Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
    Gave it a few days for emotions to settle before giving my thoughts:

PP is #3 through the first two games. The sad part is I believe we allowed as many goals on the power play as compared to being shorthanded. Have to clean that up. Offense looks stellar, avg of 4 goals a game (t-11th). Kunin is going to be a force. Frederic sounds like a good one. Defense is a mess. Linhart should get a solo bag skate for his laziness. Corbin McGuire might be our best dman as a forward-converted-dman and maybe a big part of that is playing with JD Greenway. The other dmen wouldn't touch a prime top 6 d core constructed by Oz. Jurusik is the last goaltender listed in the statistics (Yikes!). The worst GAA and the worst sv %. That HAS to improve or the staff needs to give the freshmen a shot. Blame it on the defense, sure, but there comes a point where you determine if your goaltender is a Brian Elliott or a Shane Connelly.

My 2 cents. Thoughts?
    Not much I can argue with there. The stats are what they are, but as you somewhat acknowledged, it is a small sample size. I could see this team start to go to a rotation in goal, where Jurusik starts on Fridays and then one of the freshman on Saturdays for a while - and hope that one of them catches a hot hand (glove?) and maybe start to ride that person. The D has to play better regardless of who is in net.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I will be interested to compare the Badgers this past weekend to the team that plays NMU again Nov 4-5 at the KC. Hopefully in the coming month we will see a team that starts to correct some of the mistakes that were there this weekend.

Madtown won't be rebuilt in a day.....enjoy the journey.....I think we're getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by BuB View Post
    Not much I can argue with there. The stats are what they are, but as you somewhat acknowledged, it is a small sample size. I could see this team start to go to a rotation in goal, where Jurusik starts on Fridays and then one of the freshman on Saturdays for a while - and hope that one of them catches a hot hand (glove?) and maybe start to ride that person. The D has to play better regardless of who is in net.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I will be interested to compare the Badgers this past weekend to the team that plays NMU again Nov 4-5 at the KC. Hopefully in the coming month we will see a team that starts to correct some of the mistakes that were there this weekend.

Madtown won't be rebuilt in a day.....enjoy the journey.....I think we're getting better.
    Basically what I expect from this team is high scoring games. Our defenders/goaltender are not good enough to be relied upon for 2 or less goals a game. I hope and expect to see steady improvement in that area though. I get the feeling the majority of our defenders have plateaued or don't have that extra gear. Perhaps adding Nyberg at the start of the second semester will go a long way. Really bites he isn't a Badger right now. I really want to believe in Jurusik, I really do, but he hasn't done anything that assures me he isn't better than a below-average starter.

Getting better every day is the important part. Hopefully G2O can make it happen.
    Stevens Point Hockey!! Dibs on runner up!
    National Champions 89' 90' 91' 93' 16'
    Runner Up 92' 98' 14' 15'

Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the Mark Osiecki death stare!
    National Champions 73' 77' 81' 83' 90' 06'

Drunkard

I know he's let out some juicy rebounds, and had some goals he'd like back, but all the same I have a really hard time judging Jurusik given the defense that's in front of him. Even Anne ****ing Frank could see that he's going to struggle having to put up with that.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    That's fair. Goaltending was excellent for BC this weekend but they aren't gonna score a ton of goals early in the season. I am not expecting BC to light up wisconsin. What's the vibe out there? Are your fans jacked for the new era or will it take time for the kohl center to fill up again?
    Both. The excitement level is insanely high, but it would have to be super-duper-insanely-astronomically high to be getting 12-13K regularly. If you're reading this, I can almost guarantee that the depths the men's hockey program reached were worse than you think. I'm including people who have been going to games, with the exception of fans who were students in the last couple of years. The sport of "college hockey" pretty much died. If Wisconsin finished in the bottom three of the Big Ten in men's basketball from now until 2026-27, you might be able to start comparing it to what happened with hockey. The baseline level of college basketball in the general consciousnesses of sports fans is so much higher. It remains a "thing" without any help from UW. That's even more the case with football.

There's a solid population of fans who know what elite college hockey is all about, and those are the ones you'll see "coming back" to the Kohl Center this year. That leaves out all the people who, in a different time, would have been sucked into fandom. That's why UW Athletics is going all Badger Bob on everyone, as if they're starting a new program. To get the program back to where it can and should be, they need to treat it like it's brand new...but also they have a lot of history as a bonus.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I know he's let out some juicy rebounds, and had some goals he'd like back, but all the same I have a really hard time judging Jurusik given the defense that's in front of him. Even Anne ****ing Frank could see that he's going to struggle having to put up with that.
    I've got to agree, but to a point. I was very close to a situation where a goalie went from excellent AAA teams to a lousy high school program. Not only did the SOG double and triple, but the QUALITY shots against also increased.

I posted last week not to get me wrong, he bailed us out last year. I want to back Matt, but it can only be said that he's "been left out to dry" so many times. At this level, you've got to be at least 90% sv%
    and more like 92% to compete. Matt is 50th in the nation right now( it looks like a minimum of 45 minutes, but most goalies are in triple digit minutes). Since I haven't been to a game in almost 2 years, I depend on youze guyz to fill me in on the defense and they are struggling. As the defense gets better, he's got to improved or he'll be getting splinters in his ***. I'm not against him, I want ALL players to succeed and push each other to a point where anybody can play anytime.

Forever ****ing Forward >>>>>>>>>>
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Anne Frank? Like, the Holocaust diary girl? Was she blind? Was she a hockey fan?

Anne Sullivan? She was Helen Keller's teacher. Helen was blind. Is that who you meant?

I'm so confused...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 2017
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Anne Frank? Like, the Holocaust diary girl? Was she blind? Was she a hockey fan?

Anne Sullivan? She was Helen Keller's teacher. Helen was blind. Is that who you meant?

I'm so confused...
    I didn't know where he was going there either. Was it because she stuck in a confined space that she would not see the struggles? Hmm... so many questions.

Drunkard

None of you guys have seen Clerks II, have you?
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 10-12-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Sad Panda

Nope. Kind of checked out on Kevin Smith films a while back. Guess I missed a reference.

WHOOSH - pop culture reference passing overhead...

Sorry, nope. Haven't seen Clerks 1, either.

Thanks for the explanation.
    ---

Sad Panda

Having now watched that clip, I can safely say that I really don't think I missed much by skipping that one. (Loved Clerks though, as I was working in retail at the time.)

#1 Badger Fan

Posick and Burish on the call for game Friday on FS Wisconsin.

Drunkard

Nice.

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by UWisco View Post
    Fox Sports Go has the game in their listings as well. Of course they are broadcasting a game when I have a league hockey game to play at 9:40. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by UWisco View Post
    Ugh. I hope Posick doesn't leave the radio broadcast. If he gets to many TV gigs, others will see how talented he is and how good his broadcasts are.

Have you at least seen Bill and Ted?

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    WHOOSH - pop culture reference passing overhead...

Sorry, nope. Haven't seen Clerks 1, either.

Thanks for the explanation.
    UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Switzer View Post
    Strange things are afoot at the Circle K!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Switzer View Post
    San Dimas High School football hockey rules!
    Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 10-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Ugh. I hope Posick doesn't leave the radio broadcast. If he gets to many TV gigs, others will see how talented he is and how good his broadcasts are.
    For the radio coverage for Friday's game it will be Ian on the color commentary as usual, with Mike Heller doing the play by play.

For those who don't know Mike, he is the host of a local afternoon/evening sports talk show that is now spreading across most of southern Wisconsin. The main stations are 1070AM here in Madison and 920AM in Milwaukee (The Big 1070, The Big 920, both available through iHeart Radio apps).
    I think he has been doing Badger Football pregame shows this year too, not sure how long that has been going on for, don't listen to the games on the radio too much. I only know because it has popped up on his Twitter the past several weeks.

Registered College Hockey Addict

Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    For the radio coverage for Friday's game it will be Ian on the color commentary as usual, with Mike Heller doing the play by play.

For those who don't know Mike, he is the host of a local afternoon/evening sports talk show that is now spreading across most of southern Wisconsin. The main stations are 1070AM here in Madison and 920AM in Milwaukee (The Big 1070, The Big 920, both available through iHeart Radio apps).
    I think he has been doing Badger Football pregame shows this year too, not sure how long that has been going on for, don't listen to the games on the radio too much. I only know because it has popped up on his Twitter the past several weeks.
    The Mike Heller Show was also added to 100.5 (Wausau) about a year ago.

Thread Information