Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Any idea why the Cornell game is an 8:30 start?

Comment

Box says Union was 0-4 on the PP ? Don't they play on the same line together ?
      Last edited by sshablak; 01-20-2017, 07:45 AM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Box says Union was 0-4 on the PP ? Don't they play on the same line together ?
        He's trying to tell you the line's shot totals for the game, but for some reason is describing them in terms of plate appearances.

Comment

I'm old, ty.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            I'm old, ty.
            Shabby:
            How are the Raiders coming along? How are you going to do this weekend? We need someone to cheer for
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Great team photo after the Mayor's cup.
              http://www.saratogian.com/sports/201...=topstoriesrot
              Attendance 5,255.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 01-21-2017, 05:08 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

This is one of the quietest forums for a college sports team I have ever seen.
                We have a winning team with great talent and drive and only 20 pages this far into the season..

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                  This is one of the quietest forums for a college sports team I have ever seen.
                  We have a winning team with great talent and drive and only 20 pages this far into the season..

Silent but deadly

I'm pretty sure we have a very decent team. How decent is the question. We are able to get away with victories, which is good, and I feel better about the team now than earlier in the year: we seem to have more depth and better goaltending. I'm still not sure on a national level how high up we really are, and what it means for the rest of the season. We beat Harvard, but lost against BU and North Dakota... At this point, I'd be happy with one banner this year, ideally more of course, but one would be nice.
                  Let's go Union !
                  ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                  ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                  NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how the team handles going to the North Country next weekend. Very nice to seeing some other players adding to the offensive mix. Going into Feb and Playoffs this will be key. Hard to win at that time of year with just one dominant line. I really like the resilience of this team like others I am still not sure how good they really are. Right now at #6 in Pairwise they are in with some pretty elite teams. I do know this team can not take a period/game off and still win.
                    Lots of big games left starting with next Friday night.
                    Would love to see them lock up a first round bye and home ice for the first/second round of the playoffs. But let's take it one game at time and hope they can keep building the momentum.
                    Go U !!

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                      But let's take it one game at a time and hope they can keep building the momentum.
                      Go U !!
                      - !0 league matches, 5 against ranked opponents (USCHO)
                      - 6 on the road
                      - League parity
                      - Bring your "A" game or lose (RPI vs Harvard)
                      - All tough opponents
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                        Silent but deadly

I'm pretty sure we have a very decent team. How decent is the question. We are able to get away with victories, which is good, and I feel better about the team now than earlier in the year: we seem to have more depth and better goaltending. I'm still not sure on a national level how high up we really are, and what it means for the rest of the season. We beat Harvard, but lost against BU and North Dakota... At this point, I'd be happy with one banner this year, ideally more of course, but one would be nice.
                        I think they might be a bit more than just "decent".. They haven't been blown out by anyone since that early 4-0 Michigan
                        game when the player mix was vastly modified from the night before. They are in every game and don't ever quit.
                        Yes they have some shaky moments but seem to cover them up quickly, they take some penalties that raise the eyebrows
                        but the only thing that worries me is the passes to nowhere in particular and the sometime inability to put one on the tape.
                        for a team that plays this many first and second year players they have come together well.. Go U

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          - !0 league matches, 5 against ranked opponents (USCHO)
                          - 6 on the road
                          - League parity
                          - Bring your "A" game or lose (RPI vs Harvard)
                          - All tough opponents
                          Every team that laces the skates on can beat any other in any game..
                          many variables decide a game and talent / skill many times is not the deciding factor..
                          Hard work and desire are more likely the deciding factors.. and you are absolutely
                          correct - Bring your "A" game or lose..

Comment

Clarkson is a very good and a very physical team. Casey Jones takes great pride in that "physicality". In our first matchup. Clarkson was called for 22 minutes in penalties, but we could not capitalize. They are the only ECAC team we have lost to thus far. Since then (last 5 games) Clarkson's penalty minutes per game is closer to ours at 9-10.

Last weekend Clarkson had a 3-1 lead over Cornell, before letting the Big Red escape with a tie. They also led Colgate for two periods before losing 3-2. Clarkson has not won in Hamilton since 2006-2007.

Clarkson is 2-2-1 in their last 5 scoring 3.8 goals/game while giving up 2.2 goals/game. Helping their average, they scored 6 against RPI and 7 against Brown. The previous month (December) they gave up 7 to Harvard and 8 to Northeastern.

They are 4-6-1 at home.

While North Dakota and BU were disappointments, I think it helped elevate our game against more physical teams.

So, "Let's get physical"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UfAgQIQ9M

PS - St. Lawrence had 49 minutes of penalties against Cornell
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Dutchman et al, I have watched only a few U games this season... when U won the NCAA players like Sullivan, Hatch, Novak and some frosh named Vecchione really stepped up and contributed to the teams success during their Championship run. Going into the late season and playoffs does U have that kind of depth this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Nottme View Post
                                Dutchman et al, I have watched only a few U games this season... when U won the NCAA players like Sullivan, Hatch, Novak and some frosh named Vecchione really stepped up and contributed to the teams success during their Championship run. Going into the late season and playoffs does U have that kind of depth this year?
                                Depth is definitely increasing as the season goes on. The question is how deep is it going to get? The next couple of week ends will be important for that very reason: who is able to contribute.
                                During the NCAA championship year, our second to last loss of the season was against RPI at the mayor's cup (if I remember correctly), where fights broke out at the end, and it was a really messy game. A handful of senior players got suspended and it gave the team a chance to show what it could do without those guys, and gave more players a chance to demonstrate their skill and guts on the ice. Everyone rallied together and we pulled through. Players with more experience and players with very little/less experience were able to make the team work, giving team cohesion and depth a huge boost.
                                Yes we did loose the following week's game against Saint Lawrence (2-1) but I still think morale and team confidence increased because of that.
                                Let's go Union !
                                ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                                ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                                NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X