Clear All

Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Moving on .... to the AHA
    Don't look now but:
    (1) Sacred Heart knocked off Merrimack
    (2) Air Force beat BC
    (3) Bently clobbered UNH
    Atlantic Hockey is 3-0 against HE and a whopping .571 interconference

Who do these people think they are for cripes sake?

Nothing ever gets easier ...... we had better be ready to play some serious hockey these next two weeks.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Vas Kolias, our 5'10", 165 lbs (soaking wet) freshmen defenseman is leading the team in block shots with 6. He was the BU commit.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Will be an interesting year for RB. Now three seasons removed from the glory of the championship, to which many ascribe Nate Leaman's signature also , RB owns the team. He is an impressive guy who preaches success in the classroom as a key to success on the ice. Can he get Union back in the hunt? The challenge is daunting, what with the parity in the ECAC and college hockey in general. 2014 seemed improbable just a few years earlier. Ricks's great capacity as a coach would seem to augur well for eventual contender status.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
          The challenge is daunting, what with the parity in the ECAC and college hockey in general. 2014 seemed improbable just a few years earlier. Ricks's great capacity as a coach would seem to augur well for eventual contender status.
          Agreed. We just don't have any "sustainable competitive advantage". The AHA is getting stronger, the ECAC is ridiculous and the elite national teams are loaded with draft picks. I am going to be happy with any top half finish.

That being said, I thought I did see a glimmer of something that reminded me of the 2014 team in that first game at Michigan. Assuming no injuries, we have got to improve over last year. The question is how much? We have 4 AHA games coming up. A good team wins the games they are supposed to win but the AHA is on a roll and "Armed for Bear". AHA teams have embarrassed BC, UNH and Merrimack. The Sacred Heart game will be their first at home. We will know in two weeks.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Vas Kolias, our 5'10", 165 lbs (soaking wet) freshmen defenseman is leading the team in block shots with 6. He was the BU commit.
            As is always the case in any competitive venture "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog".. Pit bulls aren't big dogs..
            Have to like what I've seen so far from the D in general.. Only a few instances of running around chasing the puck, and luckily
            only finding those in the back of the net once or twice. Back checking has been pretty good also, and just like in game 1
            they need to stay focused and driven and not give in to becoming spectators (as was the case a couple times in game 2)..

The talent is a good mix, with upper class leaders and some fiery youngsters. It will take a couple games to finalize the lines and pairings and then they should be just fine..

Comment

I thought the coaching staff was a little too cute with their lineup changes for the second Michigan game. Union played a very complete first game, outshot Michigan 40-23, and had momentum. Why would Bennett sit Sak and the defensemen who had all won starting jobs and helped the team to a quality win? These games count, and if the coaches want to experiment, they should go back to playing a preseason game. This weekend, I hope we see the intensity of last Friday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                This weekend, I hope we see the intensity of last Friday's game.
                We will need it !! This is not your father's AHA.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                  I thought the coaching staff was a little too cute with their lineup changes for the second Michigan game. Union played a very complete first game, outshot Michigan 40-23, and had momentum. Why would Bennett sit Sak and the defensemen who had all won starting jobs and helped the team to a quality win? These games count, and if the coaches want to experiment, they should go back to playing a preseason game. This weekend, I hope we see the intensity of last Friday's game.
                  Hopefully Every man on that team worked hard to get ready and were all ready and willing to play. And this was in Michigan after all. I'm sure the intent is to be the best you can be by the first league game and the only way you know if you are playing your best "game guys" is to actually see them in a game. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see Joe Young in net this weekend. I'm also sure they got some dings and bruises this early in the season so there may be additional changes this week too.
                  In game two the coaches shuffled guys around looking for something that meshed (michigan certainly changed the way they played D and forechecked between games).

Comment

American International is returning 10 of 11 of its top scorers and has brought in a freshman class of 12. Their goalie is returning. New Coach. New Home. Their leading scorer is their captain.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – NCAA Division I men's ice hockey will now be a downtown staple when the American International College (AIC) Division I Men's Ice Hockey program makes Springfield's MassMutual Center the team's home rink. American International College President Vince Maniaci stated, "AIC is proud to be the only Division I men's ice hockey team able to call Springfield, Massachusetts home. Partnering with the MassMutual Center allows fans to enjoy a high level of competition while supporting many of our hometown players." Playing all home contests at the MassMutual Center, as well as holding practices, the Yellow Jackets' season opener is scheduled for Friday, October 14 at 7:05 p.m. when new Head Coach Eric Lang's team takes on Union College, the 2014 national champions, as part of AIC's Homecoming Weekend 2016 festivities. Lang, who is a two-time AIC alumnus, has returned to his alma mater after spending the last four seasons on the bench at Army West Point as an assistant coach. Lang is honored to be leading the talented Yellow Jackets and excited to be playing at the MassMutual Center. "What an amazing day for AIC hockey. To be playing and practicing a mile away from AIC's campus in the heart of downtown Springfield, and to be able to call the MassMutual Center our home, is a surreal feeling. I am ecstatic for our student-athletes, fans, and our alums. As our team is trying to build a new legacy, having a first-class facility like the MassMutual Center that we can call our own, let's everyone know how serious AIC is about building a winning men's ice hockey program. With only 60 Division I men's ice hockey teams in the country, this new partnership promises to bring exciting, high-level college hockey to Springfield," Lang said.

One shift at a time boys, one shift at a time.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Anyone know anything about the Union radio broadcaster? Listening to the AIC game. New station, new voice. I liked the guys who did it the last few years. No color guy now. This dude is wacked. What up?

Comment

Ugly, but I will take the win.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                          Anyone know anything about the Union radio broadcaster? Listening to the AIC game. New station, new voice. I liked the guys who did it the last few years. No color guy now. This dude is wacked. What up?
                          The guy tonight, Derek Pollacchi, is apparently doing road games. DuBrey is still doing home games.

Comment

Very ugly. Thought we were going back to last year's "Friday night frights".... with blown 3rd period leads.
                            Some strange line combinations out there tonight. Hopefully better tomorrow

Comment

The Pioneers will face Union in their home opener at Webster Bank Arena on Saturday at 2:00pm. ESPN's John Buccigross will drop the ceremonial puck at the beginning of the game. They have been on the road the past 4 weeks. This is their first home matchup. There two loses have been against Army at West Point. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe we have ever lost at Webster Bank Arena.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-15-2016, 06:41 AM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

no better way to describe it!

The one positive I took away from last night was the almost lack of blind passes (there was one that I can remember).
                                Anemic power play. You CANNOT pass the puck around, from static player to static player, and expect any openings.
                                We still cannot play team that defend up high at the blue line.
                                Alex was left out to dry multiple times (there were at least 2 "2-on-1" and one "3-on-1" in the first period). Kuddos to the defenseman that saved our butt on the 3 on 1, it was a ghost move

AIC was quick, with a lot of energy. They panicked a bit at times it seems, but they could have won this with a bit more discipline, and they would have deserved the win.
                                I had serious doubts about some of the calls the refs made... mostly in our favor...

Best player last night IMO: DeSimone
                                Special mention to Pontarelli, he reminds me of Daniel Carr a bit: he fights a lot and tries a lot. He doesn't quite have that slap shot yet Also, was he player center in some shifts???
                                Let's go Union !
                                ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                                ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                                NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X