Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

That's correct, the call I was looking at was interference with 4:23 left in the 3rd and it lead to the Big Red go ahead goal. I did not see either late penalty though. The Daily Gazette summarizing last night's game states that Sak is out of the lineup with an injury.
    Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Vecchione gets my vote for the Hobey. What a dynamic player.

As far as the officiating goes, you can't complain because they got you back in the game with four straight power plays in the second period including the 2 man adv where Vecchione scored to make it 3-2. Cornell was controlling the game before the officials took over so it should come as no surprise that they would turn the tables on you guys in the third. Life in the ECAC.

I'm looking forward to next week's game at Bright Landry. Should be a barn burner.
      Last edited by Skate79; 02-04-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
        Congrats to Cornell for a nice win.
        I hope the team learned 2 things:
        - your goalie is not going to be able to save the day every time
        - if you don't show up for the full 60 minutes, you will not win a game

I was VERY disappointed in the first period. It was a complete breakdown of the systems in place and of what the team had been doing on the ice for the whole year. WT*? Kuddos to a very solid Cornell team for disrupting us that way and capitalizing on it.

Hope the whole team shows up tonight and gets things back in gear. We NEED those points.
        Great game Mike V.. awesome effort..
        The goalie needs to make the saves he should (two unhugged posts is a breakdown) and save you on 1 toughy a game..
        Yes there were far too many breakdowns in front of him but not all the D's fault - most but not all..

Since when is it Interference when the defender jumps on your back and initiates the contact.. questionable ref call at critical time late..

GO U...

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Vecchione gets my vote for the Hobey. What a dynamic player.

As far as the officiating goes, you can't complain because they got you back in the game with four straight power plays in the second period including the 2 man adv where Vecchione scored to make it 3-2. Cornell was controlling the game before the officials took over so it should come as no surprise that they would turn the tables on you guys in the third. Life in the ECAC.

I'm looking forward to next week's game at Bright Landry. Should be a barn burner.
          There is always room to complain about the refs - especially since "make up calls" aren't supposed to exist..
          and Phantom calls make them look silly ..along with stopping action to check the "mac" for obvious stuff..

How about the tackle and skate grab on Supinski in the first period without a call..

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
            There is always room to complain about the refs - especially since "make up calls" aren't supposed to exist..
            and Phantom calls make them look silly ..along with stopping action to check the "mac" for obvious stuff..

How about the tackle and skate grab on Supinski in the first period without a call..
            Maybe they aren't supposed to exist but in your case, it got you back in the game which leaves no room for complaining. Without those calls, I think Cornell wins going away. Sorry but that is the way I saw the game and I can't stand the Big Red. They were kicking your butts in the first period. There were plenty of non calls throughout the game. I'm not saying this is the way to ref a game and MacDonald is not an "A" level official by any stretch. I just think you have to put all that aside and play the best you can for 60 minutes.

Comment

What a disaster the 1st period was.. even worse than the first period against Clarkson earlier in the year. 3-4 major defensive breakdowns and 5x3 PP. Saying Kupsky was hung out to dry doesn't even touch it. Maybe Sak would have made the save on the 2nd goal and maybe he would have controlled rebounds a little better throughout the game.. but maybe not. It was definitely a weird feeling game with late start and the constant media timeouts and the too many times the refs kept checking the video replays. Reffing certainly had nothing to do with the ultimate outcome, though it does bug me that U essentially got interference penalties when Big Red players ran them over.. This whole tightened interference calls is really out of control and showed last night with several questionable calls on both teams.

Certainly hope that Sak is not out for any extended time as that will be a big problem. Kupsky is very immobile when he goes down and is a rebound machine. Sak had had rebound problems but is doing much better with it this year. Also very surprised not to see Dufour & ZachE in the lineup - have to feel that their speed, size and physicality would have helped. Don't know if Dufour is still out for the DQ or just in coaches' doghouse for antics in Potsdam.

Hopefully can have a better effort tonight and salvage some important points in the standings.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Maybe they aren't supposed to exist but in your case, it got you back in the game which leaves no room for complaining. Without those calls, I think Cornell wins going away. Sorry but that is the way I saw the game and I can't stand the Big Red. They were kicking your butts in the first period. There were plenty of non calls throughout the game. I'm not saying this is the way to ref a game and MacDonald is not an "A" level official by any stretch. I just think you have to put all that aside and play the best you can for 60 minutes.
                Oh I totally agree with you - they are huge and use their size .. Legally? not all the time.. but that is playoff hockey
                and it's time to get used to it.. They wanted it far more than Union did ... The U did not play well last night..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  What a disaster the 1st period was.. even worse than the first period against Clarkson earlier in the year. 3-4 major defensive breakdowns and 5x3 PP. Saying Kupsky was hung out to dry doesn't even touch it. Maybe Sak would have made the save on the 2nd goal and maybe he would have controlled rebounds a little better throughout the game.. but maybe not. It was definitely a weird feeling game with late start and the constant media timeouts and the too many times the refs kept checking the video replays. Reffing certainly had nothing to do with the ultimate outcome, though it does bug me that U essentially got interference penalties when Big Red players ran them over.. This whole tightened interference calls is really out of control and showed last night with several questionable calls on both teams.

Certainly hope that Sak is not out for any extended time as that will be a big problem. Kupsky is very immobile when he goes down and is a rebound machine. Sak had had rebound problems but is doing much better with it this year. Also very surprised not to see Dufour & ZachE in the lineup - have to feel that their speed, size and physicality would have helped. Don't know if Dufour is still out for the DQ or just in coaches' doghouse for antics in Potsdam.

Hopefully can have a better effort tonight and salvage some important points in the standings.
                  Considering his support in the first period - Kupsky played ok.. But the two goals on the posts (one in the first and that goal line shot in the 3rd)
                  I think Sak would have eaten those up.. Not playing since November leaves one rusty...

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                    Considering his support in the first period - Kupsky played ok.. But the two goals on the posts (one in the first and that goal line shot in the 3rd)
                    I think Sak would have eaten those up.. Not playing since November leaves one rusty...
                    It was tough spot for Kupsky to be in last night, and agree he did OK.. The way Sak had been playing maybe would have made a difference, but it is what it is and have to move on.

And big congrats to Vecks on setting the new record! Here's hoping he adds another 20+ points to it before the season ends!!
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Would love to see Vech hold the post season scoring record as well. This is the unofficial tally with Carr leading the pack. If anyone has the official numbers in the D1 era I would love to see it.

Unofficial tally of postseason points and it is certainly driven by the number of games and team success.

Carr 26 pts 25 games
                      Novak 22 pts 26 games
                      Champ 21 pts 25 games
                      Sullivan 21 pts 24 games
                      Bodie 18 pts. 25 games
                      Vech 17pts. 15 games
                      Jooris 16 pts 16 games
                      Ghost 14 pts. 21 games
                      Hatch 14 pts 25 games

Comment

Overheard at the rink yesterday: we might be seeing more of Kupsky in the coming games.
                        Let's go Union !
                        ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                        ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                        NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Take the 2 points and run ........got to finish top four and get the bye plus home ice.....

Let's go U !

Comment

relief - a feeling of reassurance and relaxation following release from anxiety or distress.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                              Take the 2 points and run ........
                              Couldn't have put it better!
                              Kupsky looked a lot less rusty than last night, hopefully he gets a bit more confidence in his game going forward.
                              A very gritty effort by the whole team, against a good Colgate team (totally different game from Colgate than against RPI).
                              Let's move past this week-end's awkward team slump and get moving.
                              On to Harvard!!!!!!
                              Let's go Union !

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                relief - a feeling of reassurance and relaxation following release from anxiety or distress.

I'm going to need a lot of relaxation after that game!
                                Let's go Union !

Comment

Working...
                                X