Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
    That top line just doesn't stop coming! They had to be close to 25:00-30:00 tonight and I really thought they were going to score on more than a few occasions, unbelievable effort by our penalty kill and Kielly tonight. I personally was really impressed with #3 Kolias boy can he skate he should be a good one for quite awhile. Obviously on the Clarkson side the all freshmen line really was impressive tonight, Rempal is a special talent and playing with someone in Brosseau who he's played 3 years of junior hockey with it helps and then you add Sturm to that line and he seems to do be in the right place at the right time, good skater who is very responsible in his own end. Amorosa was finally back and played a weekend set after looking a bit rusty against Princeton, it's quite the luxury to have him back and is already making an impact on the PP and with the defensive unit as a whole. Best of luck and see you again in the North Country!
    Looking forward to the return trip! It was a fun series (and we need more than 1 point!!!).

Our first period screwed us over. We did not have the required intensity. 2 very nice goals by Clarkson on their first 7 shots.

PP fail again... sigh... another 5 on 3 for more than one minute, no score
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      We need to fix the power play.
      With all of the offensive fire power on that first unit PP they should be killing it... But they are undisciplined
      It's great to cycle but you need to be patient and disciplined to get a serious shot -
      they usually have #18 in the goalies face so there is a screen and somebody to tie up 1 defender.
      5 on 3 and the shot gets blocked by the point man.. Somebody had to have a better shot than that...

Comment

In three out of the last four games, the other team has taken a two goal lead in the first period - hopefully just a learning opportunity. On to Quinnipiac (and Princeton) after a few weeks of rest.
        Let's Go Union!!

Comment

If someone told me Union would be 4-1-1 after their first 6 ECAC league games. I would have said take it and run.....

IMO the ECAC is among the toughest leagues top to bottom in college hockey. Better bring your A game for 60 minutes and sometimes 65 minutes to get two points in this league.

We need more scoring depth to keep winning especially come crunch time in Feb and the playoffs.

Still a very good start to league play. Go U !

Comment

Union transfer to Utica College Roman Ammirato is the leading scorer in D3 for the 6-0 nationally ranked Pioneers. I see he played 32 games his frosh season and about 17 his soph season, what can you tell me about him, just curious ?
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Union transfer to Utica College Roman Ammirato is the leading scorer in D3 for the 6-0 nationally ranked Pioneers. I see he played 32 games his frosh season and about 17 his soph season, what can you tell me about him, just curious ?
              An established D1 player playing with D3 players - I wouldn't have expected less..
              Who knows why anyone leaves a prestigious and D1 college ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                An established D1 player playing with D3 players - I wouldn't have expected less..
                Who knows why anyone leaves a prestigious and D1 college ??
                That's ridiculous, there are MANY D1 to D3 transfers that aren't doing much at all, check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  That's ridiculous, there are MANY D1 to D3 transfers that aren't doing much at all, check it out.
                  And how many of those "MANY transfers" were "established" and valuable enough to play that many games as a freshman and Sophomore?
                  Most transfer because they can't get enough ice time or can't handle the expected work load or coach.. and there may be many of those types.
                  This was a young man who was a good skater, good with the stick and could also check.. and yes - I expected no less than what he has put up there..

Comment

Ammirato is fast, has a great motor, and a decent stick and the coaches gave him a lot of ice time as a frosh and the first half of last year. But he was undersized and didn't make an impact offensively, so ended up in the stands as the coaches gave more icetime to last year's large freshman class. I'm sure he knew his game time would be limited at U going forward and wanted more playing time. BTW there absolutely is no guarantee that a player who spends time in D-1 will do well in D-3, so is a credit to Roman that he is making the most of this opportunity. At U he would have been odd man out.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Thanks ADK11, that's the articulate type of answer I was looking for.

Comment

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...e-of-Year.html

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It was great to watch to Jooris and Ghost play against each other in the Rangers 3-2 win on Friday. Each picked up a point via a Jooris assist and Ghost with a goal. Hopefully we will be watching Vech at this level as well at some point.
                              As good as the Vidmar-Vech-Foo line is not sure if I would take them over the Carr-Welsh--Jooris line.
                              IMO U still needs to get more contributions from the other lines hopefully we start to see a pick up sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                                It was great to watch to Jooris and Ghost play against each other in the Rangers 3-2 win on Friday. Each picked up a point via a Jooris assist and Ghost with a goal. Hopefully we will be watching Vech at this level as well at some point.
                                As good as the Vidmar-Vech-Foo line is not sure if I would take them over the Carr-Welsh--Jooris line.
                                IMO U still needs to get more contributions from the other lines hopefully we start to see a pick up sooner rather than later.
                                I've wondered about that too. Here are some combined points stats on previous top line combos (I think these are the top ones):

14-15 Champ-Vecks-Wilkins 128 pts (39 games)
                                13-14 Champ-Carr-Vecks 125 pts (42 games)
                                11-12 Welsh-Carr-Jooris 114 pts (41 games)
                                10-11 Welsh-Carr-Jooris 104 pts (40 games)

The VFV line currently has an astounding 65 points after only 13 games, so they are on pace to become the most prolific line combo over a season. I don't really expect them to keep up this pace, as the schedule gets much tougher over the next month & half with 4 likely top ten teams plus two games at red hot Vermont, but they certainly have a good chance to break the 2015 point mark.

Will this make them the best line in U history? It’s debatable, as there are a lot of variables involved including supporting cast, number of games played, schedule strength, etc. But I do think this is a special line that, more than any others in the past, is really the sum of its parts. What really stands out is the chemistry and how quickly they pass puck. They aren’t really the fastest skaters in college hockey but their ability to make really sharp passes at full speed and convert them into goals is pretty incredible. There’s an old mantra in coaching that nobody can outskate a passed puck (i.e. its faster to pass the puck up ice than to skate it) and that is what makes this line so “fast”. Foo’s game in particular has really evolved from “shoot first ask questions later” to Mr. Beautiful Pass. I’ve never seen a Union line that is so unselfish and so in synch with each other on the ice. Their ability to do this consistently for 60+ minutes a night makes them especially dangerous later in games when opponents are getting tired chasing them. I’m not sure how far this team can really go given the issues with special teams, team defense & goaltending, but I think its going to be a pretty exciting season.
                                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X