upgrades and the new athlete's village will support several different sports, but if the rumor is true Lucia (and his successor) and Pitino are basically on their own.

Comment

Not trying to troll on your thread but two items:

First and foremost, condolences to the UW community on the loss of former coach Jeff Sauer. Beyond the two NCs he won with Wisconsin, he did what I consider to be heroic work coaching the US National Sled Hockey program, which fully integrated the severely disabled, including more than a few Wounded Warriors, into the competitive hockey world. The man was a giant in the hockey world.

Second point: I really get turned off when I see references to things like the "athlete's village" and other things that tend to isolate varsity athletes in all sports from the rest of the student body. Back in my (ancient) day, we identified with the athletes because we lived with them, ate with them, socialized with them, went to class with them, and knew them as friends. The day-to-day contact had a lot to do with why people like me filled the seats when our teams played. These days, there are too many empty seats at Kohl, Mariucci, and elsewhere. Sure, Netflix, video games, social media, and the like are contributing factors but I also think that effectively cutting the athletes off from the rest of the student body has a helluva lot to do with it.

Athlete's villages: Something else to thank football for.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X