Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

Didn't see the game but chit happens sometimes. Great year Union, you made the ECAC proud.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Nothing to be ashamed of; you guys had a tremendous season. Way to represent the ECAC in the ranking all year round good luck to the seniors.

Comment

Congrats Dutchmen. You had a great season when many were not expecting it. No doubt more good times ahead.. (although I hope you don't take out your frustration against 'Gate next season)
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Penn state has a good offense so you guys did well only giving up one touchdown
          Yeah, but that field goal right before halftime was a killer..

First of all, want to say a huge THANK-YOU to all the seniors for a fantastic 4 years. This class was so important to the NC three years ago and put U back on the national map this season. Was a privelage to watch Vecks become the best forward in Union history, and with possibly one more honor to go. Taylor was a top defenseman his entire career and I think his contributions were a little under the radar. Sak held the fort at key times his freshman year when Stevens was out and improved so much the past couple years - he was absolutely a key to U's success this year & a main reason the team made it to the dance. Eli & Pontarelli were huge in the NC season and consummate team players throughout their careers, as was Krug who always seemed ready to step in and contribute. All will be sorely missed. Great young men and wish them nothing but success going forward.

As for the last game, all I'll say is sometimes that happens in the post season. Emotions are so high that when one team gets on a roll & the other team loses confidence it can get ugly. U put up 7 goals on one of the best defensive teams in the country in the NC game 3 years ago and there are plenty of other examples of really good teams getting blown out in big games. To me any score that had Union losing would have been equally disappointing. I don't think the team achieved what they did by fluke. In the end they just weren't balanced or experienced enough to succeed against the better teams. Should not diminish the great things the team accomplished this year.

Which is not to say there aren't concerns going forward, but I do think there is a very good recruiting class coming in and overall the future is bright. Hopefully the team will be super committed in the offseason to getting better and building off this season. Can't wait for puck drop in October!
          Last edited by ADK11; 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Nice run and sorry for that ending. If anyone is looking for a Ghost autographed Flyers jersey, there is and auction ending Tuesday. I have no connection, just ran across it today on Facebook. Price is low (so far). NOT game used. https://www.pristineauction.com/a862...ey-Beckett-COA
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Sounds like NDS is probably going to sign somewhere in the next few days. That will really hurt an already suspect defense. Ditto with Vecchione, obviously. Foo is still up in the air, but won't play pro anywhere this year, so he won't be burning a year of his ELC. Hopefully he'll take some time and decide to stick around for next season to play with his brother.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                Sounds like NDS is probably going to sign somewhere in the next few days. That will really hurt an already suspect defense. Ditto with Vecchione, obviously. Foo is still up in the air, but won't play pro anywhere this year, so he won't be burning a year of his ELC. Hopefully he'll take some time and decide to stick around for next season to play with his brother.
                Word I am hearing is that DeSimone is gone, Foo is gone, and Bennett is also looking around and likely gone....

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                  IMO The pro flight risks are both good news and bad news for U fans . In the modern age of college hockey if you don`t have a couple of guys that are good enough to play for pay your going to struggle.

Comment

I saw the DeSimone blurb on twitter. Any source you want to reveal on the other rumors?Other than MSU where would Bennet be looking at college level? They measure snow in 10 foot increments in northern michigan

Comment

NDS to San Jose, per Elliot Friedman. Foo may be finishing up his degree this spring, so he would obviously be gone if that's the case.

Originally posted by JakeMalloy View Post
                      Word I am hearing is that DeSimone is gone, Foo is gone, and Bennett is also looking around and likely gone....
                      Hadn't heard anything on Bennett, but that'd be quite the offseason upheaval. You have anything more on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeMalloy View Post
                        You never know with Foo but he has stated that he wants to play a year with his brother. We will see.

Comment

http://www.fearthefin.com/2017/3/28/...-nick-desimone
                          Link to the report on DeSimone and "rumor" on Foo being courted by the Sharks.

Foo will definitely be getting offers and likely some pretty good ones - Flyers & Oilers are also rumored to be interested. Question is if he feels there is unfinished business and wants to play a season with his brother. My feeling is he'll get a good offer and leave.. though I hope I'm wrong.
                          Last edited by ADK11; 03-28-2017, 10:11 PM.
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

The DiSimone rumors are surprising. He's a nice player, but he might jumping the gun by going pro after his junior year. It would hurt to lose him and the graduating J.Taylor. Union's defense was not the team's strong point this year even with those two, so there would be definite concern with both gone
                            Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Looks like Union could incur some big losses. The gutter ball rolled last weekend can not possibly diminish an amazing season for a team picked seventh in the league. With awards abounding for players and coach, enhanced by TWO Hobey finalists, one has to be impressed by Rick Bennett's ability. Should Nate Leaman be seduced by a fat contract at one of the big vacancies, Providence would likely be on the phone to Schenectady pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                                The DiSimone rumors are surprising. He's a nice player, but he might jumping the gun by going pro after his junior year. It would hurt to lose him and the graduating J.Taylor. Union's defense was not the team's strong point this year even with those two, so there would be definite concern with both gone
                                Agreed one more year would have been beneficial but the pros love Defensemen who can shoot that heavy shot like he has...
                                Now - with the two of the Offensive defensemen gone - maybe the defense can now concentrate on keeping the puck out of our net....
                                They will be missed but when you don't defend you need to score so many more goals..

Comment

Working...
                                X