Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

The Wisconsin/Penn State game is on the Big Ten Network. Channel 685 on Fios.
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 03-18-2017, 10:48 PM.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
      Union will finish in 8th in the Pairwise Rankings and will be the lowest ranked 2 seed regardless of the outcome of Penn State/Wisconsin.

If Penn State wins, they will be #9 overall and UMass Lowell will be #5 (the highest ranked 2 seed).

If Wisconsin wins, UMass Lowell becomes #4 overall and the lowest ranked 1 seed.

We want UMass Lowell to be a 1 seed so they stay out of the 2 band.
      Not sure any of that is going to make a difference. Denver & UMD are locks to be placed out west as overall #1 & #2. Harvard and either UML/Minnesota will be #1s in the east. UML will be east regardless as an overall #5 paired with Minny. If they're going to switch an eastern team to Harvard's bracket would most likely be BU who will be higher seed than U and a bigger draw.

This leave Union most likely in Fargo playing NoDak who is the host there.. essentially a home game for NoDak. If they somehow survive that, then likely will be #1 Denver - not an easy draw to say the least..
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Bottom line: If Penn State had lost that game, Union stays east. But Penn State won so now we're heading west. This will be the first National Tourney game that Union has played off the east coast. Sucks for the team and the fans.

I was all ready to book my travel to Providence or Manchester, but I can't make it to Cincy or Fargo. This will be the first Union National Tourney game that I will be unable to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
          Bottom line: If Penn State had lost that game, Union stays east. But Penn State won so now we're heading west. This will be the first National Tourney game that Union has played off the east coast. Sucks for the team and the fans.

I was all ready to book my travel to Providence or Manchester, but I can't make it to Cincy or Fargo. This will be the first Union National Tourney game that I will be unable to attend.
          Actually if Wisconsin had won, Union almost certainly would go west to Fargo as the 8-9 game would be Union-UND, 7 BU - 10 Cornell, 5 WMU - 11 PSU, and 6 MN - 12 Air Force
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Actually if Wisconsin had won, Union almost certainly would go west to Fargo as the 8-9 game would be Union-UND, 7 BU - 10 Cornell, 5 WMU - 11 PSU, and 6 MN - 12 Air Force
            I agree with UnionHockeyManiac. In that scenario I'd flip to Minnesota to Fargo and keep Union east. Now I have them west.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
              I agree with UnionHockeyManiac. In that scenario I'd flip to Minnesota to Fargo and keep Union east. Now I have them west.
              Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                Ah, missed that - you're right that change would've been made.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Looks like it could be North Dakota in Fargo
                  That is pretty brutal......
                  Congrats to the team on making the tourney at this point they are playing with house money.
                  Let's go U !
                  Last edited by Union27; 03-19-2017, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                    Looks like it could be North Dakota in Fargo
                    That is pretty brutal......
                    Congrats to the team on making the tourney at this point they are playing with house money.
                    Let's go U !
                    very brutal considering Ohio state was basically last team in (courtesy of Penn State win)
                    and they go to Cincinnati (basically a home game for them) .. They really need to rethink
                    how rewarding the #13-16 ranked teams with basic home games makes any sense...
                    They should travel no matter what!!

Comment

There seems to be a couple different scenarios out there that could have Union somewhere else than Fargo, so will have to wait and see. Jason Moy is predicting Union in Providence playing Air Force (Harvard-Providence the other pair). There's also speculation that UMD will be put in Fargo because of proximity, which could have U in Cincinnati playing Penn State. Looks like the committee has a number of options. Personally I don't see U getting moved east over BU, but stranger things have happened. Regardless, is fantastic the team will be playing next weekend and is a huge accomplishment for a team that wasn't supposed to get this far.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        There seems to be a couple different scenarios out there that could have Union somewhere else than Fargo, so will have to wait and see. Jason Moy is predicting Union in Providence playing Air Force (Harvard-Providence the other pair). There's also speculation that UMD will be put in Fargo because of proximity, which could have U in Cincinnati playing Penn State. Looks like the committee has a number of options. Personally I don't see U getting moved east over BU, but stranger things have happened. Regardless, is fantastic the team will be playing next weekend and is a huge accomplishment for a team that wasn't supposed to get this far.
                        I just believe that you can't reward the bottom 4 with basic home games - they weren't earned..
                        If they wanted to play at home - then by God be in the top 4.. or at least the top 8..
                        It's not rocket science - top 4 play in closest venue to their home..
                        Bottom 4 the farthest venue from their home that doesn't match them with a league foe
                        then dribble in the last 8 teams to meet the rest of the rules.. poof nobody has unearned favorable location

Comment

Playing Penn State in Cincy would make sense with the 8 vs 9 matchup instead of 8 vs 10. That would put Western Michigan in Fargo vs North Dakota. Great to still be having this discussion. Harvard looked great last night vs Cornell. They have a lot of the pieces to make a run at the NC.
                          We will know more shortly. Would love to see Vech/Foo and friends get another shot to show the country what they can do.
                          Let's go U !

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                            Playing Penn State in Cincy would make sense with the 8 vs 9 matchup instead of 8 vs 10. That would put Western Michigan in Fargo vs North Dakota. Great to still be having this discussion. Harvard looked great last night vs Cornell. They have a lot of the pieces to make a run at the NC.
                            We will know more shortly. Would love to see Vech/Foo and friends get another shot to show the country what they can do.
                            Let's go U !
                            Harvard looked really good - they are a well rounded team and have seniors everywhere. they were built for this years run..
                            - but I found it interesting that the stuff that wasn't called against Cornell in our game was called for Harvard last night
                            - imagine if we had 4 of the first 5 power plays in our game ? instead of getting two so late it didn't matter ...
                            I think Harvard will make the frozen four (unless they have to play Union along the way - we match up with them pretty well)
                            I also think union can play with anybody - if they protect the crease (not done against Cornell at all) and take the easy passes instead
                            of trying to force the clear up the boards.. they can skate with almost everybody and Sak has been solid when he has help..

Comment

• Originally posted by Union27 View Post
                              Let's go U !
                              Western can't play North Dakota because they're in the same conference, unfortunately.

Comment

I do not feel that we played our best hockey against Cornell in Ithaca, the two games against Princeton and of course the game Friday night against Cornell. Do we have the critical mass of players with "acid in the gut" that will drive this team deep into the playoffs? I wish we had a few more Maiers, Scarfo's, Supinski's, Vecs, Foos, and Alexs. Cornell's size did not intimidate Harvard as the Crimson took it too them.

This team has far exceeded my expectations. We have 4 players on the ECAC all-star teams. However, unless they all come with an intensity that we have seen at times during the year, we are no going very far.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X