Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

On to RPI .....
    After this weekend, Vecchione should be leading D1 in scoring.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

A pretty good effort overall. Finally a good game by Kupsky!!! He has good movement. He needs to improve in puck tracking and rebound control, and he'll be good competition for Alex.
      Most players on the ice were trying. Vecchione of course, but also all his helpers. Rinaldi has something to his offensive game, it'll be interesting to see how he develops.
      WAY too many penalties, all but one not necessary.
      Power play sigh... We still cannot score on a 5 on 3, which baffles me a bit...

RPI will be a big test!
      Let's go Union !
      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
        Power play sigh... We still cannot score on a 5 on 3, which baffles me a bit...
        They beat the 5 on 3 many times - but somehow always hit the goalie in the chest...

Comment

I have been in the Mediterranean Sea on a 2 week cruise visiting and eating my way around Italy, Spain, Portugal, France and Gibraltar(UK). I come back and with less than one week to go before RPI and Union kick off the ECAC campaign and I find only 22 contestants. Come on people. You have until Friday at 7PM to get your picks in or amend your previous picks. If doing an amendment just give me a new post with your revised picks and state that they are revised.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ings-2016-2017
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Vech is a stud....great young man and terrific player/leader so glad he stayed
            Looks like Brassard had a nice weekend as well.

A very good weekend and a nice start to the year

Comment

RPI is much better than their record shows:
              • They are a much better team when playing in Troy (2013-2016)
              • They are undefeated this year at home
              • They view league play (ECAC) as paramount and step up.
              • They are returning 70% of their scoring and most of the key players.
              • Hackett proved last year that he is an able fill-in for Kasdorf and finished with a respectable .918
              • They are 6th in the nation in penalty kill (92.9)
              • Bourbonnais leads the nation in short-handed goals (2)
              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-23-2016, 06:39 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Jooris gets his first goal as a Ranger !

Comment

The Rte 7 Rivalry ........throw the records out the window.....

Let's go U !

Comment

It's so true - none of the statistics matter when these teams face off. I'm hoping that the Dutchmen can keep the penalties to a minimum and it will be interesting to see how RPI attempts to handle the Vidmar-Vecchione-Foo line. Go U!
                    Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Hard to win in the ECAC with just one great line. We need scoring and production from others to get some balance.

Get 4 lines rolling and stay out of the box !

Comment

You still have time to get your picks into the ECAC Pick the Standings Contest. Friday at 7PM is the deadline.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ings-2016-2017
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

While I would like nothing better than a sweep of RPI this weekend, the reality is that this could be a better RPI team than last years. If they shore up goaltending, and add some offense, they could be one of the better RPI teams to come along in a while.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Congrats to Vecks on league POW honors and being national scoring leader. 8 points is pretty phenomenal, regardless of competition. He is a very special player and could challenge Carr for #1 on all-time scoring list.

Obviously happy with the results this past weekend. The first line has looked fantastic at times. Vidmar has really sweet hands for a big guy and really complements Foo & Vecks. Supinski is starting to look like the playmaker that he hinted at last season. Reminds me a bit of Prez in how he can rather quietly get 1-2 points in a game. Taylor is playing really well and so far Brassard & DeSimone look improved.

However.. these last 4 games were not the toughest competition U will see and things will get much tougher starting next weekend. Coming into the season I saw three main areas that needed improvement in order for the team to have success (i.e. top 6 in league, possible NCAAs): 1) improved offensive depth 2) significant reduction in defensive breakdowns/improved PK 3) consistently good to very good goaltending. So far I would say its been a mixed bag.

The first line plus Supinski look great up front, but there seems to be no depth beyond the 1st line/PP unit. Scarfo and Pontarelli have been disappointing so far and nobody else has really stepped up yet. The freshmen hopefully will get in the swing of it, but will need more depth pretty soon so teams just don't pound on the Vecks line all night.

The D has tightened up a bit, but there still are enough major miscues and odd-man rushes to be a concern. The PK looked good this last weekend but was pretty bad prior to that - hopefully just growing pains.

Goaltending has not been good so far. Alex has like an 86% save percent and looks like he has the same problems as the past couple years with lack of rebound control and trouble with shots through traffic. Kupsky actually had a pretty good game Saturday, but still seems a little over-reactive/inconsistent at times. Would not be surprised to see him get another start this weekend. Hopefully one of them pulls it together or it could be tough season again in league play.
                            Last edited by ADK11; 10-26-2016, 07:39 AM.
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

The past two seasons (post-National Championship), Union seems to have gotten off to a good start against the non-conference opponents, but then the boys hit a wall the second league play begins. Yes, it's better teams and better competition, but they seem to shoot themselves in the foot - bad penalties and shaky goaltending. Is this something in their heads?
                              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                                The past two seasons (post-National Championship), Union seems to have gotten off to a good start against the non-conference opponents, but then the boys hit a wall the second league play begins. Yes, it's better teams and better competition, but they seem to shoot themselves in the foot - bad penalties and shaky goaltending. Is this something in their heads?
                                Very good point. I wonder if this year will be different? IMO some ECAC coaches see non-conference play as little more that exhibition games while others see them as preparation for a NCAA run.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 10-27-2016, 02:58 AM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X