Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Originally posted by Nottme View Post
    Dutchman et al, I have watched only a few U games this season... when U won the NCAA players like Sullivan, Hatch, Novak and some frosh named Vecchione really stepped up and contributed to the team's success during their Championship run. Going into the late season and playoffs does U have that kind of depth this year?
    Honestly? I don't think so ...
    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-24-2017, 12:08 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Honestly? I don't think so ...
      I'd agree.. the top 2 lines three years ago were practically interchangeable, the 3rd liners all had 20+ points, and the 4th line was a defensive buzzsaw. This year's 2nd line is starting to come together, but beyond that will be lucky to have one or two other forwards reach double digits. The defense similarly lacks depth beyond Taylor & DeSimone and doesn't have anyone approaching Bodie or Ghost. Sak has been looking good recently and maybe at a Stevens level, but would like to see consistently over a stretch of games.

However, there are reasons for optimism as the frosh & sophs continue to develop. Brown & Maier have improved markedly from early in the season, and Kolias is cutting down on mistakes on D. Still is probably not reasonable to expect 3 potent lines and 4 dynamic d-men by the end of the season. BUT that doesn't mean this team can't be very successful and take home some hardware. Having the top line in college hockey and reasonably good goaltending means U can beat anyone on any given night, especially if they give a defensive effort like they did against Harvard. The problem is that U can also go long periods without giving top effort and can be beat by anyone. Some teams have had makeups like this and been very successful in post-season, and others flame out early. Harvard was a bit like this last year with the Vesey line and won a league title, but lost in first round of NCAAs. My feeling is that if U can get a top 4 and win their first round playoff series, they could do something similar..
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I thought this was a mistake on the schedule I saw, but I just got an email from the ticket office to confirm...

The next home game - Friday, Feb 3rd vs Cornell - is an 8:30pm start.

I'm curious...does anyone know why?
        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
          I'd agree.. the top 2 lines three years ago were practically interchangeable, the 3rd liners all had 20+ points, and the 4th line was a defensive buzzsaw. This year's 2nd line is starting to come together, but beyond that will be lucky to have one or two other forwards reach double digits. The defense similarly lacks depth beyond Taylor & DeSimone and doesn't have anyone approaching Bodie or Ghost. Sak has been looking good recently and maybe at a Stevens level, but would like to see consistently over a stretch of games.

However, there are reasons for optimism as the frosh & sophs continue to develop. Brown & Maier have improved markedly from early in the season, and Kolias is cutting down on mistakes on D. Still is probably not reasonable to expect 3 potent lines and 4 dynamic d-men by the end of the season. BUT that doesn't mean this team can't be very successful and take home some hardware. Having the top line in college hockey and reasonably good goaltending means U can beat anyone on any given night, especially if they give a defensive effort like they did against Harvard. The problem is that U can also go long periods without giving top effort and can be beat by anyone. Some teams have had makeups like this and been very successful in post-season, and others flame out early. Harvard was a bit like this last year with the Vesey line and won a league title, but lost in first round of NCAAs. My feeling is that if U can get a top 4 and win their first round playoff series, they could do something similar..
          Three years ago did you have the same number of freshman and sophs playing full time?
          When you seek to have lines come together lost time is a killer and yet B Taylor and Eli (starting centers) have both been out more than in. The Meier line started playing well and Vidmar got hurt - so
          they shuffled 2 lines - Then B Taylor went down and they shuffled some more.. These kids have done well considering the obstacles they have managed to survive
          (didn't say overcome because it was a struggle).. This weekend will be the best indicator you could ask for - tough teams in tough environs and a chance to show exactly
          what they are and how much they really want it..

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
            Three years ago did you have the same number of freshman and sophs playing full time?
            When you seek to have lines come together lost time is a killer and yet B Taylor and Eli (starting centers) have both been out more than in. The Meier line started playing well and Vidmar got hurt - so
            they shuffled 2 lines - Then B Taylor went down and they shuffled some more.. These kids have done well considering the obstacles they have managed to survive
            (didn't say overcome because it was a struggle).. This weekend will be the best indicator you could ask for - tough teams in tough environs and a chance to show exactly
            what they are and how much they really want it..
            Right now with the current players out, this years team is way younger than 3 years ago. Lineup for Harvard had 12 frosh/sophs and 7 upperclassmen. The NC game 3 years ago had 11 upperclassmen and 8 underclass. It depends on the lineups though, as this years team is more of a 50/50 split when Eli, Pontarelli, & Krug are in the lineup (replacing Dufour, Zach & Newhouse). Still, the team 3 years ago was very experienced and had played in a lot of big post-season games in the seasons prior, and IMO that helped the newcomers immensely. Eli & Pontarelli haven't come close to their point totals since.

The remaining games will tell a lot about this team. Very hard road games in the NC and Cornell/Gate, as well as rematches with Harvard & Quinnipiac who will undoubtedly be looking for payback. No easy games left.
            Last edited by ADK11; 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

RPI-TV has the Mayors Cup on-line
              http://rpitv.org/productions/1200-me...ion-mayors-cup
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I really like this team and I am hoping they can keep up their winning ways. Hopefully others can continue to contribute offensively. When Union won the NC they had two lines that contributed in a big way offensively and four lines that could play against anyone. Hatch, Carr, Champ, Novak, Sullivan and Vech all produced some big time goals. Throw in Ghost and Bodie and it was a very special group. If you look at this group they are probably all among the top scorers for Union in post season play and they probably also played the most games. It would be great to see this team continue to build on its success and get a bye then home playoff series. Lots of hockey to go though and no easy games down the stretch.
                Last edited by Union27; 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Clarkson is returning to Cheel Arena for the first time since December 3
                  We are going to have to fight through Clarkson's Big Defensemen.
                  #10 Kevin Tansey
                  D 6' 4" 224 lbs Senior
                  #44 Terrance Amorosa
                  D 6' 2" 199 lbs Junior
                  #2 James de Haas
                  D 6' 3" 216 lbs Senior
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

#10 Kevin Tansey
                    D 6' 4" 224 lbs Senior
                    #44 Terrance Amorosa
                    D 6' 2" 199 lbs Junior
                    #2 James de Haas
                    D 6' 3" 216 lbs Senior
                    If you are planning on having Union match up with Tansey, you better be sending them to the ECHL, Missouri to be exact. He graduated last year.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                      If you are planning on having Union match up with Tansey, you better be sending them to the ECHL, Missouri to be exact. He graduated last year.
                      Woops
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Overtime at RPI
                        https://youtu.be/2Gp36bC66II
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

#10 Kevin Tansey
                          D 6' 4" 224 lbs Senior
                          #44 Terrance Amorosa
                          D 6' 2" 199 lbs Junior
                          #2 James de Haas
                          D 6' 3" 216 lbs Senior
                          Unfortunately this is our weak spot this year with losing Geiger and Tansey we lost so many important minutes, when we are off our game just a bit then it goes south and quick, you saw us on our game at Messa, to be honest I really don't see us sweeping U so I really think this could be like our Harvard game, Union very easily can put up a touchdown on us or very easily be held to 1-2 goals, we will see which Clarkson team shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                            you saw us on our game at Messa
                            Yes, and you really handed it to us. When you are "on" you are really on. You totally dominated that game from start to finish.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                              I really like this team and I am hoping they can keep up their winning ways. Hopefully others can continue to contribute offensively. When Union won the NC they had two lines that contributed in a big way offensively and four lines that could play against anyone. Hatch, Carr, Champ, Novak, Sullivan and Vech all produced some big time goals. Throw in Ghost and Bodie and it was a very special group. If you look at this group they are probably all among the top scorers for Union in post season play and they probably also played the most games. It would be great to see this team continue to build on its success and get a bye then home playoff series. Lots of hockey to go though and no easy games down the stretch.
                              I think the North Country trip will tell a lot about the boys' resolve. It's never an easy trip, but when Clarkson & SLU are good, it's brutal. At least the Maier line got on the board twice against RPI when the Vecchione line didn't, so I'm hoping that carries over. I think Scarfo & Walker have been playing better all-around games lately, so they may be ready to put points on the board. And of course, Sak needs to be Sak.

If I recall correctly, Clarkson streams the TV broadcast for free on their athletics site.
                              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                                I think the North Country trip will tell a lot about the boys' resolve. It's never an easy trip, but when Clarkson & SLU are good, it's brutal. At least the Maier line got on the board twice against RPI when the Vecchione line didn't, so I'm hoping that carries over. I think Scarfo & Walker have been playing better all-around games lately, so they may be ready to put points on the board. And of course, Sak needs to be Sak.

If I recall correctly, Clarkson streams the TV broadcast for free on their athletics site.
                                As does SLU. In fact, all but one of the non-ivies in the league do so. Scrooges.

Comment

Working...
                                X