Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 792

Thread: Union College: 2016-2017

  1. #741
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017


    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  2. #742
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Penn State:

    From February 1st,
    15 games,
    Won/Loss 8-7
    Av Goals - 3.33/3.13

    From March 1st,
    7 Games
    Won/Loss 4-3
    Av Goals - 3.14/2.71
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  3. #743
    Back-to-Back-to-Back!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    For the safety of the player - I hope nobody says (even if they know)
    Fair enough...so I guess I'd just like to know if he's healthy enough to play on Saturday.

  4. #744
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    210

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Just saw our bracket
    We just need to beat Penn State, then potentially the #1 team in the country, then potentially Cornell, then Harvard (#3) ? Should be a walk in the park: we only need a 4 games winning streak
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

  5. #745
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by aweise View Post
    Fair enough...so I guess I'd just like to know if he's healthy enough to play on Saturday.
    Union could be without one of its top forwards, Sebastian Vidmar, for the Penn State game. He was injured early in the Cornell loss and is questionable to be ready for Saturday.

    If hes in, good for us, Bennett said. It will absolutely be a game-time decision.

    https://dailygazette.com/article/201...e-out-in-style
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  6. #746
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Penn State Hockey:
    What To Know About Union
    by Ben Jones on March 20, 2017 1:55 PM
    http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...union,1471607/

    Top Line:
    Like most teams, Union looks to its top line for the bulk of its production and few players in college hockey have done a better job delivering than Mike Vecchione and Spencer Foo. With 62 and 60 points respectively that combination is one of the best Penn State has seen since Michigan's CCM line last season and third and fourth best nationally in total points. While Penn State fans certainly aren't rooting for injuries, this top line might be without its third piece in Sebastian Vidmar who suffered a knock against Cornell this past week and is questionable for Saturday. Vidmar racked up 40 points, the third best on the team behind his two linemates.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-21-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  7. #747
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    74

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Penn State Hockey:
    What To Know About Union
    by Ben Jones on March 20, 2017 1:55 PM
    http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...union,1471607/

    Top Line:
    Like most teams, Union looks to its top line for the bulk of its production and few players in college hockey have done a better job delivering than Mike Vecchione and Spencer Foo. With 62 and 60 points respectively that combination is one of the best Penn State has seen since Michigan's CCM line last season and third and fourth best nationally in total points. While Penn State fans certainly aren't rooting for injuries, this top line might be without its third piece in Sebastian Vidmar who suffered a knock against Cornell this past week and is questionable for Saturday. Vidmar racked up 40 points, the third best on the team behind his two linemates.
    Good thing we don't depend on the facts in their write up.. Although SAK as a junior sounds pretty good !!! ...
    Go U !!!

  8. #748
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Watching Harvard play Cornell on Saturday after we played them on Friday was eye opening and a study in contrast. It was a total 180 degrees. Harvard went after the puck with a vengeance. It was Cornell who was on its heals. Cornell score in the final minute to make it 4-1. The one play that summed it all up was when a 5'9" Harvard forward knocked a 6'4" Cornell player on his butt.

    For Friday, IMO, we had the largest fan turnout of any of the four teams.

    Sak stopped 21 shots in the first period or the score could have been much worse. It was an embarrassment. I don't know of any other tournament team that is failing to give 60 minutes of playoff hockey at this point in the season.

    Harvard had no fans to cheer them on but they did not need them. They were very skilled but they were also very "hungry".

    These Dutchmen have accomplished more than I ever thought. A league-best record. A Cleary Cup. Finishing in the top 10 with an invitation to the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed. Two Hobey Baker candidates, four members of the all ECAC league team including the MVP. Many of the players are STEM scholars as well. Bennett and the whole team deserve our praise and applause and thanks. Once again as fans they have made us proud.

    I hope we go the rest of the way giving 100% for 60 minutes and I hope we can leave everything on the ice.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  9. #749
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    74

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Watching Harvard play Cornell on Saturday after we played them on Friday was eye opening and a study in contrast. It was a total 180 degrees. Harvard went after the puck with a vengeance. It was Cornell who was on its heals. Cornell score in the final minute to make it 4-1. The one play that summed it all up was when a 5'9" Harvard forward knocked a 6'4" Cornell player on his butt.

    For Friday, IMO, we had the largest fan turnout of any of the four teams.

    Sak stopped 21 shots in the first period or the score could have been much worse. It was an embarrassment. I don't know of any other tournament team that is failing to give 60 minutes of playoff hockey at this point in the season.

    Harvard had no fans to cheer them on but they did not need them. They were very skilled but they were also very "hungry".

    These Dutchmen have accomplished more than I ever thought. A league-best record. A Cleary Cup. Finishing in the top 10 with an invitation to the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed. Two Hobey Baker candidates, four members of the all ECAC league team including the MVP. Many of the players are STEM scholars as well. Bennett and the whole team deserve our praise and applause and thanks. Once again as fans they have made us proud.

    I hope we go the rest of the way giving 100% for 60 minutes and I hope we can leave everything on the ice.
    Oh Dutchman.. So many good points in there and then you kinda ruin it with the "embarrassment" line..
    A team that has secured it's spot in the NCAA final field vs one who many considered on the bubble,
    A team with everything to play for is desperate and yet, in spite of that and the extra ncaa incentive only lead 2 to 1 till late. and having gotten
    more power play opportunities (4 to 2) - two on questionable calls (how is getting pushed into the goalie your fault? or having the man you are checking grab your stick your fault?).
    That my friend is hardly an embarrassment - at least to anyone not wearing stripes? (note for Harvard the penalties went the other way and even Cornell couldn't deal with it)
    The Union men didn't quit nor did they play as bad as the score would have one believe..

    They exceeded everyone's expectations and returned excitement to Union hockey.. I salute them !!
    Now take it to those cats in blue... Go U...

  10. #750
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Harvard Sports Hockey Blog Preview
    THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE HARVARD SPORTS ANALYSIS COLLECTIVE
    http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/201...s-and-preview/
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  11. #751
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Clint Eastwood's advice for the Dutchmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid-CW-O9Qw
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-23-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  12. #752
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017




    They are on their way !!!!
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  13. #753
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,511

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Watching Harvard play Cornell on Saturday after we played them on Friday was eye opening and a study in contrast. It was a total 180 degrees. Harvard went after the puck with a vengeance. It was Cornell who was on its heals. Cornell score in the final minute to make it 4-1. The one play that summed it all up was when a 5'9" Harvard forward knocked a 6'4" Cornell player on his butt.

    For Friday, IMO, we had the largest fan turnout of any of the four teams.

    Sak stopped 21 shots in the first period or the score could have been much worse. It was an embarrassment. I don't know of any other tournament team that is failing to give 60 minutes of playoff hockey at this point in the season.

    Harvard had no fans to cheer them on but they did not need them. They were very skilled but they were also very "hungry".

    These Dutchmen have accomplished more than I ever thought. A league-best record. A Cleary Cup. Finishing in the top 10 with an invitation to the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed. Two Hobey Baker candidates, four members of the all ECAC league team including the MVP. Many of the players are STEM scholars as well. Bennett and the whole team deserve our praise and applause and thanks. Once again as fans they have made us proud.

    I hope we go the rest of the way giving 100% for 60 minutes and I hope we can leave everything on the ice.
    First, Harvard did have fans at the game and our band actually showed up which was stunning to say the least. They made it to only two or three games this year.

    Second, if Cornell had converted a couple of their wide open looks at the net, the outcome on Saturday might have been very different. We were outplayed at times by the Big Red and it was our PP that was the difference in the game. Five on five, we had chances but so did they. Their puck possession wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. They hate us with the fire of a thousand suns which contributes to their energy and drive in playing us. Ultimately our skill won out but they hung tough.

    Third, you have a great team and it was not embarrassing to lose to Cornell. They were ranked as high as #9 in the polls this year. It was surprising to me to see a Union team that at times was sleepwalking through that game. Perhaps you expected the wider ice surface to play to your strengths. What's done is done. The Big Red deserve to be in the NCAA tournament as do you and let's hope we see each other one more time.

  14. #754
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,010

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    http://northofboston.wickedlocal.com...ncaa-title-run
    Nice local interview with Mike

    We laid an egg in the ECAC tournament, and it hurt sitting in our stalls after the game knowing we got outworked.

    Cornell is strong defensively, and we played right into their hands, which taxed our legs. We needed more guys battling and competing out there, but it just wasn't our night and we didn't capitalize on our chances. It was a good lesson for the younger guys, who haven't had that kind of playoff experience. Hopefully, it bumped us back on the right path going into the NCAAs.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-24-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  15. #755
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    92

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Vech was honest and candid with his comments in the interview.
    Playoff hockey is a different beast sometimes the moment is too big
    We all saw the progression with the NC team and how they learned
    from blowing the Colgate ECAC Playoff series their Freshmen year then not losing another ECAC playoff game for the next 3 years. Getting to the Frozen Four only to lose to Ferris State; these experiences helped to prep them for their NC run.
    Hopefully the team will have learned from the Cornell game and be ready for the next step in the opening round of the NCAA's.
    The team has had a great year and they are now playing with house money. Play with passion, desperation and stay out of the box this team has the talent and leadership to beat Penn State but they must play their A game for 60 minutes. Looking forward to the drop of the puck on Saturday......

    Let's go U !
    Last edited by Union27; 03-24-2017 at 09:41 PM.

  16. #756
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    88

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Congratulations to Union on a good regular season. Looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by Vaportrail; 03-25-2017 at 06:37 PM.

  17. #757
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    92

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Congrats Penn State and good luck against Denver..

    Congrats Union on an excellent year no one expected you to have the year you had. This team exceeded expectations in every way. Being a co winner of the Cleary Cup and getting back to the NCAA tourney were great achievements. To our Seniors thanks for everything you did for the program and best of luck as you move on to the next chapter.
    Vech & Foo had monster years....just unbelievable production and performance. Also terrific young men who are both deserving of the Hobey. Looking forward to next season already...
    Good luck Harvard make the ECAC proud you have the talent and experience to bring home the NC.
    Until next year Let's go U !

  18. #758
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    210

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Congrats to Pen State !!!!!!!
    That was BRUTAL.
    Can't remember the last time that many goals were scored against us... or such a huge goal difference...
    We were in the game in the first, with clear chances, until the PP goal... After that, it was like a different team was on the ice. Nothing went our way and Penn State went to town relentlessly! Hope the players learn from that.
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

  19. #759
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    11,554
    Quote Originally Posted by UFan View Post
    Congrats to Pen State !!!!!!!
    That was BRUTAL.
    Can't remember the last time that many goals were scored against us... or such a huge goal difference...
    We were in the game in the first, with clear chances, until the PP goal... After that, it was like a different team was on the ice. Nothing went our way and Penn State went to town relentlessly! Hope the players learn from that.
    Per CHN, first time Union has allowed 10. Might be why you can't remember it

  20. #760
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,484

    Re: Union College: 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Per CHN, first time Union has allowed 10. Might be why you can't remember it
    I feel like Clarkson scored 10 on Union in 1992-93, my freshman year at Clarkson. I remember the score chant where we counted by 2's instead of 1's because it would have taken too long.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •